Wait List Acceptance - How Late is Too Late?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dp73816

Bronze

Wait List Acceptance - How Late is Too Late??

Post by dp73816 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 pm

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL

I am on a ton of WL's at this time for a number of schools ranked from T-20-52. I have already been accepted to Rutgers-Camden w/ scholarship, so as of right now-barring one of the said WL schools accepting me-that is where I will be attending. My question is how late is too late to accept a WL Acceptance from one of these schools?? What if it happens a day before school is about to start, and I already have an apartment? What do I do then? How does such a late switch in schools effect my financial aid?

Right now, I believe that such a dramatic change in plans would only be viable if there was a massive gain in ranking, or a decrease in overall tuition and COL. That leaves Vandy, ND, and UNC (in-state) as the only schools where I would drop everything and attend, no matter how close to the first day of class. Is this wrong?

I would really appreciate if someone with some experience in late-cycle acceptances could give me some advice. Simply hopping in the car and driving to Indiana w/o a plan seems scary, so I'd like to have some reassurance that it is actually a viable plan. Thank you!

nowinGA

Bronze

Re: Wait List Acceptance - How Late is Too Late??

Post by nowinGA » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Depends on you.

My sister's good friend was on the WL at his dream school and had to decide to go somewhere else when he didn't get in. He put down tuition deposits, housing deposit, moved into an apartment, etc.

A few days before classes start he got a call from his dream school with a spot for him.

He ate all of those deposits, packed up, and moved across the country.

You do what you gotta do!

kurla88

Bronze

Re: Wait List Acceptance - How Late is Too Late??

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

nowinGA wrote:Depends on you.

My sister's good friend was on the WL at his dream school and had to decide to go somewhere else when he didn't get in. He put down tuition deposits, housing deposit, moved into an apartment, etc.

A few days before classes start he got a call from his dream school with a spot for him.

He ate all of those deposits, packed up, and moved across the country.

You do what you gotta do!
+1, have heard this story about someone at my school. It's all on you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”