So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I am wondering if anyone else has made a decision like this. Personally, I found Fordham to be a great school. But I have always liked GW Law's location, size, campus, etc... and felt that they had stronger programs. Still, I was leaning on Fordham because of its strength in the NY market, but with the new rankings coming out, it just seemed like madness--why would I go to the school that is dropping consistently in the rankings (now down to 34), and not the school that is now a T-20?

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

In Before This Gets Ugly.

OP, you didn't want to be in New York did you?

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Grilled cheese used to be my 3rd favorite sandwich, but I have now changed its ranking to 7, so I don't eat it anymore.

HooCavalier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby HooCavalier » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Good choice.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I don't get why you guys think that the US News Rankings won't influence employers. I don't mean an employer is going to go "well, GW=20, Fordham=34, therefore, I take the GW guy", but they might think, okay, GW Law is advancing in the rankings and seems to be the better school, so lets have a preference for that law school this year over Fordham.

I just feel like graduating from a now not even T-30 school=entering a world of even more intense competition for NY jobs.

And yes, I do want NY law, and I know GW Law can provide that. It isn't NY or bust though--its "job or bust". Working in D.C. would not be a bad option if the pay is good.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 pm

champ33 wrote:Grilled cheese used to be my 3rd favorite sandwich, but I have now changed its ranking to 7, so I don't eat it anymore.

I see what you did there :lol:

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 pm

There are plenty of times when GW>Fordham (actually, all of the time unless you want NYC). Your reason is not one of them.

Broncos4Ever
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Broncos4Ever » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Great decision. GW >>>> Fordham, in my humble opinion.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 pm

I gave plenty of reasons, but cited the rankings as the final reason that pushed me towards choosing GW Law. I'm pretty much waiting on Cornell at this point, which of course I would attend over GW Law.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 pm

GermX wrote:I don't get why you guys think that the US News Rankings won't influence employers. I don't mean an employer is going to go "well, GW=20, Fordham=34, therefore, I take the GW guy", but they might think, okay, GW Law is advancing in the rankings and seems to be the better school, so lets have a preference for that law school this year over Fordham.

I just feel like graduating from a now not even T-30 school=entering a world of even more intense competition for NY jobs.

And yes, I do want NY law, and I know GW Law can provide that. It isn't NY or bust though--its "job or bust". Working in D.C. would not be a bad option if the pay is good.


GW has always been a T20 school. They place like a T20, they are viewed as T20 by employers and peers, and they will continue to be T20 calibur regardless of whether they drop in the rankings next year.

GW's "drop" last year was a result of a change in US News rankings criteria when they started including part time scores. Go look at where GW has traditionally been. They are not on an "upward swing." They simply returned where they belong.

Do your homework before you make ridiculously stupid decisions (and comments) regarding your future.
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 pm

I sincerely hope this is a flame. I too was on the fence with GWU and Fordham--though I ended up deciding on BU. Fordham is not free-falling in the rankings...despite this year they are rising. USNWR chose to include for the first time, part time programs....GWU and Fordham both had substantial ones and took a hit because of it--unlike GWU, Fordham has continued theirs...GWU cut theirs drastically creating the ratings rise. It doesn't matter if Fordham is T10, T20, T30 or T50--because it is still the third best law school in the NYC market which is the largest market in the country. As long as Fordham is better than Cardozo and Brooklyn, it's graduates will place well. If you look at things like NLJ & Vault placement, and leiter's stuff, you will see that fordham is a far better school in many aspects other than USNWR.

GWU on the other hand, is tied for third in a much smaller legal market. GULC, and UVA outplace it handedly, and William and Mary and Washington and Lee compete heavily for the same jobs---they are far closer to GWU than a school like Cardozo is to Fordham.

That said, there are many reasons to choose GWU. It seems like you haven't used them.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 pm

IBOS

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 pm

GermX wrote:I am wondering if anyone else has made a decision like this. Personally, I found Fordham to be a great school. But I have always liked GW Law's location, size, campus, etc... and felt that they had stronger programs. Still, I was leaning on Fordham because of its strength in the NY market, but with the new rankings coming out, it just seemed like madness--why would I go to the school that is dropping consistently in the rankings (now down to 34), and not the school that is now a T-20?



Judging by your behavior in the Cornell thread, I am going to kick the living shit out of you at some point during the year; especially if you're in my section. I suggest you being praying now, for your own safety. Just letting you know in advance.


Also, now at least I know with absolute certainty that I won't be at the bottom of my class.
Last edited by Always Credited on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:IBOS


God dammit... I'm always too slow. I'm never "IBSSIBOS" (In before someone says IBOS)

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 pm

champ33 wrote:Grilled cheese used to be my 3rd favorite sandwich, but I have now changed its ranking to 7, so I don't eat it anymore.


I lol'd.

Fordham's overall score remains the same as it was last year, and the school will soon be trimming its part time program, just as GW did. I personally think it was a crappy policy decision on the part of both schools, but the rankings obviously matter, so I understand why they did it. Fordham will likely move up in next year's rankings, just for cutting the PT program in half.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 pm

GermX wrote:I gave plenty of reasons, but cited the rankings as the final reason that pushed me towards choosing GW Law. I'm pretty much waiting on Cornell at this point, which of course I would attend over GW Law.


Oh, so you haven't actually decided yet? Thank God. Listen up.

No one who is making employment decisions gives one hoot about the rankings. Except to the degree to which they reflect shifts in the quality of students one school or another gets.

In the case of Fordham and GW, despite both schools much ballyhooed volatility in US News rankings in recent years, they have gotten the same caliber of students in their doors throughout, and that is all that matters for employers. They are the exact same schools they were 1, 3, 5 years ago.

In terms of all-else-being-equal placement power, I think I would take GW, but the two schools are very close. However, if you want to work in New York, they are not close. Fordham has a massive NYC alumni base, and has the whole spectrum of big time NYC firms at their OCI. GW does not have these things.

If you want New York, go to Fordham. Simple as that. Unless there are scholarship discrepancies you aren't telling us about.

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby thedogship » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Fordham crushes GW in NYC. There's no comparison there. This may be rather obvious, but if you look at any firm in New York, Fordham is well represented and GW may or may not have representation. If you know you want to be in NYC, I think going to Fordham is a safer bet, even with the very recent increased rankings disparity. GW is a good school, and I presumed that they would rebound from that temporary drop last year, but I think if someone is set on NYC for their career, Fordham is the better option. For someone who thinks they might want to be in New York, but is not certain, GW may be the better call as it has more geographic reach (but not an enormous amount) than Fordham; and when I say that, I mean greater reach on the east coast. Both schools get dicey the further west you go. I don't think the rankings really have any effect on Fordham's job placement, since Fordham is such a known commodity in NYC with such a strong and prevalent alumni network. Unlike Columbia or NYU grads that go all over the country, Fordham grads will mostly (by choice or not) stay in the NY area.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Always Credited wrote:
GermX wrote:I am wondering if anyone else has made a decision like this. Personally, I found Fordham to be a great school. But I have always liked GW Law's location, size, campus, etc... and felt that they had stronger programs. Still, I was leaning on Fordham because of its strength in the NY market, but with the new rankings coming out, it just seemed like madness--why would I go to the school that is dropping consistently in the rankings (now down to 34), and not the school that is now a T-20?



Judging by your behavior in the Cornell thread, I am going to kick the living shit out of you at some point during the year; especially if you're in my section. I suggest you being praying now, for your own safety. Just letting you know in advance.

Angry much today?

HooCavalier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby HooCavalier » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 pm

NYC = Falling, has-been legal market of the past

DC = Rising, shining legal market of the future



(figure I'd stoke the fire a bit)

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 pm

Do your homework before you make ridiculously stupid decisions (and comments) regarding your future.


So picking GW Law over Fordham= ridiculously stupid decision? lol.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 pm

thedogship wrote:Fordham crushes GW in NYC. There's no comparison there. This may be rather obvious, but if you look at any firm in New York, Fordham is well represented and GW may or may not have representation. If you know you want to be in NYC, I think going to Fordham is a safer bet, even with the very recent increased rankings disparity. GW is a good school, and I presumed that they would rebound from that temporary drop last year, but I think if someone is set on NYC for their career, Fordham is the better option. For someone who thinks they might want to be in New York, but is not certain, GW may be the better call as it has more geographic reach (but not an enormous amount) than Fordham; and when I say that, I mean greater reach on the east coast. Both schools get dicey the further west you go. I don't think the rankings really have any effect on Fordham's job placement, since Fordham is such a known commodity in NYC with such a strong and prevalent alumni network. Unlike Columbia or NYU grads that go all over the country, Fordham grads will mostly (by choice or not) stay in the NY area.


Very credited. As for self selection, 96% of incoming Fordham students indicated NYC was their first choice market.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:46 pm

clintonius wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
GermX wrote:I am wondering if anyone else has made a decision like this. Personally, I found Fordham to be a great school. But I have always liked GW Law's location, size, campus, etc... and felt that they had stronger programs. Still, I was leaning on Fordham because of its strength in the NY market, but with the new rankings coming out, it just seemed like madness--why would I go to the school that is dropping consistently in the rankings (now down to 34), and not the school that is now a T-20?



Judging by your behavior in the Cornell thread, I am going to kick the living shit out of you at some point during the year; especially if you're in my section. I suggest you being praying now, for your own safety. Just letting you know in advance.

Angry much today?


--ImageRemoved--

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 am

But from what I understand, overall employment for GW seems to be stronger, I'e heard horror stories out of Fordham with 50% of students having to seriously struggle for jobs in NYC.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 am

GermX wrote:But from what I understand, overall employment for GW seems to be stronger, I'e heard horror stories out of Fordham with 50% of students having to seriously struggle for jobs in NYC.


Hi. This is the economy. Have we met?

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 am

^ Yes we have, which is why I want to go to a T-20 school that gives me a better chance at surviving this economy than a school that isn't even in the T-30 anymore. Just saying.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest