Wake (sticker) vs. Pitt ($$) vs. Cincy ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake (sticker) vs. Pitt ($$) vs. Cincy ($)

Wake Forest
28%
Cincinnati
17%
Pittsburgh
56%

Total votes: 18

keemos

Bronze

Wake (sticker) vs. Pitt ($$) vs. Cincy ($)

Post by keemos » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a ton of undergrad loans (~55K) so I am pretty debt averse. I have visited all three schools and found each to have its perks in terms of location and living there for three years. I want to work in sports law ideally but since that is a field big on who you know I would also consider litigation or corporate law. I want to eventually move back to the New York area but I do realize that I would potentially have to work for a few years in Pitt/Cincinnati/Charlotte.

Wake is the better school in my mind and I enjoyed the class I sat in on at Wake the best. It also has the best mobility of the three schools. Not too much going on in Winston-Salem though

I really fell in love with the city of Pittsburgh and could see myself living there for a few years but the job prospects (especially for summer after 1L) seem to be the lowest there.

Cincinnati was also a nice enough city and the vibe about summer jobs and future employment seemed to be pretty strong there. Cincy and Pitt would cost about the same to attend.

I also have a girlfriend of two years who is going to try and follow me (she does marketing) so it would be nice to be somewhere where she could get a job too...

In the end I want to go to a school that will give me the best job opportunities but I am worried about debt. Thanks for the responses

keemos

Bronze

Re: Wake (sticker) vs. Pitt ($$) vs. Cincy ($)

Post by keemos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 am

bump. anyone feel kind enough to comment?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm not sure Wake is worth sticker price over a school (Pitt) more located in the region you'd prefer working.

Though to be fair, I don't know much about the job prospects coming out of Pitt. But it seems a better bet for maybe some day migrating to NYC. Closer and all that.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm

keemos wrote:Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a ton of undergrad loans (~55K) so I am pretty debt averse. I have visited all three schools and found each to have its perks in terms of location and living there for three years. I want to work in sports law ideally but since that is a field big on who you know I would also consider litigation or corporate law. I want to eventually move back to the New York area but I do realize that I would potentially have to work for a few years in Pitt/Cincinnati/Charlotte.

Wake is the better school in my mind and I enjoyed the class I sat in on at Wake the best. It also has the best mobility of the three schools. Not too much going on in Winston-Salem though

I really fell in love with the city of Pittsburgh and could see myself living there for a few years but the job prospects (especially for summer after 1L) seem to be the lowest there.

Cincinnati was also a nice enough city and the vibe about summer jobs and future employment seemed to be pretty strong there. Cincy and Pitt would cost about the same to attend.

I also have a girlfriend of two years who is going to try and follow me (she does marketing) so it would be nice to be somewhere where she could get a job too...

In the end I want to go to a school that will give me the best job opportunities but I am worried about debt. Thanks for the responses
you should immediately take wake out of the equation. it's definitely not worth sticker.
pitt and cincy are quite similar. during the height of the legal field in 2007 about 75% of their 3LS were employed at graduation. and 25% of their grads made 60k/65k or more. you should pick whichever school would allow your girlfriend to more easily land a job or whichever location you think you'd fit in/enjoy better. good luck with your decision.
Last edited by najumobi on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the responses so far

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”