BC vs. Loyola in LA ($84K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC vs. Loyola in LA ($84K)

Postby dc_lady225 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi all!

OK, I've been lurking around TLS for a while, and I am now in need of some serious help. At this point, I'm making the decision between BC and Loyola in LA and SO confused.

- I grew up and went to undergrad in CA.
- I live in DC currently, but I'm a bit weary of Boston's colder weather.
- Part of me really wants to move back to CA bc my family is there, but I also was not a huge fan of living in LA when I was there for undergrad. Plus, a lot of my friends are east coasters these days.
- I visited Boston recently and loved it.
- Loyola offered me $84K, but I'm required to be in the top 1/3 of the class. I know, I'm suspicious of this.

Basically, I feel really lucky with my numbers to have gotten into BC at all, so turning it down seems really stupid. I'm also really nervous about going to Loyola and competing with students from UCLA and USC in a not-so-great market. In the end, though, I have this feeling that I might really wish I was back in CA, maybe not next year, but maybe in 5. I keep hearing that BC has national reputation, but hmm...

HELP! Up until yesterday, I was all for BC, but now I'm SO confused. Anyone have ANY thoughts around this??? Any BC or Loyola students/future students care to provide your POV?

Thanks SO much!!!

Re: BC vs. Loyola in LA ($84K)

Postby RadMobile » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Go with Boston.

Postby dc_lady225 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the reply! Can I ask why? I know it may seem like the obvious choice, but I'm struggling with justifying it entirely/seeing clearly past the CA part.

Thanks, again. Really appreciated.

Postby Informative » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Go with BC unless your heart is set on LA.

The money from Loyola is nice, but there is no guarantee that you'll be in the top 1/3. If you step back and think about it, any given law student has only a 33.33% chance at being in the top 1/3. Those are not the greatest odds to be using as a basis for an important decision.

If you like the northeast and want to work in Boston/NYC/Philly, you should consider BC.
If you want to work in Cali, you should consider Loyola (although google "Loyola 1L on Above The Law" to learn about a recent grad from Loyola. I heard he won lawyer of the year funnily enough).

Some would say if you want BigLaw, go with BC. If you want public interest/govt, go with Loyola. Its true that BC will place better in Biglaw than Loyola, but the debt should be considered as well if you want to do public interest/gov't work.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

RadMobile wrote:Go with Boston.

so I take it you've settled on Davis over LLS? :P

Return to “Choosing a Law School”