BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
username99

BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby username99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:38 pm

If someone hasn't beat me to it, shall we have the annual BU or BC discussion? All things equal, which is best? I hear that BU is better for national prospects, while BC is better in Boston. What say you?

im_blue

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

username99 wrote: BU is better for national prospects, while BC is better equal in Boston.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Definitely not getting into this again. Check the millions of other threads.

Hint: both are regional schools.

/thread

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

BCLS wrote:Definitely not getting into this again. Check the millions of other threads. /thread

Well has anything changed since then with the changed economy?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Nothing has changed. Their placement has almost always been identical. If the economy worsens, BU/BC's placement will worsen in harmony. Same if it improves.

If you must have placement stats, look up the NLJ250 for the past 5 years or so to compare big-law placement. You'll see its VERY similar. In fact, the go to schools has BU and BC tied at 34.5% in NLJ250. for 2009 or something.

It really comes down to personal preference.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

BCLS wrote:Nothing has changed. Their placement has almost always been identical. If the economy worsens, BU/BC's placement will worsen in harmony. Same if it improves.

If you must have placement stats, look up the NLJ250 for the past 5 years or so to compare big-law placement. You'll see its VERY similar. In fact, the go to schools has BU and BC tied at 34.5% in NLJ250. for 2009 or something.

It really comes down to personal preference.

+1. They're very similar. Personal preference and money will guide your decision here.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm

BU tends to place more students outside of New England because their student body tends to be a bit more eclectic and international (as is the case with the university as a whole). BC traditionally tends to be comprised of more students from New England, and therefore has a stronger alumni base in the city of Boston.

The feel of the 2 schools is different. BU is right on the outskirts of the city, and certainly has a more urban feel. You are right off a major street, and it only takes minutes to get into the heart of Boston via the T (subway). BC is located out in Newton, so you get a suburban feel and access to the city isn't quite as easy. The atmosphere is obviously going to be quieter and less crazy than the more urban BU campus. As far as reputations go, both schools are seen as equals, and the stats back up that conclusion.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Agree with the above post that the law school environments are quite different at BC & BU while placement opportunities are similiar.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

I fangirl both of these schools hardcore. I wish to get accepted to just one, let alone two.

But had I been given the choice between the two schools, I would honestly say it would be based on $$$$.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm

dakatz wrote:BU tends to place more students outside of New England because their student body tends to be a bit more eclectic and international (as is the case with the university as a whole). BC traditionally tends to be comprised of more students from New England, and therefore has a stronger alumni base in the city of Boston.

The feel of the 2 schools is different. BU is right on the outskirts of the city, and certainly has a more urban feel. You are right off a major street, and it only takes minutes to get into the heart of Boston via the T (subway). BC is located out in Newton, so you get a suburban feel and access to the city isn't quite as easy. The atmosphere is obviously going to be quieter and less crazy than the more urban BU campus. As far as reputations go, both schools are seen as equals, and the stats back up that conclusion.

Fair analysis-- although as a BC student I must say most of us live in Allston/Brighton-- right near BU.

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:02 pm

How do they compare regarding faculty, student congeniality, competitiveness, etc?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 pm

username99 wrote:How do they compare regarding faculty, student congeniality, competitiveness, etc?

That's tough. Fairly comparable I'd say. I can speak for BC and say the students and faculty go above and beyond. Almost every student shares outlines and helps each other. Same with the professors, the are phenomenal teachers always holding office hours and answering emails within five minutes.

I'm sure the same can be said for BU. These schools are seriously almost identical in terms of quality. Go to the $$$$$ or location you prefer.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 pm

The schools are pretty much the exact same when it comes to placement in law firms/clerkships. However, very different atmosphers, as others have mentioned. Also, while the professors, stats and placement stats of the law schools are almost identical, the institutions are very different as a whole; BC has gothic campus with big time sports and a more traditional collegial feel and alumni base; BU has a more urban campus with a huge student body. Neither is better than the other, just different.

The only way to choose between them is to visit and see which atmosphere you like more, assuming you get into both. Sometimes people will get into one but not the other, with no real discernable difference. Rare though.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm

username99 wrote:How do they compare regarding faculty, student congeniality, competitiveness, etc?

