William Mitchell or U IA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mythosopher

New

William Mitchell or U IA

Post by mythosopher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 pm

I can either go to William Mitchell with 90% of my tuition covered by scholarships, or I can go to U Iowa all on loans.

I'm conflicted. Money is a big factor for me, but I still am not sure what I want right now.

I plan to go into public interest, non-profit, and government work, etc. I plan to avoid big business law firm work. Anyone have advice/thoughts?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Re: William Mitchell or U IA

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

If you like the Twin City area, William Mitchell will suit you perfectly. Plus its a top law school now. Don't drawn yourself in debt if you intend to do PI work. William Mitchell seems a great option for you.

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:33 pm

William Mitchell is fantastic. I just deposited last week because of their generous scholarship they gave me. I'm moving from New York but fell in love with the Twin Cities and the school. WM supposedly has a great PI program and their highly involved with the Minnesota Justice Foundation. Hope to see you there in the Fall. Good luck with your decision!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I have this same decision to make. WM is fantastic if you know you want to stay in the TC. Also, if you were offered 90% you probably had a shot at the Fellows program. Have you heard from 'em about it?

Have you visited both?

When I visited WM last week I talked with a recent Gustie grad who chose WM over Iowa and Wisc. He seemed pleased with his decision. I could track down his name if you want...

Good luck with your decision!

(full disclosure: I deposited at Iowa last week but I haven't ruled-out Mitchell quite yet)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Are you instate for Iowa?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Yes, I get in-state tuition for Iowa.

I have heard of the WM Fellows program; they're actively recruiting me for it and I just haven't gotten back to them about that specifically.

I also have visited both. I liked WM's campus a little more, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The thing that bugs me about Iowa is that they don't have a philosophy or mission statement or anything about law. That's like having a business without a business, branding, or marketing plan.

But Iowa is a far better school. Plus I could get a dual degree in philosophy if I go there.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 pm

One option to consider is to attend William Mitchell College of Law for the first year on scholarship to experience the quality of the students, the facilities & the instruction. If it works out for you, then you will have found a home; but, if it doesn't live up to your expectations, then you should be able to transfer to Iowa & enjoy instate tuition for your final two years of law school.
Are you willing to share your stats that earned you such a substantial scholarship?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm

mythosopher wrote:
I have heard of the WM Fellows program; they're actively recruiting me for it and I just haven't gotten back to them about that specifically.
I would DEFINITELY encourage you to look into it if you end up at Mitchell. Fantastic program. I met with both the current "director" and the professor who started it and was impressed. One went to Harvard and the other Yale...smart guys.

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm afraid if I accept WM but regret it, that when I apply to IA, they will for some reason not accept me.

I'll share my stats once I've decided.

I should also note that I don't want to lock myself to the Twin Cities forever. Working in DC is an option I'd like to keep open someday. But I'll bet no one in DC has ever heard of WM. I'm afraid WM will limit my future options too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ohnowtf

New

Post by ohnowtf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 am

mythosopher wrote:I'm afraid if I accept WM but regret it, that when I apply to IA, they will for some reason not accept me.

I'll share my stats once I've decided.

I should also note that I don't want to lock myself to the Twin Cities forever. Working in DC is an option I'd like to keep open someday. But I'll bet no one in DC has ever heard of WM. I'm afraid WM will limit my future options too much.
If you want DC as an option I don't think WM or Iowa are good choices. If you want more options, in general, then go to IA. I'm a current WM student. I'm not from the TC, but knew that I would remain here after graduation. I'm happy with my choice. If you have any questions about the school or the area, ask away.

PS, somebody mentioned the 'fellows' program. Its relatively knew. The best thing about it is that you are paired with a faculty member. Hence, it is forced networking, and you get priority if you want to RA during the summer/school year.

Small Law

New

Post by Small Law » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 pm

What is up with all the Mitchell trolls lately? You do realize that this school was ranked in the fourth tier only two years ago? It's a good school if you get a full scholarship, but its just a little school in St. Paul with little-to-no revenue and bounces around the lower tiers. U IA would be a significantly better deal even at full price. You aren't going anywhere outside of Minnesota with a WM degree. You'd be better off at U IA, UMinn or St.T over WM. The state schools would probably give you in-state reciprocity and St. T gives out generous scholarships (they have a pretty rediculous sum of money for a private school).

MSP1

New

Post by MSP1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Small Law wrote:What is up with all the Mitchell trolls lately? You do realize that this school was ranked in the fourth tier only two years ago? It's a good school if you get a full scholarship, but its just a little school in St. Paul with little-to-no revenue and bounces around the lower tiers. U IA would be a significantly better deal even at full price. You aren't going anywhere outside of Minnesota with a WM degree. You'd be better off at U IA, UMinn or St.T over WM. The state schools would probably give you in-state reciprocity and St. T gives out generous scholarships (they have a pretty rediculous sum of money for a private school).
St. Thomas grads aren't more likely to work outside MN than William Mitchell grads. And if you're looking at a 90% scholarship from WM, than who cares how much St. Thomas gives out? WM's a better school; has been for the past ten years, still is.

Besides, we're talking about choosing between Iowa and WM. Stay on topic, if you please.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Wasn't WM ranked in the fourth tier only a year or two ago? Not sure why you would ever choose WM over U IA, even taking money into consideration. And no, if money is equal, I would take St. T over WM due to law firm placement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MSP1

New

Post by MSP1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Informative wrote:Wasn't WM ranked in the fourth tier only a year or two ago? Not sure why you would ever choose WM over U IA, even taking money into consideration. And no, if money is equal, I would take St. T over WM due to law firm placement.
Whoa, whoa, I'm sorry, but we don't speak gibberish here.

Let's return to the main question. In this economy and legal market, if you have two offers to go to law school, one nearly for free, and the other full bore, the choice is clear. Take the money and run.

Now, if we were talking about choosing between Yale and Golden Gate, and the goal was to work in NYC Big Law, the answer would be different. But we're not. The OP wants to explore public interest work, which is hardly remunerative anyway, so perhaps a huge scholarship would be best, especially when the two schools have similar cache in the Twin Cities.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:37 pm

MSP1 wrote:
Informative wrote:Wasn't WM ranked in the fourth tier only a year or two ago? Not sure why you would ever choose WM over U IA, even taking money into consideration. And no, if money is equal, I would take St. T over WM due to law firm placement.
Whoa, whoa, I'm sorry, but we don't speak gibberish here.

Let's return to the main question. In this economy and legal market, if you have two offers to go to law school, one nearly for free, and the other full bore, the choice is clear. Take the money and run.

Now, if we were talking about choosing between Yale and Golden Gate, and the goal was to work in NYC Big Law, the answer would be different. But we're not. The OP wants to explore public interest work, which is hardly remunerative anyway, so perhaps a huge scholarship would be best, especially when the two schools have similar cache in the Twin Cities.
Wrong. The correct answer is Iowa at sticker + IBR for PI.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:01 pm

WM is the second-best school in Minnesota if you want to work in Minnesota. After the University of Minnesota the rankings stop mattering. WM and UMN have approximately the same size alumni networks in both government and downtown law firms. To assume that WM does not place well in the Twin Cities due to its ranking is simply wrong.

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Tanicius wrote:WM is the second-best school in Minnesota if you want to work in Minnesota. After the University of Minnesota the rankings stop mattering. WM and UMN have approximately the same size alumni networks in both government and downtown law firms. To assume that WM does not place well in the Twin Cities due to its ranking is simply wrong.
+1

MSP1, good to see you back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

And WM is now a Tier 2 school if you wanna be a rankings whore about it, not Tier 4. Not that it matters for their placement ability anyway.

krzyzewski

New

Post by krzyzewski » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

For what it's worth, I was in the exact same position as you. I had a 90% scholarship to WM and sticker price at Iowa. (I had many other options, but my decision basically came down to that because I am still on the WL at Minnesota and WUSTL)

I chose WM because I feel that I want to remain in MN after graduation and WM places very well in the Twin Cities area. Also, I was accepted into the Fellows program which seems like it will be an incredible opportunity. While I was tempted to commit to Iowa due to the ranking/prestige, and it's placement in Chicago, I chose WM because I wanted to minimize debt without limiting my job opportunities in the Twin Cities.

So I guess you could follow Slimpee to Iowa or me to WM if your choice is truly narrowed down to just those two.

If you have anymore questions you can PM me.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 pm

WallyGator12000 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:WM is the second-best school in Minnesota if you want to work in Minnesota. After the University of Minnesota the rankings stop mattering. WM and UMN have approximately the same size alumni networks in both government and downtown law firms. To assume that WM does not place well in the Twin Cities due to its ranking is simply wrong.
+1

MSP1, good to see you back.

I don't know who that is, and I don't think I will actually even apply to WM, but I'd like to see their posts. Apparently we share the knowledge that practically every other lawyer in Minnesota came from WM. I can't count the Mitchell alums I know in my hometown and elsewhere. The UST folks I know don't go past the fingers on one of my hands.

[Edit]: Found his posts. That dude did his research: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p1977398

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”