How long do most schools give you to decide? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gold537en

New

How long do most schools give you to decide?

Post by gold537en » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I've been a long time loiterer and have found this forum to be an indispensable resource! I did a search but couldn't find an answer to the following question (I apologize if it's been asked before):

Once you have been accepted to a school, how long do you have to make a decision?

I am planning on applying early in the cycle for Fall 2011 and I'm trying to figure out the logistics since I will be relocating with my girlfriend who is an actuary (which means that her job prospects are for the most part limited to cities). I am most likely going to be applying to Cornell and if I get in there and no other T14's I was wondering how much time my girlfriend would have to find a job in Western New York before I have to make any commitments.

Thanks!

Eric_Arthur_Blair

New

Re: How long do most schools give you to decide?

Post by Eric_Arthur_Blair » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:44 pm

I think there are two deadlines. The first often varies depending on the school between April 1st or April 15th (or around then)... after that, I am not sure. If you apply early enough I think you should expect to hear back by then. I applied late, and I called some schools that said it could be as late as the "seconds" deadline which also varies. If your numbers fit the school, you should hear by April at the latest... if your on the bubble and apply later, you could either meet the second deadline or be waitlisted. If you're waitlisted, you're in limbo up until the first day of class in some cases.

It would be best to call the schools if you're really curious, but the best advice is to apply as early as possible.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm

The first deposit deadline is usually between April 1 and May 1, depending on the school. (Cornell's deadline is April 16 this year.) If you apply early on, you will almost always hear back well before this date--although Cornell is notoriously slow.

Also, many deposits are not actually binding, although you will lose a substantial chunk of the money you put down (usually $400-600) if you choose to attend a different school. Read the fine print of each school at which you consider a deposit.

gold537en

New

Post by gold537en » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:01 am

I'm planning on having my apps ready to go as soon as they are accepted. Assuming a 12 week turn around in hearing from schools, I should hopefully have 2-3 months to decide.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”