I can't really speak to the BC faculty, but I can say that the BU faculty is my absolute favorite part of the school thus far. They weren't joking around when Princeton Review named as top law school faculty a few years ago, and still have us ranked right near the top. We have a university-wide competition each year at BU in which students nominate their favorite professors, and the best ones receive what we call the Metcalf Cup. Given the HUGE number of faculty at BU, this is a very tough award to win. Yet I get the chance in my 1L year to have a cup winner both semesters. In fact 2 of the 3 1L contracts professors have won this award, as has our Dean, a former professor.

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:24 pm

dakatz wrote:

I can't really speak to the BC faculty, but I can say that the BU faculty is my absolute favorite part of the school thus far. They weren't joking around when Princeton Review named as top law school faculty a few years ago, and still have us ranked right near the top. We have a university-wide competition each year at BU in which students nominate their favorite professors, and the best ones receive what we call the Metcalf Cup. Given the HUGE number of faculty at BU, this is a very tough award to win. Yet I get the chance in my 1L year to have a cup winner both semesters. In fact 2 of the 3 1L contracts professors have won this award, as has our Dean, a former professor.

DaKatz, by the way, is one helpful individual. Seriously. Thanks again for your insight!

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:29 pm

username99 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

DaKatz, by the way, is one helpful individual. Seriously. Thanks again for your insight!

I hope that didn't sound sarcastic - DaKatz is seriously really helpful with BU info.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I love BU faculty!!!

I actually watched a class online about the "singing professor." He was AWESOME.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:But had I been given the choice between the two schools, I would honestly say it would be based on $$$$.

TCR.

Also, liking the BC/BU love thats going on in this thread. I worked over the summer with both BC/BU students and generally liked everyone a lot. Both draw a slightly nerdy crowd - I think BU just tends to attract more people from other states, hence the higher diversity of placement, while BC people tend to be from CT/NY/MA and so stick around. So yea, fluctuations in placement stats/regionality are likely just based off that distinction. If you have ties to CA or whatever and go to either, you probably won't be disadvantaged one way or the other.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I actually watched a class online about the "singing professor." He was AWESOME.

Ah, Petit. Fantastic teacher. DaKatz or any other BU students out there, if you have Lawson, you're in for a good semester - favorite teacher.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:I actually watched a class online about the "singing professor." He was AWESOME.

Ah, Petit. Fantastic teacher. DaKatz or any other BU students out there, if you have Lawson, you're in for a good semester - favorite teacher.

I have him Lawson up next semester. With the morning dose of Maclin, I'm thinking next semester will be pretty crazy

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:39 pm

I visited both schools during this past summer, and it seemed like the BC adcomm people were much nicer than the BU people. The BU adcomm was very arrogant, and was talking down to me. Little did she know that her school was actually my safety. Other than that, I preferred BU because of its central location.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I visited both schools during this past summer, and it seemed like the BC adcomm people were much nicer than the BU people. The BU adcomm was very arrogant, and was talking down to me. Little did she know that her school was actually my safety. Other than that, I preferred BU because of its central location.

Lol, may I point out the irony of this comment coming from someone with the username "icouldbuyu"? :)

In all seriousness, you must have just caught someone on a bad day. Sorry you didn't have a positive experience with the adcom you spoke with.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:58 pm

college

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I visited both schools during this past summer, and it seemed like the BC adcomm people were much nicer than the BU people. The BU adcomm was very arrogant, and was talking down to me. Little did she know that her school was actually my safety. Other than that, I preferred BU because of its central location.

Yea, I had the opposite experience, BC was sort of nasty when I kept asking them when my financial aid would come - even though the deposit was due the next day :roll: . I tall depends . . . also, once you get in, the adcomm means zilcho.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:05 pm

I can't say I had much experience with the BU admissions office aside from them telling me I couldn't retroactively use the fee waiver they sent me since I had already applied (yes, BU, I'd still like my 80 bucks back :))

However, I had a great experience with the BC admissions people when I went to visit. Got there early before a tour and the 2 people working there were really great. That being said, I hated their financial aid process and the complete lack of info, but that is no reflection of the admissions people themselves.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”