Chicago vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crackberry

Gold

Re: Chicago vs. NYU

Post by crackberry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 am

ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Ranovr — you and I are, and will always remain, mortal enemies.

Also sorry I missed out on this thread for the last couple of hours. I was too busy trying to sort out an issue with my trust fund.
This is what I like to hear...

Hopefully I get into Harvard, then it can get real. Besides everyone knows Stanford is for west coast kids who couldn't get in......
I'm an East Coast kid who did get in to Harvard (UG) and happily turned it down for the California sunshine. hth

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 am

crackberry wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Ranovr — you and I are, and will always remain, mortal enemies.

Also sorry I missed out on this thread for the last couple of hours. I was too busy trying to sort out an issue with my trust fund.

Hopefully I get into Harvard, then it can get real. Besides everyone knows Stanford is for west coast kids who couldn't get in......
I'm an East Coast kid who did get in to Harvard (UG) and happily turned it down for the California sunshine. hth
Biggest mistake of your life :lol:

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 am

Not gonna lie I was just epicly owned

Touche, until next time

Harvard is still better.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 am

Stanford > Harvard. HTH.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:50 am

rayiner wrote:Stanford > Harvard. HTH.
What does HTH mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 am

ranovr32 wrote:
rayiner wrote:Stanford > Harvard. HTH.
What does HTH mean?
"Hope this helps"

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 am

I never knew what hth stood for, but I always assumed, given its use around here, that it was something really disrespectful.

I am now incredibly dissapointed.

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm

If you go to NYU, make sure to watch out for all the trolls. However, both schools are good.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

wow it seems any thread on here longer than 2 pages gets hijacked by people talking about vaguely related issues and crackberry coming in to whore/troll for Stanford. I don't think crack even has a friend who was considering between Chi and NYU, he just wanted to have a reason to come in here and weasel in some Stanford trolling :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I never knew what hth stood for, but I always assumed, given its use around here, that it was something really disrespectful.

I am now incredibly dissapointed.
To be fair, it is usually used as a sarcastic form of disrespect. Actually, I'm not sure if "disrespect" is the right word, but it's usually used as a point of emphasis, like "I'm right. You're wrong." At least that's the way I use it and have usually seen it used.
adameus wrote:I don't think crack even has a friend who was considering between Chi and NYU, he just wanted to have a reason to come in here and weasel in some Stanford trolling :P
To be fair, I do have a friend making this choice. He's basically dead set on NYU (would much much rather live in NYC than Chicago) though, so it's not really a "choice," I guess.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, crack, that was a very honest response. Go back to your Stanford trolling :)

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

It's probably way too late to get this thread back on topic. But, does anyone have convincing numbers to show that NYU places better in NYC than Chicago? Or, for that matter that Chicago places better in the Chicago market than NYU? I can see the advantage of having strong connections to your market once it comes to graduating, since you will know a lot of people there. However, I am not sure about NYU actually being preferred by NYC firms (or at least the top NYC firms)? After looking through this site, http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/, the answer is not clear. I could see firms being more willing to give out callbacks if you are already in NYC, but I'm not sure if that would really apply to the top firms either.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

hiro86 wrote:It's probably way too late to get this thread back on topic. But, does anyone have convincing numbers to show that NYU places better in NYC than Chicago? Or, for that matter that Chicago places better in the Chicago market than NYU? I can see the advantage of having strong connections to your market once it comes to graduating, since you will know a lot of people there. However, I am not sure about NYU actually being preferred by NYC firms (or at least the top NYC firms)? After looking through this site, http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/, the answer is not clear. I could see firms being more willing to give out callbacks if you are already in NYC, but I'm not sure if that would really apply to the top firms either.
I honestly think this is pretty inconclusive, but it should be noted if you add all those Chicago numbers up in the v20 then divide by 200 you get a pretty damn good shot at ending up at one of those baller firms. Do the same thing for NYU but divide by 20384985 +2 and you have less of an opportunity

