Part-time student - to save money. What about opportunities? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Great Satchmo

Silver

Part-time student - to save money. What about opportunities?

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm starting to consider the part-time sections of schools that I've been admitted to full-time.

I wouldn't want to work full-time outside of class. I'd be more interested in finding a job that is relevant to a career in law part time, more of the networking and career development, but also to save money.

My questions are: what jobs are there that accomplish this, and to what extent does this limit other opportunities in law school?

BruinsFan

Bronze

Re: Part-time student - to save money. What about opportunities?

Post by BruinsFan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 pm

It's cool, it's cool. I know you like my idea ;-) Although, I realize you probably want someone else's opinion.

and you also know I'll probably respond to any TLS thread that involves going part time.

The jobs I'm looking into are 1. part time legal assistant/receptionist type work. Many solo practitioners and small firms have this type of opening. I've actually been keeping a list of all the firms who advertise for part time positions in craigslist. Hoping that I can circle back in August. 2. Internships that I might be able to get though the university. Most law students can't intern during the semester, but I'm sure places need them. The bigger question here is whether or not it'll be paid 3. Law staffing places. While I may have to work full time some days, you can choose when you want work. Plus you'll be free to study abroad or take a summer position without have to "quit" a job. Also, you'll probably get to meet a lot of lawyers and see what a lot of different firms are like

Also, I think if you take all night classes it can definitely interfere with extra curricular opps, because the day students will probably want to meet at night. Keep in mind that 2L you can be part time, but still take classes during the day as long as you stay under the credit limit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”