Differentiating between schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdubs

Differentiating between schools

Postby bdubs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 am

Last edited by bdubs on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BU2013

Re: Differentiating between schools

Postby BU2013 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

This website has a number of threads under both "Discuss your Law School" and "Law School Faq." Right now, these schools might all seem like LSAT/GPA ranges and salary information, but once you have visited or attended a school, certain things become clear. Every school has something they pride themselves in, whether it be a particular area of academic concentration or some cultural aspect. Search these threads and find out what students are saying, and if you aren't rushed, PM one of them and simply ask for ideas, most people will respond favorably.

I go to BU and the school works hard to produce an enriching classroom experience through engaging faculty. If you said in a Why X that, "After speaking with current students, I'm interested in this school because it puts emphasis on the value of classroom experience." They would feel vindicated in their efforts to sell this point.

UPenn prides itself on diversity, Cornell prides itself on the strength of it's international outreach, etc. etc.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:40 am

bdubs wrote:After reading through numerous viewbooks and websites, they are all starting to sound a lot alike. When trying to write a "Why X" essays, it seems to be increasingly hard to find unique attributes about schools. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find content for these essays that will help make a compelling case for a particular school?

I don't really have anything helpful to contribute, but I was recently thinking the same thing. When I was writing those essays I actually referred to the TLS write-ups on each school (when you click on a school name in the rankings). Most of them seemed to mention a few things that were unique for the school (or at least what the school thinks are their selling points), especially the parts where deans were interviewed.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:18 pm

A school will tell you to avoid repeating their viewbook. Write whatever is most important to you. I wrote one for Michigan including some things not really prominent on their website. Idk what is most important but if you can give strong reasons it will help you. Don't be afraid to include things that are not academic like location or whatever else attracts you: it shows your not just putting together a bs bunch of reasons. Of course, you want to say something about the academics

Return to “Choosing a Law School”