UGA (In-state) vs. Vandy (Sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA (In-state) vs. Vandy

UGA (In-state)
55%
Vandy (Sticker)
45%

Total votes: 51

TheBigMediocre

Silver

UGA (In-state) vs. Vandy (Sticker)

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 am

Here is the deal: I'm currently on Vanderbilt's waitlist, but I've been told that they're asking for a fairly quick turnaround so I would like to put this out there and get my information collected prior to the day that I get the call, if I ever do. I talked to Christina Williams and she said that all scholarship money is currently tied up so expect to be paying sticker.

I applied with a 3.29/(164/170) . Two near-perfect semesters (and a couple of A+s) and I have a ~3.39 now. I'll be sitting for the CPA as well.

Career goals:
I want to practice in the Southeast. There is no part of me that wants to practice anywhere else. Ideally, Atlanta or Charleston (SC). I'd like the opportunity at biglaw for a few years to cut my teeth, but don't see myself staying there long-term. Interested in transactional work.

Personal things that should be taken into consideration:
I am fairly debt-averse but I'm willing to take on debt if the benefit is great enough. My girlfriend will be working in Atlanta (Yea yea, I know). I visited both schools and loved them both. I enjoy both towns (Athens edging out Nashville only because I like the college town atmosphere).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Grizz

Diamond

Re: UGA (In-state) vs. Vandy (Sticker)

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 am

Emory $$?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 am

rad law wrote:Emory $$?
Emory accepted me, no $$. I didn't get cash because they said I didn't convey a propensity to attend or impact the community in my application. (Read: I didn't fellate them enough in my PS.) Image

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am

Vandy isn't worth sticker, so I say go to UGA. However, I really really really wish Emory with $$ was an option here.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 am

rad law wrote:Vandy isn't worth sticker, so I say go to UGA. However, I really really really wish Emory with $$ was an option here.
Trust me, me too. As much as I got the vibe that it was a bunch of discontent carpetbaggers, Emory would have been the happy medium for me if they had just given me some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:Vandy isn't worth sticker, so I say go to UGA. However, I really really really wish Emory with $$ was an option here.
Trust me, me too. As much as I got the vibe that it was a bunch of discontent carpetbaggers, Emory would have been the happy medium for me if they had just given me some money.
If I had to choose between Emory and UGA for the same price, I would choose UGA. I get the feeling that everyone at Emory wishes they were somewhere else. But onto your other question, I gotta go with UGA. They place remarkably well in Atlanta and ITE, I just can't justify paying sticker anywhere that isn't at least T14. UGA is a bargain and great school for what you want.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 am

TheBigMediocre wrote: As much as I got the vibe that it was a bunch of discontent carpetbaggers,
Not sure about law school, but this is the best description of Emory UG.

Any chance reapplying is an option?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

rad law wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote: As much as I got the vibe that it was a bunch of discontent carpetbaggers,

Probably not. I wouldn't be opposed because I think I could ED someplace next year with my higher GPA and a little work experience, but I have no job lined up in the mean time and this is an awkward 2-year window where I'm able to gain some financial support from my parents.

Also, I was inspired to make this t-shirt quickly:

--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

Haha great shirt.

I say go to UGA, but just keep in mind it's gonna be exceedingly hard to land biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am

Tight poll!! You know I have no good opinion on this because I have the same issues (I voted UGA because that's where I'm leaning) ... just interested to see what people have to say.

Also - LOL at you making t-shirts for everything!!

Edit: To clarify, leaning UGA because of COST which I guess is the only real factor to consider here. Knowing you like me have a fairly pronounced debt aversion we're looking at <100k vs. >200k in debt here. Although I suppose the argument could be made that chances for Big Law (since that's what we're looking at) from Vandy are > than double those from UGA so the cost may in fact be worth it. Again, I have nothing valuable to contribute other than my own internal battle.
Last edited by missvik218 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 am

missvik218 wrote:
Also - LOL at you making t-shirts for everything!!
I am the male equivalent of a sorority's spirit committee.

sdv

Bronze

Post by sdv » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
If I had to choose between Emory and UGA for the same price, I would choose UGA. I get the feeling that everyone at Emory wishes they were somewhere else. But onto your other question, I gotta go with UGA. They place remarkably well in Atlanta and ITE, I just can't justify paying sticker anywhere that isn't at least T14. UGA is a bargain and great school for what you want.

It's not just you. I've heard from a variety of sources that in many, many firms in the South Emory grads are held in the exact same regard. In the same way Vanderbilt has a reputation for producing "nice" lawyers, Emory has a reputation for producing discontented ones who wish they were at a better school. Not to say everyone there feels or acts that way (or even that anyone does), but some employers certainly do, and that's all that matters.

If you never want to leave Georgia, go to UGA. It's not like you live in PA and are choosing between a mediocre regional school and a national one - UGA is an excellent regional school (one of the best) and places great in Atlanta, so as long as you can give up on the chances of going to Charleston right after graduation.

full disclosure: going to Vandy in the fall

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am

sdv wrote: It's not just you. I've heard from a variety of sources that in many, many firms in the South Emory grads are held in the exact same regard. In the same way Vanderbilt has a reputation for producing "nice" lawyers, Emory has a reputation for producing discontented ones who wish they were at a better school. Not to say everyone there feels or acts that way (or even that anyone does), but some employers certainly do, and that's all that matters.

If you never want to leave Georgia, go to UGA. It's not like you live in PA and are choosing between a mediocre regional school and a national one - UGA is an excellent regional school (one of the best) and places great in Atlanta, so as long as you can give up on the chances of going to Charleston right after graduation.

full disclosure: going to Vandy in the fall
Minor thread hijack, but if you want the counterargument to the UGA=Emory argument, pm a guy named rando, who makes a persuasive case for Emory>UGA, even in ATL.

Might be possible to get back to Charleston with Charleston connections.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 am

rad law wrote: Minor thread hijack, but if you want the counterargument to the UGA=Emory argument, pm a guy named rando, who makes a persuasive case for Emory>UGA, even in ATL.

Also, people like to talk about UGA's GREAT placement in ATL ... tbf their (I think 2009) nlj250 number was 15.8% ... 15.8% is not great by anyone's standards. When looking UGA it's definitely worth considering (and operating under the assumption) that you will not likely land a big law gig anywhere without connections.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

For the Charleston connections issue. Family has been here for generations (although not the south of broad crowd), have multiple contacts that I hope would be enough to land me a job.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:I just can't justify paying sticker anywhere that isn't at least T14.
You'd consider paying sticker at GULC and probably Cornell but not Vanderbilt? That seems silly.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

missvik218 wrote:
rad law wrote: Minor thread hijack, but if you want the counterargument to the UGA=Emory argument, pm a guy named rando, who makes a persuasive case for Emory>UGA, even in ATL.

Also, people like to talk about UGA's GREAT placement in ATL ... tbf their (I think 2009) nlj250 number was 15.8% ... 15.8% is not great by anyone's standards. When looking UGA it's definitely worth considering (and operating under the assumption) that you will not likely land a big law gig anywhere without connections.
TITCR. And that class did OCI in 2007 near the height of the boom. I love UGA too, but "GREAT PLACEMENT!!!11!111" is an overstatement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 am

rad law wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:I just can't justify paying sticker anywhere that isn't at least T14.
You'd consider paying sticker at GULC and probably Cornell but not Vanderbilt? That seems silly.
Very silly indeed; when considering USC, UCLA, UT, Vandy ... T14 = arbitrary. For the South, which is the location under consideration in this case, I'd pay sticker at Vandy before I'd pay it at Cornell; FWIW.

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 am

missvik218 wrote:

Just so you know, most (outside of King and Spalding, Alston, Jones Day, and Paul Hastings) Atlanta firms are not in the NLJ250. When you are talking about areas outside of NYC, DC, Chicago, and to a lesser extent Cali the NLJ250 numbers are not nearly as helpful.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 am

rad law wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

TITCR. And that class did OCI in 2007 near the height of the boom. I love UGA too, but "GREAT PLACEMENT!!!11!111" is an overstatement.
Yea, I think if I was deadset on biglaw I'd try to wait a year. But I'm also looking at other options like Deloitte in London since they hire attorneys for their International tax practice + CPA.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 am

rad law wrote:
Well, no. I just felt like using the general TLS lingo. T10 is more realistic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 am

Hiei wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

Just so you know, most (outside of King and Spalding, Alston, Jones Day, and Paul Hastings) Atlanta firms are not in the NLJ250. When you are talking about areas outside of NYC, DC, Chicago, and to a lesser extent Cali the NLJ250 numbers are not nearly as helpful.
Admitted they're not as helpful. However, a bunch on NLJ250 firms have offices have offices in Atlanta (Greenberg Traurig, Holland and Knight, Jones Day and others), plus 8 NLJ250 firms are headquartered in ATL. Then again, if you're looking for market, not even Morris Manning at the caboose of the NLJ250 pays true market (they pay $100k). So if you were looking to make $110k-$125k, your chances are probably still gonna less than 15% ITE.

How many non-NLJ250 firms pay market for recent grads? Nor sure; it's hard to know. Probably not many. But the NLJ data is what I got.

iShotFirst

Bronze

!

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:40 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:

Probably not. I wouldn't be opposed because I think I could ED someplace next year with my higher GPA and a little work experience, but I have no job lined up in the mean time and this is an awkward 2-year window where I'm able to gain some financial support from my parents.

Also, I was inspired to make this t-shirt quickly:

--ImageRemoved--

Haha great design, come to UGA and sell those next year!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

Yea, I think if I was deadset on biglaw I'd try to wait a year. But I'm also looking at other options like Deloitte in London since they hire attorneys for their International tax practice + CPA.
tax attorney at a big4 = shit pay (but i guess any job is better than no job)

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

f0bolous wrote: tax attorney at a big4 = shit pay (but i guess any job is better than no job)
for reals? I'll admit I haven't done my research yet. I just knew it was something I wanted to look into eventually.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”