Harvard or Yale- For work outside Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Yale
48%
Harvard
52%

Total votes: 71

elmagic

New

Harvard or Yale- For work outside Law

Post by elmagic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:45 am

So up until a few days ago I was pretty set on Yale, because well, Yale is Yale. However after talking to people, mostly friends of the family and such, I have been mulling over the idea of Harvard.

I have an undergrad/masters degree in economics, and have been working abroad in finance/consulting for the last year or so. Consulting is definitely not my thing long term, but I definitely want to stay involved in finance. I know a lot of you will probably suggest I pursue an MBA, but at this point that doesn't really interest me, nor do I have the work experience necessary.

So here is my point, a relative of mine who is well involved in the legal field, and also the field I am looking to get into suggests that Yale is pretty much the end all if I want to reach the most prestigious levels of the legal field, but Harvard will get you to the most prestigious levels of the field. As a Harvard guy he is definitely biased though.

I'd also add that eventually I'd be interested in becoming involved in politics.

So given my goals is there a wrong choice here?
Last edited by elmagic on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TransferQ

New

Re: Harvard or Yale- For work outside Law

Post by TransferQ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:58 am

Check which finance institutions interview at the schools (probably the same). In which case, go with Yale b/c less competition for the slots. Or, you might have to start off at a V5 NY firm and lateral...in which case Yale gives you the best shot to get into a V5.

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 pm

TransferQ wrote:Check which finance institutions interview at the schools (probably the same). In which case, go with Yale b/c less competition for the slots. Or, you might have to start off at a V5 NY firm and lateral...in which case Yale gives you the best shot to get into a V5.
That's kind of my point. Which of these schools will get me in the door, without having to go the firm path.

Looks like Harvard is leading the poll anyone care to give an opinion why?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Blatant anti-Yale trolling.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 pm

It isn't trolling to point out that polls suggest Harvard has the most prestige (I am not saying Yale isn't great). As far as opportunities, sure Yale might beat them by a little right off the bat, but I think (uneducated guess though) the increased lay prestige is beneficial when you move away from law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 pm

No need to go to Harvard or Yale. Just move to Tijuana if you want to work outside the law.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Cant really go wrong at either. sure if you want finance, harvards name is great, but so is Yale Law and you arent getting an MBA. As long as you show you know what you are talking about in Finance, both will give you ample opportunity to get your foot in the door. Going to law school though, for a job in fiance, strikes me as odd. Firms dont recruit for jobs in finance at law schools, even harvard and yale. The best way to break into high finance after law school is to do corporate law at firms that represent these high profit financial entities (Wachtell, Cravath, Skaddan, etc), at least this is what ive heard. Make connections to the businesses that you would want to work with and go from tehre. Former CFO of Lehman did this, and out of NYU. So im pretty sure there is not going to be a huge difference between yale law and harvard law for you. Only reason it might make a difference is that Goldmans CEO = harvard law, JP Morgans CEO = Harvard MBA, so the two biggest fish in the financial world are Harvard grads. Doesnt matter, go where you feel youll be happiest

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:29 pm

I think you are splitting hairs. I would say go to Yale as you will likely enjoy your three years there more and I think you will have less competition for the type of job you need to get to go this way.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 pm

adameus wrote:I think you are splitting hairs. I would say go to Yale as you will likely enjoy your three years there more and I think you will have less competition for the type of job you need to get to go this way.
Credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm

I think the people who have answered the poll for Harvard are on crack.

Don't forget about Yale's exceedingly generous LRAP. Yale will also likely be a much more pleasant academic experience. Plus, you haven't yet started law school. You don't KNOW that you won't be practicing as a lawyer. You might end up loving legal work.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

nealric wrote:I think the people who have answered the poll for Harvard are on crack.

Don't forget about Yale's exceedingly generous LRAP. Yale will also likely be a much more pleasant academic experience. Plus, you haven't yet started law school. You don't KNOW that you won't be practicing as a lawyer. You might end up loving legal work.

is LRAP even relevant if the OP is planning on going to finance?

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

nealric wrote:I think the people who have answered the poll for Harvard are on crack.

