Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Xiaolong » Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 pm

I am trying to decide between WUSTL and BU. Total debt at WUSTL would be around 55K and total debt at BU would be 90K. I want to stay in Boston or the East Coast in general. I know WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, so going there wouldn't be an ideal choice. However, is it worth it to pay 30K for a school in the desired region which are basically peers?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Xiaolong wrote:I am trying to decide between WUSTL and BU. Total debt at WUSTL would be around 55K and total debt at BU would be 90K. I want to stay in Boston or the East Coast in general. I know WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, so going there wouldn't be an ideal choice. However, is it worth it to pay 30K for a school in the desired region which are basically peers?


What's you plan for getting a job in Boston from WUSTL?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Not worth the money guy. Go to BU. Unless you have like 120k in loans from UG like another poster a few months back.

User avatar
futurelawyer413
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Have you got any scholly $ or tried negotiating?

Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Xiaolong » Thu May 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Matthies wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:I am trying to decide between WUSTL and BU. Total debt at WUSTL would be around 55K and total debt at BU would be 90K. I want to stay in Boston or the East Coast in general. I know WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, so going there wouldn't be an ideal choice. However, is it worth it to pay 30K for a school in the desired region which are basically peers?


What's you plan for getting a job in Boston from WUSTL?



Be in the top 10% and make law review :lol:

Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Xiaolong » Thu May 20, 2010 9:46 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:Have you got any scholly $ or tried negotiating?



Tried negotiating with both, but unsuccessful.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Xiaolong wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:I am trying to decide between WUSTL and BU. Total debt at WUSTL would be around 55K and total debt at BU would be 90K. I want to stay in Boston or the East Coast in general. I know WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, so going there wouldn't be an ideal choice. However, is it worth it to pay 30K for a school in the desired region which are basically peers?


What's you plan for getting a job in Boston from WUSTL?



Be in the top 10% and make law review :lol:


Still, even then your at the mercy of firms picking you, from half way across the counrty, and if no firms from Boston pick you, then you either go back to Boston w/o a job or you go where a firm did pick you. If you want to live in Boston after law school and your in BU, seems like the right place to go. You could work PT 3L and save some money/get some experince

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Xiaolong wrote:I am trying to decide between WUSTL and BU. Total debt at WUSTL would be around 55K and total debt at BU would be 90K.
I want to stay in Boston or the East Coast in general
. I know WUSTL is strongest in the midwest, so going there wouldn't be an ideal choice. However, is it worth it to pay 30K for a school in the desired region which are basically peers?

I'm sorry, but what is the dilemma? If you are from the northeast you should know how respected BU is in the area. I would be willing to bet that BU would be more likely to land you a job that you want in the Boston area. 30k? That really isn't much if you can get what you want with it.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Def BU based on the situation you described. BU will get you a great job in the Boston area. Wash U will get you a great job not in the Boston area...30k isn't enough if you KNOW you want to end up in Boston.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 pm

BU. Easily.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby superflush » Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

No. It's not stupid if you want to work in Boston.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Go to BU if you want to work in the northeast, no question.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Always Credited » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm

WUSTL. You can be first in your class easy and have your pick of any firm in the Northeast. Don't even sweat it.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Always Credited wrote:WUSTL. You can be first in your class easy and have your pick of any firm in the Northeast. Don't even sweat it.


He can be second. I'm going to be first in my class at WUSTL and work for Wachtell.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 21, 2010 12:00 am

romothesavior wrote:
Always Credited wrote:WUSTL. You can be first in your class easy and have your pick of any firm in the Northeast. Don't even sweat it.


He can be second. I'm going to be first in my class and work for Wachtell. Duh.


Seriously man - we gotta drop the facade around here that law school is hard, buckle down, and give some real, honest advice.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby bk1 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:54 am

BU because of Boston. 10k/year is seriously not that much considering your desired region.

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby servinDizzert » Fri May 21, 2010 1:15 am

you know what...take a year off so that I have a better chance to get off both waitlists....thankksss


ccourt14
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby ccourt14 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 pm

It's an easy choice if you want to practice in Boston. Definitely pick BU because you can spend the three years that you are in law school networking and making great contacts. Also, the career services at BU will be much more aware of the opportunities in the area than WUSTL. It's really a simple choice in my mind.

User avatar
Barolo
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Re: Stupid to pay 30K more for law school? WUSTL vs. BU

Postby Barolo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:49 pm

+1, BU. This isn't about what happens when you're EIC of LR; it's about what happens when you're median. This is easy because you already know where you want to be.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests