Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn vs Michigan $$

Penn
11%
Michigan ($23,500/year)
89%

Total votes: 44

bailey10

Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$

Postby bailey10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:55 pm

After a ton of thought and visits to schools, I have successfully narrowed down my law school choices to Michigan and Penn.
At this point, I have $23,500/year Dean's Scholarship to Michigan and nothing from Penn. I attempted a negotiation with Penn and mentioned my Michigan scholarship and a larger scholarship to Duke. Penn asked for copies of the offers a couple weeks ago but haven't responded. At this point, it's looking like I would be paying a lot more money to be at Penn...

Penn is a more appealing choice for me personally. I am from 1.5 hours away and have a few friends in Philly. I like Philadelphia and am familiar with it. I currently live on the west coast and think it would be a nice change to be closer to home/friends. Also I am attracted to the idea of living in a larger city as opposed to Ann Arbor. I feel like I could have more balance in my life if I were at Penn (for instance, I could hang out/live with someone not affiliated with law school at all).

I went to ASW at Michigan and liked the school. My brother is currently there for UG and loves Ann Arbor/Michigan. I felt like I could be happy there but am nervous about the weather, living alone, not knowing anyone (other than my brother), etc. I really liked the community vibe at the school but felt like it might be a little too collegiate/fratty for me.

As far as career prospects/legal interests, I am interested in public interest/human rights law (currently working full time at a non-profit)... but that could definitely change at some point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Dtackpat75

Re: Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:00 pm

bailey10 wrote:After a ton of thought and visits to schools, I have successfully narrowed down my law school choices to Michigan and Penn.
At this point, I have $23,500/year Dean's Scholarship to Michigan and nothing from Penn. I attempted a negotiation with Penn and mentioned my Michigan scholarship and a larger scholarship to Duke. Penn asked for copies of the offers a couple weeks ago but haven't responded. At this point, it's looking like I would be paying a lot more money to be at Penn...

Penn is a more appealing choice for me personally. I am from 1.5 hours away and have a few friends in Philly. I like Philadelphia and am familiar with it. I currently live on the west coast and think it would be a nice change to be closer to home/friends. Also I am attracted to the idea of living in a larger city as opposed to Ann Arbor. I feel like I could have more balance in my life if I were at Penn (for instance, I could hang out/live with someone not affiliated with law school at all).

I went to ASW at Michigan and liked the school. My brother is currently there for UG and loves Ann Arbor/Michigan. I felt like I could be happy there but am nervous about the weather, living alone, not knowing anyone (other than my brother), etc. I really liked the community vibe at the school but felt like it might be a little too collegiate/fratty for me.

As far as career prospects/legal interests, I am interested in public interest/human rights law (currently working full time at a non-profit)... but that could definitely change at some point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

This is a no brainer. UM!

laweli

Postby laweli » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Clearly Michigan for public interest/human rights.

Look at the numbers from Equal Justice Works (http://www.ejwguide.org/):

Total enrollment: Mich 1151, Penn 781
Employed in Business and Industry: Mich 74%, Penn 85%
Employed in Government: Mich 3%, Penn 2%
Employed in Public Interest (non profit): Mich 6% Penn 2%
Employed in Judicial Clerkships: Mich 14%, Penn 9%
% of Grads in Public Service Jobs: Mich 21%, Penn 13%

And because of UM's larger size, those aren't just higher percentages, but higher overall numbers, too.

Disclosure: I'm going to Michigan in the fall (for PI).

rolark

Postby rolark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Michigan! As laweli pointed out, it is much, much stronger for PI (also, international law). While you might already know more people around the Philly area, you'll have a larger group of people sharing your interests at Michigan.

Also, I'm going to Michigan and I'd like as many PI people in the class as possible!

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

How cool is your younger brother? If he is a big time frat-star, he can probably plug you right in the social scene!!!!!!!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Easiest poll ever.

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm curious in this poll, and although it does seem obvious, I have a question.

Do any Michigan people find not being able to stay there for their summer employment as a positive or a negative?

Also how hard was it to find a social network?

The urban vs. college town feel is a conflict I'll likely be experiencing in my own decision.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Michigan would be TCR even if $$ was equal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”