Withdraw from T2 apps?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Withdraw from T2 apps?

Postby taw856 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:33 pm

In at Minnesota via phone; don't know what my scholarship offer (if any) will be there yet as the packet hasn't arrived. The money does matter -- I'm pretty much taking out loans for anything not covered.

My question: Even considering money, is there any reason to keep applications active at the following schools, or should I withdraw to get out of the way for others who are waiting? To put it another way, would any amount of scholarship at these schools potentially sway you from Minnesota in my situation? (I applied to such a broad range because as a splitter, I had no idea how successful/unsuccessful I'd end up being.)

Seattle, Marquette, Indiana-Indianapolis, DePaul.

As far as what I'm looking for in a law school, I don't necessarily know what kind of law I want to go into, so schools that are better across the board are a plus -- part of what makes me excited about UMN. All things being equal, it'd be nice to live in Chicago, as I have a group of friends there already -- but I can't say I necessarily have a hard preference (I've lived in plenty of places already and targeted schools that would place in the Chicago, D.C., San Diego and Seattle markets for various reasons in my list of applications).


User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Withdraw from T2 apps?

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm

If money is an issue and the T2 schools are genuine possibilities, than I would not withdraw, even if there's a small chance you may go there. The only time you should absolutely withdraw an application is if there is no chance you would go there, even with a substantial scholarship. You have every right to get a full range of your options. I don't know much about Minnesota, but I can't imagine the degree is too portability outside of that region, i.e. Seattle U would be better for Seattle, etc

User avatar
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Withdraw from T2 apps?

Postby ggocat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Give it another 2-3 months. IMO, "I don't necessarily know what kind of law I want to go into" = a scholarship might be a good idea to keep your employment options open. School name vs. debt is a tradeoff. Better reputation makes more employers attracted to you; lower debt makes more employers attractive to you.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Withdraw from T2 apps?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 pm

I would wait some. If you want Chicago, it's close, but I would pick any of the Chicago T2's with a full ride over Minnesota sticker. OP, I don't know your stats, but I recently got a full ride from Chicago-Kent. If my next best offer was sticker from MN, I would have taken the full ride.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heythatslife and 11 guests