Stanford v. UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kak5n

Bronze

Stanford v. UVA

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I have a dilemma and would love some advice! I got into Stanford (definitely a reach and a huge surprise) and UVA (which was my target school as a resident and undergrad there). Do you think the prestige/education at Stanford overrides the practicality of going to a less expensive but highly-ranked school like UVA (where I am also more likely to get merit-based aid)? Other factors: my SO is most likely going to medical school at UVA, I eventually want to settle back on the east coast (DC or NYC), and I am interested in intellectual property/healthcare law.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Stanford v. UVA

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Not to be nosy, but what type of income do you have? That, in combination with the type of aid that UVA awards you, should be crucial in your decision. Stanford only gives need based aid--so your earnings will determine how much merit they provide you. Where you want to work shouldn't play a role in this decision. The only place where Stanford might not have an advantage over UVA is the South, and even there if you have a connection to the South Stanford will be better.

Don't forget that Stanford has the strongest intellectual property program in the nation.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 pm

kak5n wrote:I have a dilemma and would love some advice! I got into Stanford (definitely a reach and a huge surprise) and UVA (which was my target school as a resident and undergrad there). Do you think the prestige/education at Stanford overrides the practicality of going to a less expensive but highly-ranked school like UVA (where I am also more likely to get merit-based aid)? Other factors: my SO is most likely going to medical school at UVA, I eventually want to settle back on the east coast (DC or NYC), and I am interested in intellectual property/healthcare law.

Any opinions would be appreciated!
I would wait until you know how much aid you're getting from each school before you decide.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 pm

If UVA does not offer you merit aid, you should go to Stanford. But with the right amount of aid, UVA may be the better choice, especially considering that your SO will be there. Make sure UVA knows that (a) you've been admitted to Stanford, and (b) you're still interested in attending UVA. Good luck!

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Congrats on the acceptances! Both are great law schools and both are hard to get into. Stanford most likely serves your long term career interests better than Virginia. With that said, if this SO is someone you think you might stay with permanently, that factor might be enough to change my mind. Definitely try to get some SERIOUS aid out of the Virginia though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Zero income myself, so I will be taking out loans for my law school education regardless. I don't have any debt from undergrad, thankfully. However, I'm still a dependent of my parents, who will be paying for my living expenses in law school. It kind of sucks because although my parents are definitely in a high income bracket, there is no way they can afford to pay for my law school, especially at Stanford. At the same time, there is little chance I will be getting much need-based aid from Stanford because of their income. Little bit of a catch-22.

Does anyone know how exactly I can let UVA know about my situation? I shrink away a little from the thought of sending a blunt letter or email. What is the proper etiquette for asking for money in light of my acceptance to Stanford?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:37 pm

kak5n wrote:Thanks for the advice!

Zero income myself, so I will be taking out loans for my law school education regardless. I don't have any debt from undergrad, thankfully. However, I'm still a dependent of my parents, who will be paying for my living expenses in law school. It kind of sucks because although my parents are definitely in a high income bracket, there is no way they can afford to pay for my law school, especially at Stanford. At the same time, there is little chance I will be getting much need-based aid from Stanford because of their income. Little bit of a catch-22.

Does anyone know how exactly I can let UVA know about my situation? I shrink away a little from the thought of sending a blunt letter or email. What is the proper etiquette for asking for money in light of my acceptance to Stanford?
It sounds like your parents make too much money for you to get significant aid at Stanford. If UVA offers you a full ride, or close to it, you should definitely consider it. Your career interests should play a big role in your decision (ie do you want a federal clerkship, do you just want to work in a firm etc.).

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:43 pm

You don't want to bluntly state "I've been admitted to Stanford but will attend UVA with the right amount of aid." If you plan on visiting UVA admissions in the next couple months, the simplest way would be to mention in conversation that you're also considering Stanford. If you don't plan on visiting, email admissions a question that gives you the opportunity to mention Stanford.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Cavalier wrote:
You don't want to bluntly state "I've been admitted to Stanford but will attend UVA with the right amount of aid." If you plan on visiting UVA admissions in the next couple months, the simplest way would be to mention in conversation that you're also considering Stanford. If you don't plan on visiting, email admissions a question that gives you the opportunity to mention Stanford.
I can definitely visit admissions since I'm still in Charlottesville for undergrad (I love your username + avatar btw!). Sounds like a good way to do it! Thanks :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:18 pm

kak5n wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
I can definitely visit admissions since I'm still in Charlottesville for undergrad (I love your username + avatar btw!). Sounds like a good way to do it! Thanks :)
Wow congrats! that is a good dilemma to be in. One thing you need to think about is: How hard would your 1L be if you did a long distance relationship? That is if you plan to stay with your SO long term. That played a small role in my asking for a deferral as i know it would hurt my 1L grades greatly.

