(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me choose!

Georgetown (60k)
37%
U Texas (applied to scholarship matching - no response yet)
5%
Vanderbilt (81k)
54%
Tulane (105k)
4%

Total votes: 57

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thickfreakness

Re: GULC, UT, Vandy, Tulane? Decision help needed!

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Vandy seems like a solid choice unless Texas matches and you'd rather live in Austin/practice in TX after graduation.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Just PM'd you actually. Vandy for sure. It beat all of those in NLJ250 hires this past year. It has smaller class size than Texas and GULC, which means you know people better, and also there's less competition from your classmates for jobs. Tulane shouldn't even be considered, as the other schools are worth the greater job prospects.

If you want to practice in Texas, go to Texas, but if you don't Vandy's the choice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Also, when I visited Vandy the people there were amazing. Everyone was genuine, nice, very happy to be at Vandy, and loved the school. It was so easy to meet people and make friends.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:39 pm

rad law wrote:Just PM'd you actually. Vandy for sure. It beat all of those in NLJ250 hires this past year. It has smaller class size than Texas and GULC, which means you know people better, and also there's less competition from your classmates for jobs. Tulane shouldn't even be considered, as the other schools are worth the greater job prospects.

If you want to practice in Texas, go to Texas, but if you don't Vandy's the choice.

TITCR

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:49 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Vandy seems like a solid choice unless Texas matches and you'd rather live in Austin/practice in TX after graduation.

What he said.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Vandy sounds absolutely perfect for you. I grew up in Nashville, and it's a great place. You have some great choices, but if I were in your shoes (and given your preferences), I'd definitely go to Vandy. Good luck on your decision!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:47 pm

PS some people must be just coming into the thread and voting for GULC just because it's the highest ranked. They neglect to mention that it has a lot of students, and I hear it's super competitive, which does not conform to your above criteria.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Some background:

You should put what the actual cost of tuition (or total COA) would be.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 am

superflush wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Some background:

You should put what the actual cost of tuition (or total COA) would be.

Great idea - thanks!

DEKOCARDS

Postby DEKOCARDS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 am

rad law wrote:PS some people must be just coming into the thread and voting for GULC just because it's the highest ranked. They neglect to mention that it has a lot of students, and I hear it's super competitive, which does not conform to your above criteria.

This is odd, because I'm a 2L at Georgetown and I don't know anyone who thinks that it's "super competitive." I have heard that Glenn Beck rapped and murdered a young girl in 1990, though. Any confirmation on that?

This site loves to trash Georgetown for it's size. We have an amazing selection of classes, clinics, and activities as a result of the size (not to mention an amazing assortment of world-class academics). I don't know that Georgetown is the right choice in this situation, given the preferences of the OP, but I do know that the above poster knows very little about Georgetown. I've found the environment incredibly collegial, supportive, and stimulating. People here are genuinely interested in creating a better legal environment, not simply plugging themselves into a Big Law firm. I do know many people here with stellar grades who are completely uninterested in the standard legal career (Actually most of my "hippy" law section, the Curriculum B).

My point is that I feel Georgetown offers a huge opportunity for a diverse legal education that closes very few doors. My preferences for my legal career have changed drastically since I was a 0L, and the comforting thing about Georgetown is that we have clinics and coursework catering to pretty much any of these areas. After I visited a few other peer schools, Vandy for instance, I realized they just could not offer the same options.

On the other hand, if you are sure that you want a Big Law job in the Southeast, definitely take the cheaper Vandy.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 pm

DEKOCARDS wrote:
rad law wrote:PS some people must be just coming into the thread and voting for GULC just because it's the highest ranked. They neglect to mention that it has a lot of students, and I hear it's super competitive, which does not conform to your above criteria.

This is odd, because I'm a 2L at Georgetown and I don't know anyone who thinks that it's "super competitive." I have heard that Glenn Beck rapped and murdered a young girl in 1990, though. Any confirmation on that?

This site loves to trash Georgetown for it's size. We have an amazing selection of classes, clinics, and activities as a result of the size (not to mention an amazing assortment of world-class academics). I don't know that Georgetown is the right choice in this situation, given the preferences of the OP, but I do know that the above poster knows very little about Georgetown. I've found the environment incredibly collegial, supportive, and stimulating. People here are genuinely interested in creating a better legal environment, not simply plugging themselves into a Big Law firm. I do know many people here with stellar grades who are completely uninterested in the standard legal career (Actually most of my "hippy" law section, the Curriculum B).

Several people (mainly 0Ls) I talked to who visited said it seemed pretty competitive. And several people (again, 0Ls) who I talked to thought the size was a little overwhelming. That's where I came up with that. I'm open to the possibility I'm misinformed.

PS I did find a Glenn Beck pseudo-rap video though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FRXE4i67pY&feature=related

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:Approximate COA per year:
GULC: 50,000
U Texas: 62,000 (without scholarship)
Vandy: 40,000
Tulane: 25,000

Tulane would be pretty cheap, (obviously this includes COL), but would limit you the most in terms of region. If you would be comfortable in New Orleans for your career, this would be a good option though.

Vandy would give you a bit more flexibility. How would you feel about going to school in Nashville. (I personally don't think I'd like it, so I would cross this off my list, but that is just me).

GULC would be a good option, although if you are certain about settling in the south, then I don't know if this will give you any benefit. This might already be factored into your figures, but the COL here is going to be the most expensive out of the four.

UT - So far, with no money, this is a pretty expensive option. As it stands now, it would probably only make sense if you absolutely wanted to work in Texas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”