Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham for Sticker?

Yes
37
24%
Yes, but not for BigLaw
18
12%
No
98
64%
 
Total votes: 153

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Discuss. I am asking for one of my brothers considering it.
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby kk19131 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Ridiculous. :lol:

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm

How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Could be worth it with IBR.

IBOS

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.


Because I assume BigLAw jobs are few and far between for Fordham Grads, thus more risk if BigLaw is your only goal.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby kk19131 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:21 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.


Because I assume BigLAw jobs are few and far between for Fordham Grads, thus more risk if BigLaw is your only goal.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:25 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.



In Before OS.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:27 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.


Because I assume BigLAw jobs are few and far between for Fordham Grads, thus more risk if BigLaw is your only goal.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1


PRE ITE OWNED

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:29 pm

kk19131 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.


Because I assume BigLAw jobs are few and far between for Fordham Grads, thus more risk if BigLaw is your only goal.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1


Thank you. That is very helpful.

Are the lower jobs the NLJ 250 still considered "elite" jobs. What is an example of a Lawyer's starting salary in NYC if he or she graduated from say 200 or something?

Also, how current is the information?

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:How could sticker be worth it, but not for BigLaw? Fordham certainly isn't a PI powerhouse.


Because I assume BigLAw jobs are few and far between for Fordham Grads, thus more risk if BigLaw is your only goal.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1


PRE ITE OWNED


ITE?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:32 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:
PRE ITE OWNED


ITE?

ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:33 pm

ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.


So when is that info from? 2007? Before?

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.


So when is that info from? 2007? Before?


Actually, I don't know. In 2007 they were like 40%. Someone said it was like 15% this year.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.


So when is that info from? 2007? Before?

The data is from the graduating class of 2009, which entered law school in 2006 and did OCI in 2007. "ITE" started in 2008.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 am

im_blue wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.


So when is that info from? 2007? Before?

The data is from the graduating class of 2009, which entered law school in 2006 and did OCI in 2007. "ITE" started in 2008.


SO how do you think that class compares to the pretty faces of the class of 2014?

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:38 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
im_blue wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
ITE = in this economy, where Fordham is doing worse than even the information in that link.


So when is that info from? 2007? Before?

The data is from the graduating class of 2009, which entered law school in 2006 and did OCI in 2007. "ITE" started in 2008.


SO how do you think that class compares to the pretty faces of the class of 2014?


Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.


What would you say those numbers are for Columbia or NYU?

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby calvmpv » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.


What would you say those numbers are for Columbia or NYU?


I would like to know this too.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:52 pm

calvmpv wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.


What would you say those numbers are for Columbia or NYU?


I would like to know this too.


I caught a bad year and struck out. But this year? I mean I don't have exact numbers but if you wanted it, didn't look like an idiot at the interview, and didn't finish at the absolute bottom, you most likely got it. I'd be willing to bet 60% or better.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
calvmpv wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.


What would you say those numbers are for Columbia or NYU?


I would like to know this too.


I caught a bad year and struck out.


That explains all of your comments on TLS.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm

That explains all of your comments on TLS.


Got a midlaw job through family connections. Actually get to do real work. Mad about debt, not job though.

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby rickynwhyc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Assuming Columbia/NYU don't fall prey to the market conditions, the consensus here is that for BigLaw in the class of 2014, you need to be in the top 5% at Fordham, and at NYU/Columbia, unless you're drunk at every final exam, you're almost guaranteed?

Does this take into account the chances that Fordham gives you to gain real life legal experience as opposed to the other schools? Does BigLaw only care about grades?

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:54 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:Assuming Columbia/NYU don't fall prey to the market conditions, the consensus here is that for BigLaw in the class of 2014, you need to be in the top 5% at Fordham, and at NYU/Columbia, unless you're drunk at every final exam, you're almost guaranteed?

Does this take into account the chances that Fordham gives you to gain real life legal experience as opposed to the other schools? Does BigLaw only care about grades?


not a chance to the NYU/Columbia suggestion...did you read columbia law's post

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby rickynwhyc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
calvmpv wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Honestly, top 5% safe for biglaw. 10% for a good chance.


What would you say those numbers are for Columbia or NYU?


I would like to know this too.


I caught a bad year and struck out. But this year? I mean I don't have exact numbers but if you wanted it, didn't look like an idiot at the interview, and didn't finish at the absolute bottom, you most likely got it. I'd be willing to bet 60% or better.


Yes that's what I was going on. It seems I misinterpreted the last sentence. He meant 60% if you fulfilled all those obligations? Ok. Well, that still beats the hell out of Fordham's odds ;/

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Is Fordham Worth Sticker?

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

well the disparity b/w placement at NYU/Columbia v. Fordham is not any secret/not anything that people will argue over....it is big, and the long history of the differences in ranking b/w the schools clearly explains that...but i do think you need to keep a few things in mind with this...

1.) Columbia Law is a clear fordham-hater. i think its fair to say he's never said a positive thing about the school
2.) His, along with everyone else's guesses are just that...they are guesses (I dont say this to make you think that 40% at fordham will ever again get big law, but i think you get my point)
3.) Someone said it in another thread yesterday, but I think there is a huge misunderstanding about % of placement grads at big law firms. If the figure is 40%, that means that 40% of grads have big law jobs, not that top 40% have big law jobs. i know several people at fordham who are top 1/3 roughly who have jobs, and i know plenty of people who are top 10% that dont have jobs. i think this goes to the crux of the point of this post in the first place. is fordham worth sticker? for someone straight out of undergrad, with no savings, no work experience, and no real understanding of what $100k+ debt is? probably not. but for someone who has reasonable expectations, possibly some family financial help, and has the understanding of what debt is, then i think i'm comfortable saying that it is worth it. you need to understand that fordham gives out very little aid, so one way or another, you're likely going to be paying close to sticker in any event.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests