Fordham w/ 15k vs USC Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham (15k) vs USC sticker

Fordham (15k)
37%
USC
63%

Total votes: 54

Chrisbcream

New

Fordham w/ 15k vs USC Sticker

Post by Chrisbcream » Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 am

So looking for y'alls opinion. I want to do BigLaw but I do not particularly care if it is in LA or NYC, which school should I go with.

DerrickRose

Silver

Re: Fordham w/ 15k vs USC Sticker

Post by DerrickRose » Thu May 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Well, Big Law is going to be a bit of a trick from either of those schools. Would you describe yourself as Big Law or bust?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 12:16 pm

A "trick" seems too negative a term regarding biglaw and USC/Fordham.

OP, I'd go with Fordham. California's economy sucks and yay scholarship money.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Pearalegal wrote:A "trick" seems too negative a term regarding biglaw and USC/Fordham.

If it isn't at least a 50/50 proposition, its a trick. Especially at sticker when you know there are going to be a good 20% of the class walking in with an inherent advantage.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 20, 2010 12:21 pm

It is difficult to offer any meaningful advice based on the limited information provided in the original post. Have you visited both law schools? Is there a particular area of law in which you have a strong interest? What does "biglaw" mean to you? For example, if "biglaw" is just a job as a lawyer at one of the nation's largest 250 law firms, then just base your decision on the most recent National Law Journel "biglaw" placement survey results.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

david?

New

Post by david? » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:A "trick" seems too negative a term regarding biglaw and USC/Fordham.

If it isn't at least a 50/50 proposition, its a trick. Especially at sticker when you know there are going to be a good 20% of the class walking in with an inherent advantage.

What's the inherent advantage? Not having to pay sticker?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 12:24 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

Fair enough if thats your definition of a trick.

But how on earth is scholarship money an advantage for employment prospects. Its an advantage after you get employed in terms of debt but...its not like your scholarship comes with more OCI bids or anything.

Chrisbcream

New

Post by Chrisbcream » Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 pm

I have visited both schools and I am originally from So Cal but I also love NYC.. I am looking to do IP and I want to work for a NLJ 250 firm when grad making 160K.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm

USC for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Fair enough if thats your definition of a trick.

But how on earth is scholarship money an advantage for employment prospects. Its an advantage after you get employed in terms of debt but...its not like your scholarship comes with more OCI bids or anything.
The kids with the big scholarships did better on the LSAT than OP and/or were better college students than OP. I know OP is a special flower that is going exude genuine passion for his studies 24/7 for 10 straight months, but the statistics say that he is likely to fail to break the top 1/4 or 1/3 of the class that it will take him to get BigLaw.

Until I hear them say that they have an interest in being a lawyer beyond just a 160k starting salary, I say T6 or bust. (and/or a lower school with $$$$, so they can become a high school teacher when they run out of the profession like its a burning building)

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Calculate all the costs. You might be paying as much for Fordham even with the scholarship with COL. Maybe not though -- I know nothing about LA.

I would say they would both give you about the same shot at biglaw. One thing you should note is that the biglaw lifestyle is more laid back (less hours; less pressure) in CA than in NYC (in general, though obviously this will depend on the firm you end up at).

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Bankhead wrote:Calculate all the costs. You might be paying as much for Fordham even with the scholarship with COL. Maybe not though -- I know nothing about LA.

I would say they would both give you about the same shot at biglaw. One thing you should note is that the biglaw lifestyle is more laid back (less hours; less pressure) in CA than in NYC (in general, though obviously this will depend on the firm you end up at).
USC gives you a significantly better chance at biglaw.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 pm

JCougar wrote:USC gives you a significantly better chance at biglaw.
Why is the case? I know this data is little dated (http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf), but it seems to indicate the opposite. Also, doesn't the fact that CA's economy is tanking also give Fordham an edge?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:54 pm

bk187 wrote:
Why is the case? I know this data is little dated (http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf), but it seems to indicate the opposite. Also, doesn't the fact that CA's economy is tanking also give Fordham an edge?
It is the case because your data is a little dated. Here are the latest statistics:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

USC c/o 2009 into biglaw: 41.3%
Fordham c/o 2009 into biglaw: 29.4%

That's a 12% difference. If you include clerkship placement, USC = money if you are above median; at Fordham, it probably takes top third.

Of course this is all in regard to c/o 2009, which was mostly before ITE. So take from it what you will.

Also, Fordham COL works to cancel out some of the scholarship.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm

JCougar wrote:
bk187 wrote:
It is the case because your data is a little dated. Here are the latest statistics:

That's a 12% difference. If you include clerkship placement, USC = money if you are above median; at Fordham, it probably takes top third.

Of course this is all in regard to c/o 2009, which was mostly before ITE. So take from it what you will.

I considered checking the NLJ go-to data before posting but I thought that it was similar. Yeah, after looking at that it seems like USC is the definite choice.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 6:56 pm

bk187 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
bk187 wrote:

I considered checking the NLJ go-to data before posting but I thought that it was similar. Yeah, after looking at that it seems like USC is the definite choice.
Of course, even my data is dated, too. No one has any clue what effect ITE has had on either school. Still, if I were a gambling man, I'd gamble on USC.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Personally, I'd pick USC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Personally, I'd pick USC.
+1, but I hate NYC

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu May 20, 2010 8:01 pm

USC. Hotter girls, nicer weather.

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Your choice mostly really does come down to location/weather. For me, I would choose the sun!

Chrisbcream

New

Post by Chrisbcream » Mon May 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Put deposit down on USC so hopefully its a decision I dont regret!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Personally, I'd pick USC.
I would too. And it looks like the OP did :).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”