Yale's LRAP is great, but I doubt I'll be using it. I am not trying to sound all uppity but, I have prior connections, in finance/i-banking/consulting, and work experience in this field, so I will most likely head in this direction out of law school. But you are right Yale does seem like a much more pleasant experience because of the lack of grades, but it also worries me a bit because although Harvard doesn't have normal grades, there are ways to distinguish yourself from your classmates which seems quite important at this stage.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 pm

elmagic wrote:

Yale's LRAP is great, but I doubt I'll be using it. I am not trying to sound all uppity but, I have prior connections, in finance/i-banking/consulting, and work experience in this field, so I will most likely head in this direction out of law school. But you are right Yale does seem like a much more pleasant experience because of the lack of grades, but it also worries me a bit because although Harvard doesn't have normal grades, there are ways to distinguish yourself from your classmates which seems quite important at this stage.
Yes there are ways to distinguish yourself both in a good way and a bad way at Harvard. You can hedge your risk and just realize that you'll look damn good coming out of Yale regardless. What do you think you are going to gain out of 3 years in law school if you are planning on finance? I am not saying that you won't gain anything, I am just curious as to what your reasoning is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 pm

I voted Yale (more enjoyable 3 years competition wise)...but with ur background, either school will open doors...Now if you got a JD/MBA from Harvard that would be the best solution.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:15 pm

elmagic wrote: I have an undergrad/masters degree in economics, and have been working abroad in finance/consulting for the last year or so. Consulting is definitely not my thing long term, but I definitely want to stay involved in finance. I know a lot of you will probably suggest I pursue an MBA, but at this point that doesn't really interest me, nor do I have the work experience necessary.
1. Congratulations on doing really well up to this point.
2. Do Not Go To Law School Unless You Want To Be a Lawyer.
3. Unless you are going to Harvard/Yale for free, this is a piss poor idea. The reason why those institutions are great is that they set you up to be an incredibly good lawyer. They will not prepare you to do work outside law. They will add minimally at best to a nonlegal resume.

dwoof

New

Post by dwoof » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 pm

President Obama went to Harvard. President Clinton went to Yale. I believe both schools will open the same doors.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Simpler Times wrote: 1. Congratulations on doing really well up to this point.
3. Unless you are going to Harvard/Yale for free, this is a piss poor idea. The reason why those institutions are great is that they set you up to be an incredibly good lawyer. They will not prepare you to do work outside law. They will add minimally at best to a nonlegal resume.
A lot of prominent businessmen have J.D.s, as do many politicians (OP expressed interest in politics). Having a J.D. from Harvard or Yale will, IMO, ad a lot to one's resume. That being said, I'm not sure that pursuing a J.D. is a great idea if you want to end up in finance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:30 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
A lot of prominent businessmen have J.D.s, as do many politicians (OP expressed interest in politics). Having a J.D. from Harvard or Yale will, IMO, ad a lot to one's resume. That being said, I'm not sure that pursuing a J.D. is a great idea if you want to end up in finance.
Why not work for one more year and then do a Harvard MBA?

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:32 pm

adameus wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Why not work for one more year and then do a Harvard MBA?
Appreciate all the input in this thread.

I understand that law school may seem like a poor idea given my goals, but I'd just like emphasize that I am not really talking about any law school. From the very outset, I decided that given my goals and credentials it would be a bad idea to go to a law school that would limit me to a career in law.

As someone else mentioned, many people have law degrees and work outside the legal field. It's not that I don't want to be a lawyer, it's just that making a steady income and being a lawyer isn't the end all for me. I want a degree that will not only be quite useful in the legal field as are both Yale and Harvard, but that will carry weight beyond law so as not to limit my options down the road.

At this point these are my current options, and although I wont forgo the idea of a Harvard MBA in the future (assuming I am lucky enough to be admitted,) one of these two is the next step.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 pm

well, good luck where ever you end up!

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:04 am

Why do you want to go to law school? I don't understand. Do you just want to put it on a resume?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:11 am

I second the donkey, OP isn't going to either, he's going to Tijuana.

learnedhand111

New

Post by learnedhand111 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 pm

I go to Yale, so I'm a bit biased, but I think you'd be crazy not to come here. About 1/3 of the people who graduate from Yale do something that has nothing to do with law. In fact, after your first semester, you can never take a black letter class again. You should also consider the 3 year JD/MBA (unless you have an MBA--I forget). I know a lot of people doing that, because, hey, why not? Plus, Yale is just a really fun and relatively stress-free place to do law school. Write me if you want to talk more about your decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”