Commuting from Macon to Georgia State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Commuting from Macon to Georgia State

Postby rms180 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:05 am

Planning to relocate to Macon, GA and considering attending Georgia State University's law program in Atlanta. Is it reasonable to commute from Macon everyday for this purpose? Haven't heard anything good about Mercer and for $140K-$150K in debt, it would take a lot of good to convince me. Please advise.

Re: Commuting from Macon to Georgia State

Postby Connelly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am

Are you going to attend GSU full-time? If so, it is certainly possible to commute from Macon, but there will be quite a bit of cost to it (Nearly 3 hours in the car 4 days a week, 10,000 miles on your car a semester, and at least $1000 in gas each semester (assuming 30 mpg)). I'm assuming there is a reason for relocating to Macon (family, spouse's job, etc.) other than the bright lights of the big city of Macon, but if there is any way you could move closer to Atlanta, that would obviously make things a lot easier.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:19 am

It's a long, dull drive. Plus, there's a lot of construction going on south of Atlanta down Macon-way. It would be a major hassle for you, and it would definitely cut into your study/work/social time.

Postby rahimali » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:22 am

Macon? That's like 3 hours away from GA state. Just move to Decatur or something. You can rent a house in Grant Park (which is 5 mins from GSU) for like 800 bucks a month. Or Oakhurst..or Cabbagetown..or even Stone Mountain. All are reasonable. The sucky part about GSU is that it's downtown Atlanta and right next to Grady Hospital which is where your general scum of society goes to get free medical help.

Postby kwhiteside » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:45 am

Have you thought about living in Atlanta during the week and going back to Macon for weekends? There are tons of student housing options between Georgia State and Georgia Tech in Atlanta that are relatively cheap (in Atlanta terms).

Saving the three hour round trip every day may be worth it.

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am

Not a good idea to commute daily from Macon to Downtown Atlanta. Consider renting an apartment with other law students so that you can remain in Atlanta for the school week. The first year of law school is difficult enough without dealing with the drudgery & exhaustion of a long daily commute.

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am

I'm sure it's possible, depending on your class schedule and caffeine addiction. UGA was unaware of anyone ever commuting from Atlanta when I asked. I think that's a more do-able trip in that it's against traffic whereas Macon to Atlanta is less predictable...well, predictably terrible.

Just keep in mind, no professor will accept "car troubles" or "traffic jam" as excuses for being late or missing a test. Probably a good idea to make friends with a local with a spare couch if you do choose to make the trip(s).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”