Before Law School - books/advice/help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Deltsig

Before Law School - books/advice/help

Postby Deltsig » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm currently a junior at Eastern Michigan University, have a 2900 ACT and 3.33 cumulative GPA, 4.0 in Political Science major and Non-profit administration and am serving in the Peace Corps come graduation. Current fraternity President and VP of the EMU Democratic party. I have over 100+ averaged community service hours served every semester (with a part time job) with many contacts within the state as references, from 2-star Army Generals to the local mental health clinics I've worked with. I have a few questions.

I'm hoping to head to the Univ of Michigan or Northwestern law (family are alumni), but what are some other steps I can take to improve my app?

Lastly, can someone provide a comprehensive list of books to read before law school? I'm open to all suggestions.

I hope this post isn't too erratic - its been a long night of scotch therapy and this is my first post amongst lurking the forums for some time.

dooterdude11

Re: Before Law School - books/advice/help

Postby dooterdude11 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm

With a 3.33 G.P.A, regardless of your good extra-curriculars, you're going to need a killer LSAT to get into either of those schools. We're talking 175+. That's the one and only thing I'd concern myself with if I were you.

Good luck!

2011Law

Re: Before Law School - books/advice/help

Postby 2011Law » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 pm

ACT is irrelevant. Any idea what your LSAT score is/will be? That will determine where you will get into.

I'm planning on reading case-law textbooks and "Getting to Maybe" before law school. Other than that I hear that you should read whatever books you'd like, cause you won't have the time for the next three years.

Very nice softs, I'm jealous as hell, but understand that they are miles behind URM in importance though, which is light-years behind GPA and LSAT.

Check out Law School Predictor and Law School Numbers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”