TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Arizona vs. Penn?

Arizona w/Perry Rogers (full-tuition)
19%
Penn w/James Wilson ($75K)
81%

Total votes: 181

sundevil77

Bronze

TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Post by sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 am

Please read if you're gonna vote...I'm from Arizona and I'm fairly certain I would like to come back to work in Phoenix after graduation. I definitely want to start out at a big firm (market salary), but I'm not sure I see myself at a big firm long-term. The long-term goals I have include being involved in politics in some capacity (i.e. state representative, Congress, etc.). Am I leaving out anything important?

Arizona

Pros:
-Perry Rogers Scholarship (full-tuition and fees) = less debt
-Ability to standout (i.e. law review, moot court, etc.)
-Good chance of Phoenix Biglaw if I finish in top 10% of class
-I visited the campus and liked it- the faculty really seems to care about the success of students
-Opportunity to network with people that will be here in Arizona long-term
-Many respected AZ politicians went to U of A

Cons:
-Tucson is ok, but not great
-I could leave feeling unfulfilled or regret passing up Penn
-Slight chance I may not get the job I want
-It's ranked number 42!

Penn

Pros:
-James Wilson Scholarship ($75K)
-Visited the campus- it was amazing
-Extremely talented student body will challenge me more intellectually
-Cool experience to live in Philly for a few years
-Prestige of having "Penn" association for life
-Networking with potentially influential business/legal leaders

Cons:
-Most people I meet aren't going to be in AZ long-term (for political networking)
-Won't standout as much
-About $60-70K more expensive than UA for possibly the same job

I had pretty much made up my mind to forego Chicago, Duke, Penn, etc. to go to U of A after I visited last Saturday. Then Penn went and decided to give me this new scholarship! I'm so torn on what I should do. Any advice/comments are appreciated! Karma comes around!

PDaddy

Gold

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Post by PDaddy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:35 am

I'm not a real "rankings guy", but this is just too easy. If you even have to ask this question, maybe you should look into another profession. :? :roll: Even if Penn were charging you sticker Penn would likely still have the edge. They're giving out candy and you're wondering if you should go? I'll tell you what. You go to Arizona, meanwhile, call Penn and tell them you have a "friend" on TLS that you insist must get your scholarship, otherwise, you'll come to the school and be the worst gunner in history. PM me with the deposit amounts and I'll get in touch with Cheryl Fulton in the admissions office to arrange things. :roll:

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:36 am

PDaddy wrote:I'm not a real "rankings guy", but this is just too easy. If you even have to ask this question, maybe you should look into another profession. :? :roll:
+1

I voted for Arizona out of spite.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 am

Boba Fett wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I'm not a real "rankings guy", but this is just too easy. If you even have to ask this question, maybe you should look into another profession. :? :roll:
+1

I voted for Arizona out of spite.
This, I only voted for Arizona because I'd rather dig my eye balls out with spoons than agree with PDaddy.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 am

You can't have it both ways... For Biglaw go to Penn. For Arizona politics...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greyarea

New

Post by greyarea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 am

If you were looking at Penn at sticker, I could see a moment for pause as being reasonable. But with 75K at Penn, I think you're answer is clear. With the Phoenix market the way it is, networking is definitely important, so be sure to keep strong ties in AZ while at studying Penn.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:42 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 am

Danteshek wrote:You can't have it both ways... For Biglaw go to Penn. For Arizona politics...
This. Do you have WE? My best friend since I was a little kid just got shut out for biglaw at OCI, and noticed that it happened largely to those without WE. He's on the Exec Board of UofA LR and is one of most well-respected kids I've ever met. Not saying the economy won't improve with 2 years' worth of time, only that this year was brutal. Food for thought.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 am

Blatant "I got a big scholly at Penn" trolling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 am

go to Penn. It will open more doors for you initially, and those doors will open more doors. That's a very nice scholarship; Penn seems a little tight-fisted, so good for you. If you managed to wrangle that out of them, I'm quite sure you'll do just fine there.

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Blatant "I got a big scholly at Penn" trolling.

I have to agree. There is no decision to make here. You will go to Penn, the law school Gods already decided this.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am

I was reading through your post thinking, "Hmm...I'll probably vote UofA, actually...", until I saw that you got a half-tuition scholarship at Penn -- a much better school that you really loved during your visit. Go to Penn.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Please read if you're gonna vote...I'm from Arizona and I'm fairly certain I would like to come back to work in Phoenix after graduation. I definitely want to start out at a big firm (market salary)
Penn.

Your chances of getting a big firm job in Phoenix from Penn could be 5x or even 10x better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 pm

If you want to work at a big firm going to U of A will be a terrible mistake. That is all. Not to mention this decision isn't and shouldn't have ever been close.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

BTW, since you did your undergrad at ASU, I don't think you'll be barred from state politics because of going to an elite law school.

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 pm

I had a similar dilemma to you except it was full scholarship at Miami vs full price at Penn. I chose Penn. I went to undergrad at Miami and after speaking with partners at big firms down here ( I plan to practice in Miami) everyone told me to take Penn. Miami was a close second as it does extremely well in South Florida but Penn is just in a different league plus having gone to your local school for undergrad demonstrates enough ties to the community IMO.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I reread this twice thinking that you just were confused and kept referring to Penn State as Penn because you didn't know better. But you REALLY mean PENN ... there is no question, go to Penn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Without the scholarship at Penn, I'd vote U of A. With it, I don't think there's any question which is the better option for you. The only way, under these circumstances, I wouldn't choose Penn is if I were dreading the move east and living in Philly. Since you seem to be excited about those prospects, the choice is an easy one.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Penn by a land slid (unless you mistakenly said Penn and meant Penn State). This really is a no-brainer.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 pm

I kept re-reading thinking you must have meant Penn State. This isn't even remotely close.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Blatant "I got a big scholly at Penn" trolling.
Haha, I wish I was trolling, but this is a difficult decision for me. I appreciate all of the responses so far; they seem to be nearly unanimous at this point. I guess I've been led to believe by the UofA people, as well as lawyers here in the Phoenix area, that I would stand a pretty decent chance at getting Phoenix Biglaw (to some of you that doesn't count as Biglaw, I know) from their school. And while living in Philly would be a pretty cool experience for a couple of years, I guess I might be more aprehensive about such a big move than I let on.

Seriously, thanks for the advice everyone!

Edit: Can anyone make a legitimate case for Arizona?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I guess I've been led to believe by the UofA people, as well as lawyers here in the Phoenix area, that I would stand a pretty decent chance at getting Phoenix Biglaw (to some of you that doesn't count as Biglaw, I know) from their school.
They're misleading you. 5% or whatever is not a "pretty decent chance."

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 pm

UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:20 pm

sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?

No.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?

No.
Fair enough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”