Vandy or ND v. UF ($) for South Florida Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school for biglaw (preferably S. Florida)

Vandy (sticker)
64%
ND (sticker)
No votes
UF ($18k/in-state)
36%

Total votes: 25

fcowrx

Bronze

Vandy or ND v. UF ($) for South Florida

Post by fcowrx » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

With the WL at Duke this afternoon my only shot at the T25 are Vandy and ND. While both are reaches, I've been thinking about that off-chance that I get admitted after the surprising WL at Duke. I'm pretty confident I want to move back to Miami/South Florida after law school and practice here, with hopes of doing big law for a few years.

So, if I somehow sneak into one of these. What would you choose? (assuming sticker at both since they're ACTUAL reaches / in-state and $18k scholly at UF)

Vandy v. UF? I think I'd probably take the extra debt at Vandy.

ND v. UF? I'm thinking probably UF. Reason being that while ND has decent national reach I don't think the benefits, if any, over UF (for Florida) are worth the extra $120k in debt.

Thoughts? Beyond just the poll...

Lawof_theLand

New

Re: Vandy or ND v. UF ($) for South Florida

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 pm

School representation of 2 biggest firms in S. Fla

Greenberg Traurig
77 from UF
20 from Vandy
2 from ND
78 from UMiami

Ruden Mclosky:
11 from UF
0 from Vandy
0 from ND
15 from UMiami

Biggest benefit to an in-state school is that you are better prepared to pass the Florida Bar, and to practice under Florida law.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:School representation of 2 biggest firms in S. Fla

Greenberg Traurig
77 from UF
20 from Vandy
2 from ND
78 from UMiami

Ruden Mclosky:
11 from UF
0 from Vandy
0 from ND
15 from UMiami

Biggest benefit to an in-state school is that you are better prepared to pass the Florida Bar, and to practice under Florida law.
The problem with the stats above is that there is always self-selection. I mean how many Vandy grads want biglaw in S. Fla versus how many landed biglaw jobs down here.. I'm curious as to how much lower firms are willing to dip in the class ranking for a Vandy grad. Top 1/3 in stead of Top 10-15% ??

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Between Vandy and UF...Vandy

Between UF and ND...UF

Questions just pm as I go to Vandy and went to UF undergrad.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm curious as to how much lower firms are willing to dip in the class ranking for a Vandy grad. Top 1/3 in stead of Top 10-15% ??
No question that having attorneys with nationally recognizable school names may help a firm win clients and could be attractive hires, but does Vandy carry that kind of weight in the mind of a potential client?

I think all things being equal S. Fla. firms will recruit for exceptional talent from out-of-state schools, and for name recognition to a much lesser extent, but all other things being equal will look for someone from UM, UFL, or even FSU and Stetson.

With their hiring they will be trying to fill a particular gap in a particular Department. A candidate who can immediately pick up an in-state workload and start making money for the firm, with a demonstrably good handle on issues particular to Florida's statutory and judicial framework, ought to be an attractive hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”