NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

NYU
39
51%
Penn
18
24%
Michigan
19
25%
 
Total votes: 76

User avatar
fugitivejammer
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby fugitivejammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:15 pm

rayiner wrote:NYU no contest.


Hm...well when u put it THAT way...

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby rayiner » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:
rayiner wrote:NYU no contest.


Hm...well when u put it THAT way...


Michigan's job placeme just isn't at the same level as NYU and Penn. You want to go somewhere where all your classmates will be getting jobs in NYC, leaving more room for you target DC.

User avatar
fugitivejammer
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby fugitivejammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:30 pm

rayiner wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:
rayiner wrote:NYU no contest.


Hm...well when u put it THAT way...


Michigan's job placeme just isn't at the same level as NYU and Penn. You want to go somewhere where all your classmates will be getting jobs in NYC, leaving more room for you target DC.


That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm just not completely convinced that NYU>P for DC placement. I feel they are peers with that regard, and having said that, P is the cheaper option (COL) and better location (close to family/friends and he loves the city). It just makes so much sense to me, unless I'm missing something. Man, i must sound like a broken record lol. OK last post here, i promise nickipetea!!!

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

rayiner wrote: Michigan's job placeme just isn't at the same level as NYU and Penn. You want to go somewhere where all your classmates will be getting jobs in NYC, leaving more room for you target DC.


There he goes again...Michigan does place more into DC than NYU and Penn, meaning better ties with DC firms (and more DC firms at OCI). Aren't you the one that posts about Penn having better placement into NYC because of "ties" with NYC firms?

While most of my friends at Michigan are headed to New York next summer, some are headed to DC biglaw. DC is more grade focused than New York. I'm not convinced that DC firms will dig deeper at NYU than the other two schools.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby rayiner » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:34 pm

irishman86 wrote:
rayiner wrote: Michigan's job placeme just isn't at the same level as NYU and Penn. You want to go somewhere where all your classmates will be getting jobs in NYC, leaving more room for you target DC.


There he goes again...Michigan does place more into DC than NYU and Penn, meaning better ties with DC firms (and more DC firms at OCI). Aren't you the one that posts about Penn having better placement into NYC because of "ties" with NYC firms?

While most of my friends at Michigan are headed to New York next summer, some are headed to DC biglaw. DC is more grade focused than New York. I'm not convinced that DC firms will dig deeper at NYU than the other two schools.


I interviewed in DC this OCI cycle. I met a number of NYU grads at my callbacks, and I think NYU has a better reputation in DC than Michigan. DC firms are very prestige conscious and everyone knows that NYU is a better school than Michigan.

Getting a job in DC isn't just about meeting the grade cut-offs. If you're top 1/4 at any T14 you're above the cut-off at a lot of good DC firms. However, within that pool of people who have the requisite grades, only a fraction will get an offer. At a place like NYU where most of the people with DC-caliber grades want NYC, your odds are better.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:57 pm

rayiner wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
rayiner wrote: Michigan's job placeme just isn't at the same level as NYU and Penn. You want to go somewhere where all your classmates will be getting jobs in NYC, leaving more room for you target DC.


There he goes again...Michigan does place more into DC than NYU and Penn, meaning better ties with DC firms (and more DC firms at OCI). Aren't you the one that posts about Penn having better placement into NYC because of "ties" with NYC firms?

While most of my friends at Michigan are headed to New York next summer, some are headed to DC biglaw. DC is more grade focused than New York. I'm not convinced that DC firms will dig deeper at NYU than the other two schools.


I interviewed in DC this OCI cycle. I met a number of NYU grads at my callbacks, and I think NYU has a better reputation in DC than Michigan. DC firms are very prestige conscious and everyone knows that NYU is a better school than Michigan.

Getting a job in DC isn't just about meeting the grade cut-offs. If you're top 1/4 at any T14 you're above the cut-off at a lot of good DC firms. However, within that pool of people who have the requisite grades, only a fraction will get an offer. At a place like NYU where most of the people with DC-caliber grades want NYC, your odds are better.


I think NYU is generally a better school for biglaw than Michigan and Penn, but your arguments lie beyond this simple comparison. (And to be honest, I'm not sure how much NYU's slight additional prestige matters for DC biglaw.)

From what I have read of your posts, it seems that you switch methods of analysis in order to troll against Michigan. For example, in other threads you use the "firm ties" method of analysis, to argue that Penn has an advantage in NYC. Alternatively, in this thread you use the "fewer competition" method of analysis to contend that Penn has an advantage in DC over Michigan because fewer people at the top of the class want to work in DC. Applying both methods of analysis to Michigan leads to contrasting results:

Michigan historically places a higher percentage of the class into DC than Penn and more DC firms go to Michigan's OCI. Using the "firm ties" method of analysis, Michigan has better ties with DC offices, therefore resulting in better DC placement. Furthermore, the top of the class at Michigan tends to gun for DC, not New York. Based on the fewer competition method of analysis, it is easier to place into New York from Michigan than from Penn because there's less competition from the top of the class for NYC jobs at Michigan and firms want school diversity.

So which method of analysis shall we apply? Applying both methods of analysis to both schools for the same markets leads to contrasting results. Or do you simply utilize a different method of analysis to troll against Michigan depending on what market is at issue?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests