Anybody at Michigan now regretting it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zanyventer

New

Anybody at Michigan now regretting it?

Post by zanyventer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:56 am

Please explain.

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: Anybody at Michigan now regretting it?

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

i guess thats a no

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 am

sophia.olive wrote:i guess thats a no
Really? You're only going to give OP two minutes?

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 am

Maybe give it more than two minutes....?

That being said, I would think you could find at least a few people at every law school that regret going. However, everybody I have talked to that goes to Michigan loves it.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 am

Halibut6 wrote:
i guess not

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zanyventer

New

Post by zanyventer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Maybe give it more than two minutes....?

That being said, I would think you could find at least a few people at every law school that regret going. However, everybody I have talked to that goes to Michigan loves it.
i guess this is the correct answer

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am

I like the responses so far, but let's change the question to, "anybody paying full price at Michigan now regretting it?" This is what I'd like to know.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 am

sophia.olive wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
i guess not
--ImageRemoved--

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 am

doinmybest wrote:I like the responses so far, but let's change the question to, "anybody paying full price at Michigan now regretting it?" This is what I'd like to know.
I am sure there are at least a few people, but good luck getting any of them to admit it on here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am

Bosque wrote:
doinmybest wrote:I like the responses so far, but let's change the question to, "anybody paying full price at Michigan now regretting it?" This is what I'd like to know.
I am sure there are at least a few people, but good luck getting any of them to admit it on here.
Classy.

I'm trying to think what would compel me to go into a Duke thread and write something like that. I can't really think of anything.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am

Haha, Bosque is a Duke troll, but they need something. Michigan has a million (!), but I am sure there are people at both schools who regret it. However, if you are a candidate qualified to get into Mich or Duke, you probably had the choice among a few schools, increasing your likelihood of being happy.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:08 pm

zanyventer wrote:Please explain.
I would assume anybody below median that paid full/close to full price...but that's not really restricted to Michigan, just replace "median" with corresponding rank necessary to have a shot at recouping on your investment, and you'll find the unhappy people.

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Of course there are people who regret it, but that probably has less to do with michigan and more to do with just generally regretting going to law school. I am a 2L and know a fair amount of people who would not go to law school at all if they had a reset button, but I don't know anybody who specifically regrets going to Michigan over, say, Penn or Virginia for example. I am sure they exist, no school is perfect.

Your success is going to depend a lot more on what you are capable of than on which school you pick assuming you are looking at the same tier of options (MVP/CCN/HYS). Unless you have a very strong aversion to cold weather and mid sized college towns then there is relatively little difference between Michigan and any of the other mid/lower T14 schools as far as exit opportunities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Classy.

I'm trying to think what would compel me to go into a Duke thread and write something like that. I can't really think of anything.
Uh.... the exact same thing is true for Duke. And Chicago. And Stanford. And probably even Yale.

I would put money down that at every single law scool their are at least a handful of students who regret the decision. But the chances of you finding one of them who are willing to admit it (even to themselves), let alone admit it on here where they are going to get blasted by their classmates and 0Ls alike, is very small.

How exactly is any part of what I said trolling?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Bosque wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Classy.

Uh.... the exact same thing is true for Duke. And Chicago. And Stanford. And probably even Yale.

I would put money down that at every single law scool their are at least a handful of students who regret the decision. But the chances of you finding one of them who are willing to admit it (even to themselves), let alone admit it on here where they are going to get blasted by their classmates and 0Ls alike, is very small.

+1. Good luck finding someone who just bought a $2,000 TV to admit that it is a piece of shit. Now change that to a $120,000 degree.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Classy.

I'm definitely not anti-Michigan trolling. The reason I asked this is because I am thinking about Michigan but it would most likely be at full-price.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 am

:D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 am

I talked to a NYU 2L who had transferred there from Michigan, and here were the negatives he mentioned about going there:

-Ann Arbor. Limited cultural opportunities, full of drunk college students, remote location, exclusive LGBT student group. He pointed out that these things could be true about any law school in a rural location, in comparison to the opportunities in a large city.
-Tight knit law school community, which could definitely be a strong positive for a lot of people, but if you like your space and separate life from law school, maybe not so much.
-Weather. Snow in May right before exams.