Either way you are in a great situation. You going to UVA law and your SO going to UVA med, man you guys are going to have some nice shit lol

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:30 pm

do you want to practice in VA?

i think it is tough to pick UVA over Stanford. although UVA is a great school, Stanford is definitely in the top range of schools (in which there is a moderate drop off to Columbia). personally, i'd pick Stanford over Harvard or Yale cause the campus life just seems unreal.

if it is within 15k a year cost wise, i think you will spend a lot of time asking "what if," if you go to UVA. UVA is amazing, and i'd be honored to wind up there, but Stanford is in a different league.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Write a handwritten note inquiring about aid on the back of you Stanford acceptance letter.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

Write a handwritten note inquiring about aid on the back of you Stanford acceptance letter.
HAHAHA this would be awsome!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm

How significant is your significant other ? The first year of both medical & law school is quite stressful for most students which can result in seeking comfort. Will you be there for each other ? Do you care ? Really comes down to how significant your significant other is to you.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 pm

I'll just say that if I was your SO and I was signed up and committed to UVA, I would dump you if you chose Stanford.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:How significant is your significant other ? The first year of both medical & law school is quite stressful for most students which can result in seeking comfort. Will you be there for each other ? Do you care ? Really comes down to how significant your significant other is to you.
This

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

gmail wrote:I'll just say that if I was your SO and I was signed up and committed to UVA, I would dump you if you chose Stanford.
Yea, most would. BUT Stanford is hard to pass up

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:How significant is your significant other ? The first year of both medical & law school is quite stressful for most students which can result in seeking comfort. Will you be there for each other ? Do you care ? Really comes down to how significant your significant other is to you.
This
And if it is pretty significant get a ring on someone's finger quickly.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
This
This also.

Another thing, dont consider it a bad thing that you have to pass up stanford. UVA is an amazing school and i dont think you will be disadvantaged based on where you want to work. If it was california then it would be a different story. You are lucky to have someone who is smart enough to get into UVA med while you are getting into UVA law. Both of those degrees are amazing. Plus if you stick with him/her? then at least they will be in a very stable career :p

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
This
Haha wow didn't expect this to become a discussion of my love life. We've been together for three years, including semesters and summers apart for study abroad, but we are also very young (21) so I doubt an engagement is in the near future. I think we can make it through med/law school, but it would obviously be easier if we were closer to each other. He says he wants me to go to Stanford but I know that he would love it if I were at the same school. The ideal situation, of course, is that we make it through even if I go to Stanford. I know I would be happy at UVA but afraid that I would always be wondering about Stanford...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:40 pm

kak5n wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
This
Haha wow didn't expect this to become a discussion of my love life. We've been together for three years, including semesters and summers apart for study abroad, but we are also very young (21) so I doubt an engagement is in the near future. I think we can make it through med/law school, but it would obviously be easier if we were closer to each other. He says he wants me to go to Stanford but I know that he would love it if I were at the same school. The ideal situation, of course, is that we make it through even if I go to Stanford. I know I would be happy at UVA but afraid that I would always be wondering about Stanford...
Sorry, but dont kid yourself. That will be a very hard 3 years for you and even more for him. You will be about as far away as you can get from one another.

21 is not that young, there are many 21/22 year olds that are married and in Law/Med school. And honestly if you have been together for over 3 years, you are that old, and your not even thinking about considering marriage, then yea take Stanford so you dont always wonder "what if"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:48 pm

I would personally go to Stanford over full-ride UVA. Stanford's name and rep will stay with you forever and you would be much more likely to land an awesome job.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 pm

Sorry, but dont kid yourself. That will be a very hard 3 years for you and even more for him. You will be about as far away as you can get from one another.

21 is not that young, there are many 21/22 year olds that are married and in Law/Med school. And honestly if you have been together for over 3 years, you are that old, and your not even thinking about considering marriage, then yea take Stanford so you dont always wonder "what if"[/quote]

True, we are not that young-22 is a relatively normal age to get engaged..and I would prefer to be engaged before grad school, but it's sort of out of my hands as the girl :-P (anti-feminist much? :-P). We have pretty much concluded that we are going to get married but not for another three or four years, as we both think it makes no sense to get married when we are still dependent on our parents. So, if I went to Stanford and we broke up, I would be thinking "what if" about the relationship and UVA. So... back to square one.

Anyways, I guess I will just wait for the financial aid offers to make sure I have all the information in my hands before making a decision.

P.S. Thank you all for the discussion.. it's good to talk to people who have a more distant perspective!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Ragged wrote:I would personally go to Stanford over full-ride UVA. Stanford's name and rep will stay with you forever and you would be much more likely to land an awesome job.
Although I'm not going to disagree with this too much, attending a school where only 5 other legal institutions have a stronger legal reputation--for free--is an incredible opportunity.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Ragged wrote:I would personally go to Stanford over full-ride UVA. Stanford's name and rep will stay with you forever and you would be much more likely to land an awesome job.
Although I'm not going to disagree with this too much, attending a school where only 5 other legal institutions have a stronger legal reputation--for free--is an incredible opportunity.
Full ride would be great... but I didn't get any offer with my acceptance. How common is it for someone to get a full ride later in the process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”