Is BC on a gradual decline? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blindmelon

Gold

Re: Is BC on a gradual decline?

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Not that it really matters, but now that the assessment between BC/BU are the same, BC is going to have a really hard time climbing back up. Yes, BC raised their median LSAT, but so most other schools, except to do so BC had to admit a lot of weak splitters which lowered their GPA. Thats probably what pulled them down to 28.

Now with everything equal, yet BU being more selective, I wonder if it'll pull more stronger applicants from BC and just continue the trend.

Oh well. US News doesn't mean much at all - but I was a little disappointed to be behind UIUC - GW doesn't really bother me.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Not that it really matters, but now that the assessment between BC/BU are the same, BC is going to have a really hard time climbing back up. Yes, BC raised their median LSAT, but so most other schools, except to do so BC had to admit a lot of weak splitters which lowered their GPA. Thats probably what pulled them down to 28.

Now with everything equal, yet BU being more selective, I wonder if it'll pull more stronger applicants from BC and just continue the trend.

Oh well. US News doesn't mean much at all - but I was a little disappointed to be behind UIUC - GW doesn't really bother me.
So says the BU student. Haha. I don't think I would pick BU over BC, even given the rankings. Name recognition and reputation are more important to me and the consensus I get from talking to attorneys is that the schools are close but that BC places better in biglaw (backed up now by the NLJ250 rankings).

Eitherway, I agree with all the commenters that there really is no difference between the 18-30 schools as far as USNews is concerned. But when you look at Iowa/Indiana/Illinois/WUSTL, these schools just don't seem to place nearly as well in the top firms. Probably due to location (Other than Faegre, I can't think of a big firm with an Iowa presence).

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Informative wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Not that it really matters, but now that the assessment between BC/BU are the same, BC is going to have a really hard time climbing back up. Yes, BC raised their median LSAT, but so most other schools, except to do so BC had to admit a lot of weak splitters which lowered their GPA. Thats probably what pulled them down to 28.

So says the BU student. Haha. I don't think I would pick BU over BC, even given the rankings. Name recognition and reputation are more important to me and the consensus I get from talking to attorneys is that the schools are close but that BC places better in biglaw (backed up now by the NLJ250 rankings).

Eitherway, I agree with all the commenters that there really is no difference between the 18-30 schools as far as USNews is concerned. But when you look at Iowa/Indiana/Illinois/WUSTL, these schools just don't seem to place nearly as well in the top firms. Probably due to location (Other than Faegre, I can't think of a big firm with an Iowa presence).
BC placed better in biglaw?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Yea, Informative you might want to look at the biglaw placement of BU/BC, its identical. Nice try trolling though.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm

True. I just saw that BU is catching up. Last year BC outranked BU by three or four spots.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Yea, Informative you might want to look at the biglaw placement of BU/BC, its identical. Nice try trolling though.
You can't blame them man. Insecurity always wins out.

I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to justify their way past the whole assessment scores being the same as meaning nothing because they've "heard from people (probably other BC hopefuls on TLS) that BC is is better among the older crowd." Most of their arguments generally rest on hearsay.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Informative wrote:Sorry, here is what I was looking at. Info was a bit stale.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&start=75

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108517
Interesting. The two years aren't really representative though. I'll be curious to see the number for this year when we'll really see what firms are committed to hiring from certain schools and who was just riding the high level of legal demand over the last 10 years.

splinter23x

New

Post by splinter23x » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 pm

I certainly don't think BC is on the decline anywhere except US News, which isn't real. I don't understand the US News thing. BC has a lower acceptance rate than any school above it until UCLA. Same with Fordham all the way up to UCLA, except for BC. US News clearly doesn't represent where students want to go, at least. And who chooses Indiana or Georgia over Fordham. What?

As for the BC vs. BU fight that erupted here, I always thought the schools were basically equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Even I, with my blatant BC bias have conceded that BU/BC are equal. :P

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 pm

I wrestled with BU/BC and ultimately emerged from that debate with BU, for strictly personal reasons.

BC has the name recognition, no question. And historically they were ranked over BU (up until the past 10 years or so). However, BU is well known for its powerhouse faculty. Also there is something to be said for the quality of a school to overcome that godwaful campus.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

OneSixtySix wrote:I wrestled with BU/BC and ultimately emerged from that debate with BU, for strictly personal reasons.

BC has the name recognition, no question. And historically they were ranked over BU (up until the past 10 years or so). However, BU is well known for its powerhouse faculty. Also there is something to be said for the quality of a school to overcome that godwaful campus.
It's sad because they want to tear that tower down, but the city won't let them because it's one of the few examples of "brutalist" architecture. Maybe this is why BU's property classes are oriented more towards owners' rights...

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 am

sullidop wrote:
OneSixtySix wrote:I wrestled with BU/BC and ultimately emerged from that debate with BU, for strictly personal reasons.

It's sad because they want to tear that tower down, but the city won't let them because it's one of the few examples of "brutalist" architecture. Maybe this is why BU's property classes are oriented more towards owners' rights...
I recall reading an article about that. I laughed to myself that city is arguing the law tower cannot be torn down simply because its huge and ugly in a city that is compact and relatively beautiful (I say relatively because the month of February exists).

I keep trying to use it as a detractor against BU for my own personal decision, but in the end its beyond irrelevant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 am

Frank Galvin went to BC.

BC (Galvin) > BU (No Galvin).

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 am

Ha, yes and Jack Ryan went there undergrad. BC has a storied tradition of fictional alumni.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”