Fighting Irish vs. Fighting Illini: A TLS Rumble/Poll Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Given my priorities, which should I choose?

Illinois w/ $60k (out-of-state)
14%
Notre Dame w/ $60k
86%

Total votes: 50

FunkyJD

Silver

Fighting Irish vs. Fighting Illini: A TLS Rumble/Poll

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm narrowing down my choices to my top 3 options, and I'm stuck trying to decide between UIUC and ND. (I only intend to drop a deposit on one school in the Midwest, so this is TLS Thunderdome -- two schools enter, one school leaves.)

My priorities for law school:

a) Ideal career outcome would be to become a corporate counsel for an energy firm or utility (nuclear energy or natural gas producer)
b) Want to minimize debt, including cost-of-living expenses
c) Would prefer some measure of portability ... to me, Texas/Southeast/Mid-Atlantic > Chicago ... but I am not opposed to beginning my career in Chicago
d) Want to have a fighting chance at a decent federal clerkship
e) Interested in regulatory law, so a good backup career would be to be a government attorney for a regulatory agency (FERC, NRC, etc)

Given scholarship amounts are for three years. No GPA stips.

Vote and help me decide which school shall be the victor. Provide reasons, as well.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: Fighting Irish vs. Fighting Illini: A TLS Rumble/Poll

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I'm narrowing down my choices to my top 3 options, and I'm stuck trying to decide between UIUC and ND. (I only intend to drop a deposit on one school in the Midwest, so this is TLS Thunderdome -- two schools enter, one school leaves.)

My priorities for law school:

a) Ideal career outcome would be to become a corporate counsel for an energy firm or utility (nuclear energy or natural gas producer)
b) Want to minimize debt, including cost-of-living expenses
c) Would prefer some measure of portability ... to me, Texas/Southeast/Mid-Atlantic > Chicago ... but I am not opposed to beginning my career in Chicago
d) Want to have a fighting chance at a decent federal clerkship
e) Interested in regulatory law, so a good backup career would be to be a government attorney for a regulatory agency (FERC, NRC, etc)

Given scholarship amounts are for three years. No GPA stips.

Vote and help me decide which school shall be the victor. Provide reasons, as well.
Go with ND and network like a mad(wo?)man. UIUC's going to limit you to Chicago, at least for the short term. I also feel like the ND alumni network would give you a better shot at a fed clerkship.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:Go with ND and network like a mad[strike](wo?)[/strike] man. UIUC's going to limit you to Chicago, at least for the short term. I also feel like the ND alumni network would give you a better shot at a fed clerkship.
Fixt. :D

Thanks for the advice. Others?

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm

The clear choice is ND! The portability of a degree from Notre Dame opens far more doors for you in the future. If you can't seem to make up your mind, perhaps you can try to weasel some money out of both to make your decision easier? I'd choose ND tho, good luck!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm

I think we have a winner. Posters are ratifying the choice that I've been leaning towards. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

ND for you. Congrats FunkyJD :).

(PS. SMU will come through for ya with UIUC/ND-worthy stats ;))

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:42 pm

I am from Illinois, I loved UIUC Law when I visited, and I am a lifelong Illini fan (Oskee-wow-wow!), but I am also going to vote ND. If UIUC had given you more money, I'd go with UIUC. But out-of-state tuition makes Illinois only marginally cheaper for you. Also, I would vote UIUC if you were more interested in Chicago, because I think Illinois is higher on the pecking order in Chicago. I think the difference in national alumni networks gives ND the edge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”