Loyola Chicago ($$) v Indiana Bloomington ($) v Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Loyola w/ $20,000 per year
47%
Indiana w/ $10,000 per year
47%
Iowa
6%

Total votes: 49

traehekat

Loyola Chicago ($$) v Indiana Bloomington ($) v Iowa

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 am

For Chicago, which would be a better choice? How important would you wage actually being in the city is versus going to a higher ranked school in another Midwestern state?

Undergradut

Re: Loyola Chicago ($$) v Indiana Bloomington ($) v Iowa

Postby Undergradut » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 am

I voted Loyola.

It's cheapest by a significant amount.

Wouldn't you have to have a similarly high class rank from any of these schools if you're going to get Chicago big law?

If your class rank is not high enough to merit Chicago big law consideration, wouldn't the Loyola alumni network within Chicago be to your advantage?

In my uninformed opinion, I thought: (1) yes and (2) yes.
Last edited by Undergradut on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 am

Indiana will match the shit out of that Loyola scholly. Ask them.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Bankhead wrote:Indiana will match the shit out of that Loyola scholly. Ask them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
He's right though. They will. And my answer will then be IUB.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Nice to know they will most likely match, thanks everyone. If this ends up being the case, IUB will look pretty good.

the_assassin

Postby the_assassin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

If IUB does match, leverage that IUB $$ with Loyola for more. Who knows, you could then potentially leverage that $$$ again with IUB.

algren

Postby algren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Good call on asking for a match.

Regardless of that, IUB. You'd be coming from a top 25 into the market which should beat out Loyola.

Even better for Chicago: Illinois.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 am

In all reality, IU will likely not be a top-25 for too long, but it will probably always be higher than Loyola.

I agree that if IU will match your Loyola scholarship, you should go there. But Loyola's not a bad choice if you know you want to practice in Chicago. I am sure they have a pretty nice alumni network within the city.

Also, Illinois has been pretty stingy this cycle with money, compared to peer schools. Indiana with a 20k/year scholarship>Illinois sticker ITE, even for Chicago, unless you happen to be an Illinois resident. Even then, it's still a toss up.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Halibut6 wrote:In all reality, IU will likely not be a top-25 for too long, but it will probably always be higher than Loyola.

I agree that if IU will match your Loyola scholarship, you should go there. But Loyola's not a bad choice if you know you want to practice in Chicago. I am sure they have a pretty nice alumni network within the city.

Also, Illinois has been pretty stingy this cycle with money, compared to peer schools. Indiana with a 20k/year scholarship>Illinois sticker ITE, even for Chicago, unless you happen to be an Illinois resident. Even then, it's still a toss up.

I disagree. UIUC>IUB any day. True, Illinois residents get an awesome deal. But if that were the case, it would not be a tossup. As for the question asked by the OP, I would vote Loyola if you are sure you will stay in Chicago. Very good reputation in the city, and significantly higher average starting salary versus comparable Chicago law schools (DePaul and Kent). Haven't seen the data on how LUC compares to IUB salary-wise (anyone?). How come no one is talking about Iowa at sticker?...

Also, if you have the choice between Bloomington, Indiana, and fucking CHICAGO...

jelly

Postby jelly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:10 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:In all reality, IU will likely not be a top-25 for too long, but it will probably always be higher than Loyola.

I disagree. UIUC>IUB any day. True, Illinois residents get an awesome deal. But if that were the case, it would not be a tossup. As for the question asked by the OP, I would vote Loyola if you are sure you will stay in Chicago. Very good reputation in the city, and significantly higher average starting salary versus comparable Chicago law schools (DePaul and Kent). Haven't seen the data on how LUC compares to IUB salary-wise (anyone?). How come no one is talking about Iowa at sticker?...

Also, if you have the choice between Bloomington, Indiana, and fucking CHICAGO...

Actually, the average starting salary of Loyola and Kent grads is comparable.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 pm

IU-B's employment stats are underwhleming.
Loy-Chi's a pleasant surprise.

I voted for Loyola-Chi regardless of IU-B's matching because of Loyola's proximity to the Chicago market and IU-B's piss-poor no show on the NLJ list.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm

traehekat wrote:For Chicago, which would be a better choice? How important would you wage actually being in the city is versus going to a higher ranked school in another Midwestern state?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Loyola Chicago all the way!! IUB is overranked!!! In terms of big law placement, it`s a TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”