But he also did say he loved his 1L. These are all things I was told. I don't have an opinion on Michigan since I've never been there. HTH.

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm guessing about 50% of 2Ls at almost every T14 regret their decision right now.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm

I would like to know this too. Actually for that matter, anybody who pays sticker/close to sticker at T-14 (or I guess T6-T14). I just want to know: is it worth $100,000 debt? Are students getting jobs/interns? The impression I got from the employment forum is that bottom half of T-14 students can't find anything decent (like a $80k job); they even have to chase those 50k ones. Not that 50k jobs are bad, but it's very hard to live on when you have to pay back 100k student loan. Plus, I already have a job that pays 50k, I don't want to take out that big of loan just so I can end up where I am right now three years later.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Exactly. I don't want to know about people regretting it because of weather or some nampy pampy reason. I want to hear the side that you normally don't get a) 2L/3L/recent grad (instead of the prevalent 0L speculation) b) who took out the full cost in loans. I want to hear what they have to say about whether or not that was a good idea.

Of course you can find people who regret their decision at any school, but the fact that they exist everywhere doesn't devalue at least hearing their perspective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Rock of Love wrote:I talked to a NYU 2L who had transferred there from Michigan, and here were the negatives he mentioned about going there:

-Ann Arbor. Limited cultural opportunities, full of drunk college students, remote location, exclusive LGBT student group. He pointed out that these things could be true about any law school in a rural location, in comparison to the opportunities in a large city.
-Tight knit law school community, which could definitely be a strong positive for a lot of people, but if you like your space and separate life from law school, maybe not so much.

But he also did say he loved his 1L. These are all things I was told. I don't have an opinion on Michigan since I've never been there. HTH.
Ann Arbor is definitely, definitely not rural.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 pm

doinmybest wrote: I'm definitely not anti-Michigan trolling. The reason I asked this is because I am thinking about Michigan but it would most likely be at full-price.
Don't worry at all, that's a completely legitimate question. I was only speaking to Bosque's comment, so worry not. I don't have an answer for you since I was very fortunate to receive a little help from the school and I absolutely love it, but I'm sure that there are some students Michigan that aren't particularly happy with their choice. But, as was pointed out, it may be tough to discern whether that's unhappiness with the school itself or with law school in general.

Rock of Love wrote:I talked to a NYU 2L who had transferred there from Michigan, and here were the negatives he mentioned about going there:

From what you've said with the 2L, NYU and LGBT issues, you probably spoke to the infamous EmmyD from here on TLS. I got the chance to meet him last year at ASW, and though a rather nice individual, he didn't feel Michigan was a particularly great fit for him. He transferred to NYU this year, and from what I've heard from my friends here who still talk to him, he isn't exactly in love with the experience there either.

Bosque wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Classy.

It's interesting that I never disputed any of the above in what I wrote, so it leaves me to believe that you've realized how your initial response comes across to others. It's easy to pretend like you're being objective when you come out and write what you did the second time, but why didn't you say that each school would probably have some dissatisfied students in the first place? Instead what you wrote was a sort of back-handed jab at the honesty of the students posting here for their school. It was subtle and sly enough that people may not have caught on to it initially, but you know exactly how what you wrote comes across.

Like I said, I cannot think of what would prompt me to come into a Duke thread asking whether people were regretting their decision and respond with, "Oh I'm sure, but I guarantee that none of them would ever admit that here." You and I both know exactly how that would sound if you went and read that, and I also know that no part of me feels insecure enough about my school to ever feel the urge to write something like that in a Duke thread. There's really nothing more to be discussed here, since I think how you entered this thread speaks quite clearly for itself.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:wahhhh
omg, shut up already. don't ruin this potentially useful thread with your bitchiness

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote: Stuff
Please, just stop. You are tilting at windmills. I didn't even care what the name of the law school was when I posted the first time, I was just remarking on the impossibility of finding someone to admit buyers remorse about a law school while they are still enrolled. I have nothing against you or Michigan-I actually like all the Michiganians I have met in real life. So please stop projecting onto me, or whatever it is you are doing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”