Agriculture Law - specialty program or higher ranked school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
horsethief80

Agriculture Law - specialty program or higher ranked school

Postby horsethief80 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm

One of the areas I'm interested in is agriculture law. Drake, Penn State, and Arkansas all have some type of certificate program, institute, or LLM related to ag. Should I go to one of those places or would I be better off just going somewhere higher ranked without the specialty?

megaTTTron

Re: Agriculture Law - specialty program or higher ranked school

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't know if ag law is different, but the general consesus on here is that specialty rankings are meaningless. Go to the best school you can (i.e. T20) if not, then the specialty programs and regional location come into play)

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 pm

The regional nature of law schools sets in far above top 20. Surely, George Washington does not place well in Nebraska--not even minimally decently.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 pm

sumus romani wrote:The regional nature of law schools sets in far above top 20. Surely, George Washington does not place well in Nebraska--not even minimally decently.

Nobody places well in Nebraska.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
sumus romani wrote:The regional nature of law schools sets in far above top 20. Surely, George Washington does not place well in Nebraska--not even minimally decently.

Huh? Nebraska places well in Nebraska; for those who want to settle in Nebraska and go in-state with a nice scholarship, it is an ok deal.

Also, you have to admit that GW is in fact a regional school. Same with Southern Cal., etc. You have to go a ways up to find truly national schools.

But I think that you and I agree on quite a bit of the big picture. And I think you give great advice here: to not worry about rankings unless one gets into a great school, and if one is thinking of attending a regional school, one must consider not attending due to cost.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:32 pm

sumus romani wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Huh? Nebraska places well in Nebraska; for those who want to settle in Nebraska and go in-state with a nice scholarship, it is an ok deal.

Also, you have to admit that GW is in fact a regional school. Same with Southern Cal., etc. You have to go a ways up to find truly national schools.

But I think that you and I agree on quite a bit of the big picture. And I think you give great advice here: to not worry about rankings unless one gets into a great school, and if one is thinking of attending a regional school, one must consider not attending due to cost.

I was kidding. Your advice is credited. I would just say that schools like USC, Vanderbilt, Texas etc have FAR superior reach to states, even like Nebraska, than T2s, TTTs, or TTTTs. And that I would go to each of those schools above any AG specialty rank school (Drake, Penn State, or Arkansas) in a heartbeat.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”