Where did you draw the line for sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cupidity

Gold

Re: Where did you draw the line for sticker?

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 am

Drew the line at Fordham--anything under is worth sticker in my book. In-state at a few lower ranked schools was an option too.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am

I'm not applying until next cycle, but right now I'm thinking my cutoff will be T14. If that doesn't work out, I would consider a few T50s that do well in markets in which I would like to practice/live.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am

Unemployed wrote:
thinkbig wrote: No, you were right in criticizing my argument for its lack of evidence. "Plenty of" meant nothing. The whole argument was wishful thinking. "Is that so hard to believe?" I guess the answer is Yes.
I was puzzled by Bronte's suggestion that I'm hating on unemployment apropos of my previous comment.

Have you ever gone from selling mortgage-backed securities to unemployment right before law school starts? With a nice little severance package? It's awesome!
I was effin around. The statement was nonsensical.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am

Bronte wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
thinkbig wrote: No, you were right in criticizing my argument for its lack of evidence. "Plenty of" meant nothing. The whole argument was wishful thinking. "Is that so hard to believe?" I guess the answer is Yes.
I was puzzled by Bronte's suggestion that I'm hating on unemployment apropos of my previous comment.

Have you ever gone from selling mortgage-backed securities to unemployment right before law school starts? With a nice little severance package? It's awesome!
I was effin around. The statement was nonsensical.
<---------------------Disappointed.

<---------------------But feels no shame about sidetracking this pointless thread.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 am

thinkbig wrote:But if you are counting instate tuition, add Berkeley, Michigan, Texas, UVA, probably a few more, that would still be worth paying sticker.

Not to play hall monitor, but other than the reference to UT this statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think Michigan gets a resident break of 3k a year, UVA 5k and I believe Boalt gets 10k or so but you can gain residency after a year in California. So those schools would be worth it at roughly 180k but not 195k? That seems like an odd place to draw the line.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:48 am

im_blue wrote:I'd pay sticker for the T12, and probably Cornell/GULC as well if those were my best options.
I would never pay sticker at Georgetown. Numbers for GULC will easily get you money at a similarly ranked school

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 am

Chicago/NYU/Boalt. Those are the last ones I'd take at sticker. And tbh I'm not even sure about Chicago (not that I'll get in...still haven't heard.) Not really sure about Boalt either. But I didn't have to think too much about it 'cause they rejected me. Bastards.

ne11986

New

Post by ne11986 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:55 am

thinkbig wrote:
underachiever wrote:Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

The only 4 schools where your as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary, to recoup the 200k in loans for school and the lost profitability of the 3 years during LS, quickly enough to make it worthwhile.
Add Chicago.
Chicago? I say go Top 10, period. Chicago has the same biglaw placement as Penn, Michigan and UVa. You aren't guaranteed Biglaw anywhere anymore. But the Top 10 schools always do exceptionally well, and are still work sticker.

ne11986

New

Post by ne11986 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 am

td6624 wrote:Chicago/NYU/Boalt. Those are the last ones I'd take at sticker. And tbh I'm not even sure about Chicago (not that I'll get in...still haven't heard.) Not really sure about Boalt either. But I didn't have to think too much about it 'cause they rejected me. Bastards.
Man, maybe I'm out of the know on law school "prestige", but I've always thought Penn was a peer with those institutions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:00 am

ne11986 wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
underachiever wrote:Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

The only 4 schools where your as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary, to recoup the 200k in loans for school and the lost profitability of the 3 years during LS, quickly enough to make it worthwhile.
Add Chicago.
Chicago? I say go Top 10, period. Chicago has the same biglaw placement as Penn, Michigan and UVa. You aren't guaranteed Biglaw anywhere anymore. But the Top 10 schools always do exceptionally well, and are still work sticker.
...Stanford, Columbia, etc.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd pay sticker for the T12, and probably Cornell/GULC as well if those were my best options.
I would never pay sticker at Georgetown. Numbers for GULC will easily get you money at a similarly ranked school
That's true. I'd draw the line at T13.

