UT$$$ vs Stanford

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
longhorn87

UT$$$ vs Stanford

Postby longhorn87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 am

I'm having trouble deciding between SLS or full scholarship at UT.

There are a lot of "What's the best school for Texas biglaw" threads out there, but they all seem to include comments like "assuming you didn't get into HYS..." But what if you did? Are there really no circumstances in which it makes sense to pick UT (with a full ride) over Harvard/Yale/Stanford?

I'm pretty sure (but maybe not quite positive) that I want to practice in Texas. I went to UT for undergrad (engineering), and I love and miss Austin. I currently work for a software company in Silicon Valley, about ten minutes from Stanford.

Thoughts?

smov_operator

Re: UT$$$ vs Stanford

Postby smov_operator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 am

Did you get anything from STanford?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 am

i say stanford 60% and UT 40% for a couple reasons. stanford crushes UT in this area. also, ppl usually have a harder time finding work in texas because of its tendency to hire from those who have a connection to the state. since you went to UT for undergrad you got that covered. i don't see you having any trouble finding work in texas with a UT and stanford degree. lastly, stanford will open a lot more doors for you in the future. however, a full ride through law school is hard to pass up and UT is a great school on its own. you really can't go wrong with either choice so i say choose the one that is more comfortable for you and makes you feel more satisfied.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:48 am

Considering you're already 10 minutes from Stanford, I'd strongly suggest staying in Palo Alto. Not that I wouldn't already suggest this, but this pretty much seals the deal.

You can get a solid Texas biglaw position from more or less anywhere in your class at Stanford. Straight P's 1L year will likely be good enough to get you what you're looking for. On the other hand, median at Texas might close some of the same positions to you.

Also, do you want to work in IP given your engineering background? If you want to do patent lit. or something of that sort, the Stanford brand is really unmatched for IP. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice going to Texas.

You seem to have some ties to Texas so it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to convince employers that it is your target market. I think all of these factors point to SLS as your best option.

On the other hand, if all you're looking for is run of the mill Austin midlaw, I don't think anyone could blame you for choosing Texas. With no debt and networking opportunities, you should have ample opportunity to work yourself into those jobs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”