UC Berkeley in decline?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm

I've heard from several different people, some of them just other 0L's, but also a well accomplished law professor I know, seem to be of the mind that Berkeley is a school in decline. Not to suggest it's anywhere near a TTT shit school, but simply that it's rank at #6 is inflated, and it really belongs more towards the bottom of the T14. I was just kind of curious what people on TLS thought about it, if this was an opinion that is widespread out there, and if there's any justification for it. I've heard a lot of this speculation especially in regards to the UC system budget crisis. I'm just gonna set this one loose and see if people feel like commenting.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 pm


09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Overratd, but not in decline.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby pearl_earrings » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:43 pm

.
Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Overratd, but not in decline.


I am curious why people feel this way. They do well in the rankings but I get the impression a lot of people on this board find Boalt to be overrated. I hear its just the bees knees when it comes to IP law. Anyone care to elaborate on why Boalt is overrated?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Doritos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Overratd, but not in decline.


I am curious why people feel this way. They do well in the rankings but I get the impression a lot of people on this board find Boalt to be overrated. I hear its just the bees knees when it comes to IP law. Anyone care to elaborate on why Boalt is overrated?


It places like MVP in big law and clerkships.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Overratd, but not in decline.


I am curious why people feel this way. They do well in the rankings but I get the impression a lot of people on this board find Boalt to be overrated. I hear its just the bees knees when it comes to IP law. Anyone care to elaborate on why Boalt is overrated?


It places like MVP in big law and clerkships.


Ah, I see. It always seems people throw around HYS, CCN, MVP regularly but B always seems left out. You think B fits better in the MVP category that the CCN one.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Doritos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Overratd, but not in decline.


I am curious why people feel this way. They do well in the rankings but I get the impression a lot of people on this board find Boalt to be overrated. I hear its just the bees knees when it comes to IP law. Anyone care to elaborate on why Boalt is overrated?


It places like MVP in big law and clerkships.


Ah, I see. It always seems people throw around HYS, CCN, MVP regularly but B always seems left out. You think B fits better in the MVP category that the CCN one.


Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Overratd, but not in decline.


I second. I just don't see Berkeley (at least not this year) falling to the ranks of Michigan and Penn. However, the fact that out-of-state tuition and Berkeley next year may ultimately exceed the tuition of any other T14's is concerning.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

I personally feel the T14 tiers are
HYS
C
CNMVPBDNGC

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 am

^Purest idiocy.

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 4910 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am

is that chicago or columbia by itself? and why did you do that?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:20 am

4910 wrote:is that chicago or columbia by itself? and why did you do that?


I bet dollars to donuts its Columbia.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am

Doritos wrote:
4910 wrote:is that chicago or columbia by itself? and why did you do that?


I bet dollars to donuts its Columbia.


I know he is trolling.

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 4910 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:24 am

maybe he goes to columbia

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Tofu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 am

if he puts C by itself, then he probably means chicago

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:35 am

Tofu wrote:if he puts C by itself, then he probably means chicago


Really? I always thought the consensus was that Columbia was the best of the CCN group. I'm not saying I believe that just that if someone on this board were to single out one of that group to be superior I figured it would be Columbia

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:36 am

Tofu wrote:if he puts C by itself, then he probably means chicago


it sure as hell ain't cornell

User avatar
McNabb
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby McNabb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:42 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

I personally feel the T14 tiers are
HYS
C
CNMVPBDNGC


HYS
CC
NMBVp
DN
GC

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 am

McNabb wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

I personally feel the T14 tiers are
HYS
C
CNMVPBDNGC


HYS
CC
NMBVp
DN
GC


YH
S
CC
N
MBVPDNC
G

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby lawduder » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 am

Y
TTT

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
McNabb wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

I personally feel the T14 tiers are
HYS
C
CNMVPBDNGC


HYS
CC
NMBVp
DN
GC


YH
S
CC
N
MBVPDNC
G


RE
S
PE
C
TFIND
OU
T
WHATITMEANSTOME.....

Err, sorry, I think I'm doing it wrong.

With that said, I agree with the title of this thread b/c B rejected me - definitely in decline.

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby 4910 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 am

lawduder wrote:Y
TTT


lol funny guy

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Doritos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 am

And here I thought a JD was a JD no matter where it came from...

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 am

amputatedbrain wrote:I've heard from several different people, some of them just other 0L's, but also a well accomplished law professor I know, seem to be of the mind that Berkeley is a school in decline.

What was the argument of the law professor? I assume he had reasons for his claim that Berkeley is "in decline."




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest