Opinions in part time, unaccredited law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tttcomrader

Opinions in part time, unaccredited law school

Postby tttcomrader » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm hoping to keep my full time job during my quest for law.

I'm working in Charleston and I plan to apply for the part time program in Charleston law school, aside from the satisfaction of a JD, my goals after finishing are to do some law consultant work on the side and may be going into politics.

But Charleston School of Law is not yet fully ABA accredited, so will that and the fact of being part time student hurt my goals?

Thank you.

Doritos

Re: Opinions in part time, unaccredited law school

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 am

Part time is less of a deal than the fact that the school is not accredited. At the end of the day a part time JD is still a JD but keep in mind the school has no reputation at all. A school has to be open for 5 years before it can receive accreditation. Charleston opened in 2002 yet it has not achieved full accreditation yet. I would ask them why this is. Not to say you can't do anything with a JD from Charleston just bear in mind you are going to have extra obstacles that a graduate from an accredited school won't have to face. Is there any possibility of you relocating and attending a different part time program?

MidlawMyth

Postby MidlawMyth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:57 am

waste of time and money

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 am

What is "law consultant work"?

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 am

DO NOT GO TO AN UNACCREDITED SCHOOL!!! Especially if it has had the time to get accredited and failed to do so.

violinst

Postby violinst » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 am

NO.

You can do better, much better, and you should.

tttcomrader

Postby tttcomrader » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Well, my undergrad GPA is 3.67 (double major history/math), got my master in math with GPA 3.0 since I slacked off. Haven't taken the LSAT yet but I'm studying for it, to be honest they are a lot like the math problems I do, so shouldn't be too hard I think.

But I'm now teaching math full time in a community college, easy job, no stress, good people, great benefit, yeah, the pay ain't too high (in mid 40k) right now but in the long term I can go higher than 60k. I research a little bit on law school and it seems like a lot of people are having hard time finding a job, or making little more than I do with tons of debt.

So bottom line, I want to keep my job, so I guess I should wait till they are accredited? I presume they should be working on that now, right?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:03 am

tttcomrader wrote:Well, my undergrad GPA is 3.67 (double major history/math), got my master in math with GPA 3.0 since I slacked off. Haven't taken the LSAT yet but I'm studying for it, to be honest they are a lot like the math problems I do, so shouldn't be too hard I think.

But I'm now teaching math full time in a community college, easy job, no stress, good people, great benefit, yeah, the pay ain't too high (in mid 40k) right now but in the long term I can go higher than 60k. I research a little bit on law school and it seems like a lot of people are having hard time finding a job, or making little more than I do with tons of debt.

So bottom line, I want to keep my job, so I guess I should wait till they are accredited? I presume they should be working on that now, right?

Don't attend an unaccredited school - period. Ever. EVER! You've got a real solid GPA, don't waste it...my advice to you is to study hard and take the LSAT, then come back here with a score/GPA combo and we'll tell you your best options, and whether or not those options will likely outweigh your current job in prospective earnings.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

Just don't do it. Get your act together, do well on the LSAT and at least try to get into a proper (ABA accredited) law school.

tttcomrader

Postby tttcomrader » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 am

Thank you so much for the advice, I will take my LSAT and I shall return for an assessment.

Thank you!!!

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 am

tttcomrader wrote:Thank you so much for the advice, I will take my LSAT and I shall return for an assessment.

Thank you!!!

No probs and good luck.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 am

As many have already said, study & do well on the LSAT. At the very least, you should go to USC over Charleston even though they do not offer a part time program. If you are even considering going into politics in SC, USC is the route to go.

Charleston School of Law is a for-profit law school designed to generate lots of $ for its owners similar to any other business. It is also unaccredited and the alumni network is virtually non-existent.

If you do really well and want to come back to Charleston, ED to UVA (or other T14) and return with no problem.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”