Richmond vs. Baltimore($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Richmond (sticker) vs. Baltimore($$)

Baltimore with 8K/year
No votes
Total votes: 14

Richmond vs. Baltimore($$)

Postby SDviaVA » Thu May 27, 2010 3:30 pm

I am trying to decide between The University of Richmond (sticker) and The University of Baltimore (8K/year if I maitain at least a 3.25). Some things to consider....

I want to got into IP law

I would like to work in the D.C. or Richmond area after graduation

My Parents live in Richmond so I could live at home if I went to U of R.

Richmond being private is ~33k/year, Baltimore would be ~34/year the first year, but ~24K the last 2 years once I get residency.

Richmond is 86th in the Rankings, Baltimoire is a T3 school

Any thoughts and reasons for those thoughts would be appreciated!

Re: Richmond vs. Baltimore($$)

Postby blurbz » Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Edit: The poster below me says what I wanted to say much more succinctly.
Last edited by blurbz on Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby pjo » Thu May 27, 2010 3:44 pm

How sure are you that you could get residency in MD? Most states this is hard to do. Maybe try to leverage your scholarship from MD to get some money from Richmond. If not, I’d still say go to Richmond. It’s a better school and I think it will give you slightly better job prospects than Baltimore. Plus, even if you get residency in Baltimore, overall you only save $17,000 in tuition. BUT You won’t have to pay COL at Richmond whereas you will have to at Baltimore which in my mind actually would make Richmond cheaper. (COL for all 3yrs in Baltimore will be greater than 17,000)

Postby holydonkey » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Retake the LSAT and reapply. If you're not going to retake for some reason and you have to go to law school this year, go to Richmond.

Postby chuddery » Thu May 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I did campaign fundraising in Richmond a few years back (over 50% of our donors were attorneys), and while this is somewhat anecdotal, I found Richmond extremely well represented at all of the firms there. I would see Richmond and UVA and not much else at most of the firms. Additionally, the alumni network at Richmond seemed particularly active and engaged. I don't think this completely answers your question and I can't speak to anything about DC, but if you want to practice in Richmond going to school there seems like a good choice. Just my 2 cents.

Postby krj02004 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm

I live in Baltimore... COL is ridiculous so your scholly money is a moot point. Unless you get into the University of Maryland, there is no reason to attend any other school in Maryland.

A U of Baltimore degree will not get you far... certainly not employment in DC.

I would also re-rake the LSAT and see if you can't get into more tier 1 schools.

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Retake and reapply.

Postby SDviaVA » Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info, looks like it's pretty unanimous for Richmond. Unfortunatly retaking the LSAT and applying next year is not an option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”