Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
I've got a pretty generous offer from W&M (I will pay about $15k/yr out of state).
Still waiting on responses from Penn, GULC, and Vandy.
If I'm accepted any of these places, I doubt it will be with money. So...I've already decided that I'm willing to pay sticker at Penn, and not willing to pay sticker at Vandy.
Now the question is: Am I willing to pay sticker an extra $25k/yr just in tuition (who knows how much extra in living expenses?) to attend GULC rather than W&M???
Any thoughts?
FWIW: I'm really not looking for BigLaw. I would like to do corporate or public policy, and WM has a JD/Master of Public Policy program, and the new Senate Majority leader is a WM Law Alum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 14841
Numbers?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 14841
Capitol A wrote:
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?

Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:43 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Posts: 21422
rad law wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?

Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 2708
rad law wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?

Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.

rad truth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am
Posts: 917
What everybody else said is true.
But if you WERE to get into GULC, a big factor would be where you want to work. Georgetown would open many more door in areas outside of VA/DC. However, W&M is a good school, and strong in the region, so if you want to stick around the VA area, consider taking the $$$.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm
Posts: 57
Capitol A wrote:
I've got a pretty generous offer from W&M (I will pay about $15k/yr out of state).
Still waiting on responses from Penn, GULC, and Vandy.
If I'm accepted any of these places, I doubt it will be with money. So...I've already decided that I'm willing to pay sticker at Penn, and not willing to pay sticker at Vandy.
Now the question is: Am I willing to pay sticker an extra $25k/yr just in tuition (who knows how much extra in living expenses?) to attend GULC rather than W&M???
Any thoughts?
FWIW: I'm really not looking for BigLaw. I would like to do corporate or public policy, and WM has a JD/Master of Public Policy program, and the new Senate Majority leader is a WM Law Alum.


Huh?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 787
Keats wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
I've got a pretty generous offer from W&M (I will pay about $15k/yr out of state).
Still waiting on responses from Penn, GULC, and Vandy.
If I'm accepted any of these places, I doubt it will be with money. So...I've already decided that I'm willing to pay sticker at Penn, and not willing to pay sticker at Vandy.
Now the question is: Am I willing to pay sticker an extra $25k/yr just in tuition (who knows how much extra in living expenses?) to attend GULC rather than W&M???
Any thoughts?
FWIW: I'm really not looking for BigLaw. I would like to do corporate or public policy, and WM has a JD/Master of Public Policy program, and the new Senate Majority leader is a WM Law Alum.


Huh?


I think he or she meant the new House Majority Leader, Eric Cantor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
ksimon2007 wrote:
Keats wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
I've got a pretty generous offer from W&M (I will pay about $15k/yr out of state).
Still waiting on responses from Penn, GULC, and Vandy.
If I'm accepted any of these places, I doubt it will be with money. So...I've already decided that I'm willing to pay sticker at Penn, and not willing to pay sticker at Vandy.
Now the question is: Am I willing to pay sticker an extra $25k/yr just in tuition (who knows how much extra in living expenses?) to attend GULC rather than W&M???
Any thoughts?
FWIW: I'm really not looking for BigLaw. I would like to do corporate or public policy, and WM has a JD/Master of Public Policy program, and the new Senate Majority leader is a WM Law Alum.


Huh?


I think he or she meant the new House Majority Leader, Eric Cantor.

right. And im a big politics/policy guy ;) so that's cool to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
dextermorgan wrote:
rad law wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?

Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.

rad truth

Im sure you're right, but I didn't think I would get money at wm either, and im trying to be sure of the decision. Maybe it will be made for me...strangely that would be kind of nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am
Posts: 4903
Capitol A wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
rad law wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
165/3.62.
Why does that matter?

Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.

rad truth

Im sure you're right, but I didn't think I would get money at wm either, and im trying to be sure of the decision. Maybe it will be made for me...strangely that would be kind of nice.

You're at W&M's median LSAT and almost at their median GPA, so it's not surprising that you got $. Getting into Penn, GULC, or Vandy would take an act of God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1217
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 889
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


What do you mean when you wrote this, just curious?

OP: compare these links. One "Eric Cantor" doesn't make W&M more desirable than GULC. In addition, Cantor is a VA resident, and you are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown ... ble_alumni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colleg ... ble_alumni


Last edited by tea_drinker on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
I don't care that eric cantor went there. I didn't even credit him to the right office. I don't care who has graduated from any school.
I too am curious, however why someone would be so glad they aren't in williamsburg?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am
Posts: 686
Capitol A wrote:
Im sure you're right, but I didn't think I would get money at wm either, and im trying to be sure of the decision. Maybe it will be made for me...strangely that would be kind of nice.


It has already been made for you - GULC isn't going to happen with your numbers. It's not worth sticker ITE anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
concurrent fork wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
Im sure you're right, but I didn't think I would get money at wm either, and im trying to be sure of the decision. Maybe it will be made for me...strangely that would be kind of nice.


It has already been made for you - GULC isn't going to happen with your numbers. It's not worth sticker ITE anyway.


I'm at the medians for the GULC PT program, and my understanding is that transferring to FT is pretty simple.
The second part of your post is the crux of my question...Given the option, is GULC worth sticker when W&M with scholly is an option?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1217
tea_drinker wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


What do you mean when you wrote this, just curious?


Would not want to spend a single year of my twenties in a town with 12,000 people


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am
Posts: 2547
NU_Jet55 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


What do you mean when you wrote this, just curious?


Would not want to spend a single year of my twenties in a town with 12,000 people


Coming from someone in St. Louis? hahahahahah.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am
Posts: 917
Blindmelon wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Would not want to spend a single year of my twenties in a town with 12,000 people


Coming from someone in St. Louis? hahahahahah.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 758
Blindmelon wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


What do you mean when you wrote this, just curious?


Would not want to spend a single year of my twenties in a town with 12,000 people


Coming from someone in St. Louis? hahahahahah.

+1.
Also, I will only be in my 20's for about 2months after I move there.
My Great Dane and Doberman will undoubtedly appreciate life in Williamsburg much more than they would life in D.C.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1217
Blindmelon wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Reading this post just reminded me how glad I am I'm not in Williamsburg right now.


What do you mean when you wrote this, just curious?


Would not want to spend a single year of my twenties in a town with 12,000 people


Coming from someone in St. Louis? hahahahahah.


I guess you're saying St. Louis is boring? It's no NYC, but there is no comparison between the 18th largest metro area in the United States and Bumfucksburg, Virginia.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am
Posts: 1115
OP must be URM. ppl with much higher LSAT's got less $ to w&m.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am
Posts: 2547
NU_Jet55 wrote:
I guess you're saying St. Louis is boring? It's no NYC, but there is no comparison between the 18th largest metro area in the United States and Bumfucksburg, Virginia.


Hm. A little boring vs. horrible crime/murder-rate? Toughhhh decision.

I wouldn't spend a year in my life in St. Louis. Life is short, no reason to make it shorter by living in St. Louis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm
Posts: 1213
Capitol A wrote:
I'm at the medians for the GULC PT program, and my understanding is that transferring to FT is pretty simple.
The second part of your post is the crux of my question...Given the option, is GULC worth sticker when W&M with scholly is an option?

I'm fairly certain that the median GULC PT numbers on the TLS profile are no longer correct, if that is where you're drawing that data from.

Applicants on LSN accepted to gulc last cycle with a 165 or below (both FT and PT programs):
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... =3&type=jd

URMs: 18/19


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gnomgnomuch and 9 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB