Columbia Law...Bad idea to move a family there?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SaintClarence27

Re: Columbia Law...Bad idea to move a family there?

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:Pick a part-time program in a cheaper area.

How is part-time going to help? I agree with the cheaper area, but working full time and going to law school part-time for 4 years is going to take up even more parent/kid time (though less debt).

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon May 10, 2010 3:52 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:

How is part-time going to help? I agree with the cheaper area, but working full time and going to law school part-time for 4 years is going to take up even more parent/kid time (though less debt).

Because they wouldn't necessarily have to work full time and could take out loans to supplement their income?

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

lostjake wrote:I never said that staying at home was always the right thing to do, I was speaking in this specific case, where the OP is going to be taking on so much debt for a chance at a job. Her decision is going to be not only affecting her, but her children and their future. It seems she has her mind made up, and I wish her luck. Keep us posted on how its going, I'm always open to being proven wrong.

Is this the only common sense advice OP has gotten in the whole thread? I dont think new york is the best place to raise kids, especially if you have/going to have no money.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

would you say that to a single man with 2 toddlers? you are a sexist pig.

I'd say he should have chained that woman to the house before he got stuck with two kids.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

i would. i don't care if you're a mom, dad, or second cousin who stole the kids at birth and ran away with them. raising toddlers is not easy, and the above is excellent advice for someone who (hopefully) wants to be a good parent while succeeding in law school.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm

tadams86 wrote:
lostjake wrote:I never said that staying at home was always the right thing to do, I was speaking in this specific case, where the OP is going to be taking on so much debt for a chance at a job. Her decision is going to be not only affecting her, but her children and their future. It seems she has her mind made up, and I wish her luck. Keep us posted on how its going, I'm always open to being proven wrong.

Is this the only common sense advice OP has gotten in the whole thread? I dont think new york is the best place to raise kids, especially if you have/going to have no money.

Yes, LostJake certainly appears to be the only one not ostriching ITT.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Mon May 10, 2010 3:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Because they wouldn't necessarily have to work full time and could take out loans to supplement their income?

Yea, she could just work part-time too. I think the cost of going to school+ the COL in NY + the cost of raising two kids in NY will be unreasonably high, especially if she can find opportunities with relative parity for much less (which I assume she can, being wait-listed at Columbia).

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Yea, she could just work part-time too. I think the cost of going to school+ the COL in NY + the cost of raising two kids in NY will be unreasonably high, especially if she can find opportunities with relative parity for much less (which I assume she can, being wait-listed at Columbia).

With the Columbia WL, I would assume OP could go to some stellar PT programs for a full ride, which would significantly change the number of hours she would need to work when she was done with school.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:10 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Hence the "less debt" part of my statement. And I'm pretty sure the money part of the equation has been discussed to death.

JTX

Postby JTX » Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

eff you d00d.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 10, 2010 5:01 pm

How about Long Island? A better neighborhood to raise your kids in.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon May 10, 2010 5:12 pm

GermX wrote:How about Long Island? A better neighborhood to raise your kids in.

But then your kids end up like this:

--ImageRemoved--

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:12 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
paratactical wrote:Shame you didn't start a thread asking if it was a bad idea to pop out two kids on your own where someone could have taught you about condoms.

or abortions amirite

sell kids, finance school. when you land BigLaw, just buy them back.

Fuck, do you have any idea how the value of kids appreciates? You'd lose your shirt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”