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:08 am

HYS

Cara

New

Post by Cara » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:15 am

T6

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 am

timshel wrote:t18
^Blatant knock on WUSTL? Or possibly love of USC? Not sure.

But to answer the question... it COMPLETELY depends on the person. If you have a 178, 3.9 (or something else highly competitive) you shouldn't pay sticker for anything but YHS, unless doing so would make you happy (you reaaaally want CC or N). But to the applicant who has a 158, 3.8 and happens to get into a school in the 20s or, God forbid, even the 30s/40s, then sticker may well be worth it to them.

For me? I would've drawn the line somewhere in the 60s or so. That's because I knew I wanted to go to law school. As I got money from multiple schools in the teens and 20s, I didn't have to draw the line there. But in any event, I think it's all too easy to say you would draw the line just at or right below where you are attending for sticker, after it is all over.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
timshel wrote:t18
^Blatant knock on WUSTL? Or possibly love of USC? Not sure.

But to answer the question... it COMPLETELY depends on the person. If you have a 178, 3.9 (or something else highly competitive) you shouldn't pay sticker for anything but YHS, unless doing so would make you happy (you reaaaally want CC or N). But to the applicant who has a 158, 3.8 and happens to get into a school in the 20s or, God forbid, even the 30s/40s, then sticker may well be worth it to them.

For me? I would've drawn the line somewhere in the 60s or so. That's because I knew I wanted to go to law school. As I got money from multiple schools in the teens and 20s, I didn't have to draw the line there. But in any event, I think it's all too easy to say you would draw the line just at or right below where you are attending for sticker, after it is all over.
60s? Seems like an awesome way to end up heavily indebted for mediocre job prospects. Even if you're sure you never wanted to leave KS or NM.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:02 am

T10

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 am

T6+UVa in-state. That's what it always was before the cycle started, and that's what it is now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 am

ne11986 wrote:
td6624 wrote:Chicago/NYU/Boalt. Those are the last ones I'd take at sticker. And tbh I'm not even sure about Chicago (not that I'll get in...still haven't heard.) Not really sure about Boalt either. But I didn't have to think too much about it 'cause they rejected me. Bastards.
Man, maybe I'm out of the know on law school "prestige", but I've always thought Penn was a peer with those institutions.
I'm not saying it isn't. But I never really even considered going to a school with a location that didn't appeal to me. Stupid? Maybe. Who cares.

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 am

Penn

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

T30. My parents are paying tuition anyway so who cares.

Exceptions: California schools (not even applying) and schools like GW or BU that are relegated to second (or third or fourth) fiddle on their home turf. For ex: I wouldn't pay sticker at BU because it's overshadowed by BC and Harvard. I would pay sticker at UMNTC or Emory though because it's the dominant school in the MSP or ATL market (which are "sizeable" secondary markets), respectively.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 am

T12. I'd have paid sticker at Duke or Northwestern, but would not for Cornell or Georgetown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 am

Before applying: HYS
Now: nowhere

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 am

motiontodismiss wrote:T30. My parents are paying tuition anyway so who cares.

Exceptions: California schools (not even applying) and schools like GW or BU that are relegated to second (or third or fourth) fiddle on their home turf. For ex: I wouldn't pay sticker at BU because it's overshadowed by BC and Harvard. I would pay sticker at UMNTC or Emory though because it's the dominant school in the MSP or ATL market (which are "sizeable" secondary markets), respectively.
Duke, UVA, and Vanderbilt grads are more well regarded than Emory in ATL. I would not pay sticker at Emory.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 am

rad law wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:T30. My parents are paying tuition anyway so who cares.

Duke, UVA, and Vanderbilt grads are more well regarded than Emory in ATL. I would not pay sticker at Emory.

Um.....i'd guess (an educated guess) that, if anything, Emory >= Vanderbilt in Atlanta

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am

miamiman wrote: Um.....i'd guess (an educated guess) that, if anything, Emory >= Vanderbilt in Atlanta
Nope. Not according to every single lawyer I've talked to. There are tons of Vandy alums in ATL, plus the fact that Vandy alums run the biggest firms there (Alston & Bird, King & Spalding). Vandy > Emory in ATL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”