Poll- Mich($) vs 15-17($$) vs UIUC ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mich($) vs 15-17($$) vs UIUC ($$$)

Poll ended at Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Michigan (30 k total)
59%
UCLA (45 k total)
No votes
UT (69 k total including non residential tuition exemption)
12%
Vandy (60 k total)
24%
UIUC (105k total)
6%

Total votes: 17

Acedeuce

New

Poll- Mich($) vs 15-17($$) vs UIUC ($$$)

Post by Acedeuce » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Having a tough time deciding between a couple of very attractive choices at the moment. Interested in other feed back. Vanderbilt decision by 15th means I better get going on this. These are the main considerations and they are basically listed in how I would rank them in terms of importance to me.

Career interests/lofty goals- Clerkship followed by big law, possibly public interest if I found something that is engaging to me. Not opposed to a Gov job either.

School specifics- clinics, journal opportunities, GREAT professors(approachable and brilliant), friendly students

Location-If ending up in a big city I would prefer Chicago over NYC, or LA. Smaller markets I would focus on would be in the Midwest, but still unsure to the point where something new might be fun.

Personal- UM undergrad who can see Pros and Cons of leaving Ann Arbor. Is there a downside to going to the same Law School as your Undergrad? Also, relative recently graduated Vanderbilt law means I am more inclined towards Vandy of the 15-17 crowd (but still considering all). Some family help (less than 50 K) possible.

Comments welcome and appreciated!

(Edit added location considerations)

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Re: Poll- Mich($) vs 15-17($$) vs UIUC ($$$)

Post by Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:15 pm

I say U of Michigan or UIUC.

Both can take you to Chicago one is very prestigious and the other is dirt cheap with that scholarship.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:29 pm

If Clerkship/BigLaw is what you are set on, you need to pony up for a T14, and if you want to be in Chicago, Michigan is a good one to pick.

There isn't a NW (45K)-type option that you haven't told us about is there?

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Made nearly the same decision. I have similar life goals (clerkship + biglaw), and at the time of my decision I wanted to place into Chicago.

I picked Michigan and haven't looked back.

Also, there are TONS of U of M alums here, and all seem very happy (though I won't definitely speak for them). For full disclosure, I did not go to Michigan for undergrad.

Acedeuce

New

Post by Acedeuce » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm

verdandi wrote:Made nearly the same decision. I have similar life goals (clerkship + biglaw), and at the time of my decision I wanted to place into Chicago.

I picked Michigan and haven't looked back.

Also, there are TONS of U of M alums here, and all seem very happy (though I won't definitely speak for them). For full disclosure, I did not go to Michigan for undergrad.
Thanks to all the responses, I am sending in my UM deposit today after thinking it over intensively these last few days. I am very excited to get started with all of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”