Villanova (sticker) v Syracuse (30k scholly)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Villanova at sticker, or Syracuse w/ 30k scholarship

Villanova (estimated debt 135k)
78%
Syracuse (estimated debt 80-90k)
22%

Total votes: 18

beach_terror

Villanova (sticker) v Syracuse (30k scholly)

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey guys, this is my second one of these bad boys. I've narrowed it down to Villanova at sticker (possibly a small amount of $, I've been harping them for some). Or Syracuse with a 30k scholly, maintaining a 2.8gpa. I plan to live and work in Philly, but I'm not adverse to going wherever I can land a job.

I'm not sure what kind of law I'm interested in yet, but PI seems enticing (prosecution). Anywho, if I go to Villanova and can land a job in Philadelphia, I can live at home and payoff my debt with my entire paycheck, for as long as I need to make it go bye bye. A lot of people on here are very debt adverse, as am I, but it seems that if I can land a job in Philadelphia, I'll be in pretty good shape after 3-5 years.

I'm still riding the WL at Temple and won't hear until July, and I have no desire to live in Camden (so I ruled R-C out).

If you could leave some input, I'd love to here it. This is a huge decision, so anything is welcome (even telling me to /wrists because I'm not going to T-14 and I might pay sticker at a T2).

kaydish21

Re: Villanova (sticker) v Syracuse (30k scholly)

Postby kaydish21 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:02 pm

This I think is pretty easy, you should definitely go to Nova. Syracuse's placement stats are abysmal. Just read the TLS article about 'Cuse law. Only like 60% of the class had a job upon graduation and that was before the economy was terrible and when they were still ranked #100, now they are in the third tier. Especially if you have family/connections in Philadelphia go to Nova and stay there to pay off your debt. You don't want to be stuck in Syracuse after graduation without a great job and still decent debt. I went to 'Cuse undergrad and I actually think the city of Syracuse is fine but you are seriously limiting your options by choosing the Orange over Scottie Reynolds University.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:04 pm

You're gonna be in fairly serious debt anyway, so I would say go to Nova.

I faced a very similar situation between Syracuse costing me 35-40K and Pitt costing me 65-70K and went with Pitt.

Syracuse doesn't have much of a market that it owns. (Granted Nova has to share Philly, but it's a big market.)

Of course if you can hold off until Temple gives you an answer, going there would give you similar prospects as Nova for cheaper.

Good luck!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 am

2 votes for Cuse, any reason why? I'd be interested to here.

I also can live at home if I got to Villanova, and might do so for my 2L/3L

Return to “Choosing a Law School”