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:07 am

crackberry wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

i'm sure this is the exception to the rule. harvard is undisputed king of the UG world, and i'd be shocked if there's any school they don't outperform in terms of getting cross-admits to enroll

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 am

Lmao Zedong wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'm an East Coast kid who did get in to Harvard (UG) and happily turned it down for the California sunshine. hth
i'm sure this is the exception to the rule. harvard is undisputed king of the UG world, and i'd be shocked if there's any school they don't outperform in terms of getting cross-admits to enroll
Yes, you're probably right, but I wanted to get the hell away from the East Coast. Everyone I knew who went to Harvard was a stuck-up NYC prep school/elite East Coast boarding school grad. Wasn't for me. Sure, those kinds of people exist at Stanford for sure, but in far fewer numbers than HYP.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 am

hiro86 wrote:It's probably way too late to get this thread back on topic. But, does anyone have convincing numbers to show that NYU places better in NYC than Chicago? Or, for that matter that Chicago places better in the Chicago market than NYU? I can see the advantage of having strong connections to your market once it comes to graduating, since you will know a lot of people there. However, I am not sure about NYU actually being preferred by NYC firms (or at least the top NYC firms)? After looking through this site, http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/, the answer is not clear. I could see firms being more willing to give out callbacks if you are already in NYC, but I'm not sure if that would really apply to the top firms either.
The problem is self-selection makes all these exalted firm statistics kind of useless when determining whether similarly-ranked schools are better in various regions. The answer will never be clear. If you visited both, and you should considering you'll be spending three years of your life there, you won't need to go online to make a decision between the two.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 pm

crackberry wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'm an East Coast kid who did get in to Harvard (UG) and happily turned it down for the California sunshine. hth
Yes, you're probably right, but I wanted to get the hell away from the East Coast. Everyone I knew who went to Harvard was a stuck-up NYC prep school/elite East Coast boarding school grad. Wasn't for me. Sure, those kinds of people exist at Stanford for sure, but in far fewer numbers than HYP.
Uh crack, not to ruin the party, but I think you might want to reread your resume...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 am

princeton ug > harvard ug

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:03 am

badfish wrote:princeton ug > harvard ug
tbf neither one of those matter unless you want to get a job with a liberal arts degree and not to go graduate / professional school.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 am

Kronk wrote:
tbf neither one of those matter unless you want to get a job with a liberal arts degree and not to go graduate / professional school.
generally that's true with the caveat of i-banking which isn't your typical "liberal arts degree" job but is certainly a "liberal arts degree" job

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
Uh crack, not to ruin the party, but I think you might want to reread your resume...
Tell me, Mr. Kronk, how strong is your desire to hang around Fontana natives for the rest of your life?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am

Maybe, but Harvard Law > Princeton Law. :)

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

From the admitted students chat for Chicago with their Associate Dean for Career Services, Abbie Willard:
"<DeanWillard> We know that approximately 80% of our 2Ls have accepted positions with frims that interviewed here last fall. We also know that of the 20% who are still seeking, many of them are holding out for public interest, government positions, and fellowships that come in later in the spring."

If true, that's pretty damn good.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:31 pm

hiro86 wrote:From the admitted students chat for Chicago with their Associate Dean for Career Services, Abbie Willard:
"<DeanWillard> We know that approximately 80% of our 2Ls have accepted positions with frims that interviewed here last fall. We also know that of the 20% who are still seeking, many of them are holding out for public interest, government positions, and fellowships that come in later in the spring."

It is true. They have 72% of 2Ls in V50 firms alone according to their office.

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Kronk wrote:
hiro86 wrote:From the admitted students chat for Chicago with their Associate Dean for Career Services, Abbie Willard:

It is true. They have 72% of 2Ls in V50 firms alone according to their office.
Did you get that information by contacting their career services? If so, any other info you can share? I would also be very interested in hearing numbers like these for the other T14s if people have them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”