WUSTL vs. Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rock456

New

WUSTL vs. Cornell

Post by rock456 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:49 pm

I was recently admitted off Cornell's wait list so I'm going to assume that I will get little to no scholarship money from them. So, help please?

Cornell: Little to none/year
WUSTL: $15,000/year

Important factors to me: portability of degree (I would like to return to California), hiring prospects (I would like to be able to pay off my $100K+ of loans) and strength of int'l law program.

Thank you!
Last edited by rock456 on Sat May 22, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Re: WUSTL vs. Cornell

Post by keg411 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm

rock456 wrote:I was recently admitted off Cornell's wait list so I'm going to assume that I will get little to no scholarship money from them. So, help please?

Important factors to me: portability of degree (I would like to return to California), hiring prospects (I would like to be able to pay off my $100,000K+ of loans) and strength of int'l law program.

Thank you!
Cornell for all those, regardless of $$.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

rock456 wrote:I was recently admitted off Cornell's wait list so I'm going to assume that I will get little to no scholarship money from them. So, help please?

Important factors to me: portability of degree (I would like to return to California), hiring prospects (I would like to be able to pay off my $100,000K+ of loans) and strength of int'l law program.

Thank you!
Just curious...what were your numbers that got you off the Cornell waitlist?

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:10 pm

keg411 wrote:

Thank you!
Cornell for all those, regardless of $$.
+1

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Fri May 21, 2010 3:14 pm

The director of the TNLP at Washington went to Cornell. Ask him what he thinks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Cornell for CA and hiring prospects.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri May 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Cornell is going to give you the most national portability...and probably better paying jobs on average on top of that. Saving 45k over 3 years is not going to be enough to offset what you're looking for. Guaranteeing California jobs right after law school means either studying there or going to T14...aka Cornell.

Disclaimer: Trying to get off WUSTL waitlist!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Thank you!
Not to say that Cornell at sticker is a risk-free investment, but I think the extra debt is worth the national portability since you are aiming for California. With WUSTL, you might pay less, but I doubt it will matter in the end when you can't find a job in California because nobody has ever heard of the law school you attended.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I'd say Cornell too, but c'mon, lawyer-folk in California have DEFINITELY heard of WUSTL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 21, 2010 5:00 pm

I took WUSTL over Cornell, but only because I want to practice in the Midwest, I got a big scholly at WUSTL, and I hate the northeast. It makes no sense to take WUSTL over Cornell in your situation.

Go to Cornell.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:08 pm

If WUSTL had offered you $20,000-$25,0000, things would be different.

I'm not going to dispute that the vast majority of people in CA don't know what a WUSTL is (I didn't know until I started looking a law programs, and don't get started on the people I know). However employers will know of it and that is all that matters. Given that you (OP) are from CA, WUSTL will be able to get you back there.

So the main issue is cost v. prospects.

On one hand WUSTL would be slightly cheaper, but you would take a 15% hit on the percentage of the class that went into big law. However if you (OP) have an advanced degree or work experience, the likelihood of you securing a position in a firm goes up dramatically (see Northwestern 2009 Big Law placement).

On the other hand Cornell would cost more, but you would have more leeway in your GPA/rank. You would not need an advanced degree or work experience to get the job with a slightly lower gpa.

Winner is = Cornell. Unless WashU comes up with another $5,000-$10,000 (or personal preference). You must really like WashU to even start this thread - and there is nothing wrong with that.

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If WUSTL had offered you $20,000-$25,0000, things would be different.

I'm not going to dispute that the vast majority of people in CA don't know what a WUSTL is (I didn't know until I started looking a law programs, and don't get started on the people I know). However employers will know of it and that is all that matters. Given that you (OP) are from CA, WUSTL will be able to get you back there.

So the main issue is cost v. prospects.

On one hand WUSTL would be slightly cheaper, but you would take a 15% hit on the percentage of the class that went into big law. However if you (OP) have an advanced degree or work experience, the likelihood of you securing a position in a firm goes up dramatically (see Northwestern 2009 Big Law placement).

On the other hand Cornell would cost more, but you would have more leeway in your GPA/rank. You would not need an advanced degree or work experience to get the job with a slightly lower gpa.

Winner is = Cornell. Unless WashU comes up with another $5,000-$10,000 (or personal preference). You must really like WashU to even start this thread - and there is nothing wrong with that.

+1, I think you should try to get more money from Wash U

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Cornell is the obvious answer here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Why didn't you try UCI? I hear they are awesome!

Sorry guise.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri May 21, 2010 7:40 pm

'grats!!! Similar decision here, but Cornell vs. Fordham. I'm leaning Cornell at the moment, but damn this is tough. I had no idea this decision would be so hard!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Cornell, definitely.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I think it's also important to note that the cost of tuition at Cornell is about $10k over that of WUSTL. So there's a bigger financial gap here than just the scholarship.

I dunno, I would think long and hard before I decided on Cornell at sticker. That's gonna be a huge amount of debt. And if you already have California connections, it won't be as difficult to get back there than it would be for other WUSTL students. Maybe I'm just more debt-averse than most people on TLS, but I like WUSTL with money much more than I like Cornell at sticker, even with the better opportunities of a Cornell degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Given your preferences, I'd go with Cornell.
Employers in California will likely pick a Cornell applicant over a WUSTL applicant with similar credentials otherwise.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat May 22, 2010 1:16 am

Try negotiating with WUSTL and see if you can get more. But still, it would be tough taking Wash U over Cornell for California. CA is definitely one of WUSTL's weaker spots.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat May 22, 2010 6:40 am

Going to Cornell disclaimer. WUSTL is a good school. You should go to Cornell. I don't think this is close. Maybe consider is WUSTL gives you greater than half scholly. I think the degree will be much more portable. Good luck, but I don't think you really need to stress over this one.

rock456

New

Post by rock456 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I'll be sitting on it until the deposit deadline Cornell gave me. But, the choice seems pretty obvious. I love the way that WashU treats its students and I'm a little worried about going to Cornell sight unseen. But, then again, going back to CA is my #1 priority.

Thank you again!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dominicanizao

New

Post by dominicanizao » Thu May 27, 2010 3:44 am

I heard the peace corps helps to get people off waitlists. Congratulations!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:57 am

I was set on Cornell at sticker. WUSTL sent me an email today, after the deposit deadline, offering me $22,000/year for 3 years. I'm stressing out all over again.

Would any of you choose WUSTL over Cornell now?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 am

spaacecdt wrote:I was set on Cornell at sticker. WUSTL sent me an email today, after the deposit deadline, offering me $22,000/year for 3 years. I'm stressing out all over again.

Where do you want to work and what do you want to do?

For rock456 it was fairly easy considering his/her desire to work in CA.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:17 am

spaacecdt wrote:I was set on Cornell at sticker. WUSTL sent me an email today, after the deposit deadline, offering me $22,000/year for 3 years. I'm stressing out all over again.

Wow this is remarkably similar to ENGINEERD thread...WUSTL seems to be desperately trying to keep their original admits!

7k more per year is NICE, but is it nice enough to sacrifice T14 national (read california) portability if CA is your goal?

BTW, what'd you choose?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”