part-time -> full-time -> transfer (fordham)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
downing

part-time -> full-time -> transfer (fordham)

Postby downing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:38 am

My #1 choice is Fordham at the moment, and I'll be applying part time (as soon as I receive my two recommendations). Supposing I get in, I'm planning to become a full time student. If I do well enough, I may want to transfer to another school. Is it possible to do so after completing the summer courses that would being you up to the end of the 1st year full-time program? How would being in part-time affect your class rank?

James Bond

Re: part-time -> full-time -> transfer (fordham)

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 am

Might want to talk to OperaSoprano about this

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:56 am

IBOS

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm

A long response to this is possible. Fordham itself makes it easy for you to switch to the day program. I did that myself, and will graduate in three years unless I decide to do otherwise. Fordham is awesome about being flexible regarding when and where you take your credits, so long as you satisfy graduation requirements.

Transferring to another school is where things get interesting. If your goal is biglaw and you have good enough grades to pull off a T14 transfer, you almost certainly have the grades to get biglaw from Fordham. In fact, as many of my classmates van attest, slightly lower grades are commonly fine for the latter. Do certain schools discriminate against PT students? Yeah, definitely. Two students with truly astronomical grades where denied transfer admission to Columbia on account of PT status (there was no other rational explanation). However, they did get into NYU. UVA is another school that is perfectly happy to take PT transfers, with the caveat that you need VA state residence to have more than the tiniest chance. GULC is likewise very PT transfer friendly, but likely not worth giving up a law review seat here unless you know you want DC. Berkeley says it does not take PT transfers, but it did last cycle. My records indicate that HLS has, on very rare occasions, taken PT transfers, so nothing is impossible.

I should note that all transfer tales are personally verified by me, and further note that you should never plan on transferring schools. It's even more unpredictable for PT students, and one bad grade can take you bang out of the running with so few credits. That said, starting here at Fordham as a PT student could not have been a better fit for me, and I am very happy I got to balance school and interning the way I did.

One last thing- unless something changed drastically, Fordham does not require those two recs. Send them anyway if you can get them, but it's more crucial to apply at an earlier date.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”