Hofstra/Case/Seton Hall/NEU???? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stoicjustice

New

Hofstra/Case/Seton Hall/NEU????

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Full Ride at Hofstra vs. $30k at Seton Hall vs. $70k at Case Western Reserve vs. $40k at Northeastern

All amounts are anticipated debt after 3 years.

Also, what amount of debt would make it worthwhile to go to CWR as I assume it will be pretty standard advice that $70k is too much debt.

Lastly, if PSU was thrown into the mix with an expected debt of $20k, would that change anything?

I don't really care where the school is, although I am really not sure about Seton Hall's location. Not sure exactly what type of law that I want to pursue, probably business/corporate.

World B. Free

Bronze

Re: Hofstra/Case/Seton Hall/NEU????

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Of them all, Case is the best... probably worth justifying the additional debt? wouldn't you have more debt at psu --- it's not cheap

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:25 pm

World B. Free wrote:Of them all, Case is the best... probably worth justifying the additional debt? wouldn't you have more debt at psu --- it's not cheap
These are expected debt numbers after using the GI Bill - not scholarships. For some reason the GI Bill is very paltry in Ohio and very generous in Pennsylvania. The reason that PSU was an afterthought is that I have not officially been accepted by them yet - the rest I have. I have also been accepted at Vermont which would be a full ride but after some additional thought I have all but ruled it out based on it's location and that I dont really want to pursue environmental law.

Case Western is a top choice for me but I don't feel comfortable in today's volatile market taking on that amount of debt.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Depends on what you want to do. I'd personally take NE, but I love New England and want to do PI work. I don't look upon Seton Hall/Hofstra as anything decent, and I know very little about Case.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:40 pm

And as a side note - Obama's revision of the GI Bill is going to save me about 20k in loans. <3 Obama.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I'd probably take 20k of debt at PSU only because I wouldn't want to attend a T2 in NYC. PSU (in your case) offers minimal debt in an awesome location, and none of your choices offer drastically better employment prospects so take the cheaper route.

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:13 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:I'd probably take 20k of debt at PSU only because I wouldn't want to attend a T2 in NYC. PSU (in your case) offers minimal debt in an awesome location, and none of your choices offer drastically better employment prospects so take the cheaper route.
Yeah, I assume that if I am offered admission to PSU then I will probably attend if everything else stays the same. If I could get some finaid for Case, I would rather go there - but not for the current debt obligation.

If PSU rejects me then that's a completely different story. In that scenario I am completely lost - probably leaning more towards Hofstra than anything else. The risk is substantially lower.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:18 pm

what are your numbers if you dont mind?

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 pm

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Mid 150s and low 3s.....and yes, I am also considering taking a year off and taking another stab at the LSAT. The thought of going through that whole ordeal again though is disconcerting.

I have a few other apps out there from tier 1 schools but doubt I will be accepted with my subpar numbers.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Blindmelon wrote:And as a side note - Obama's revision of the GI Bill is going to save me about 20k in loans. <3 Obama.
Obama's revision? Am I missing something? I thought post 9/11 was in the works before he even took office?

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:58 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:And as a side note - Obama's revision of the GI Bill is going to save me about 20k in loans. <3 Obama.
Obama's revision? Am I missing something? I thought post 9/11 was in the works before he even took office?
+1 Please link to info on the "Obama" revision. Senator Webb was the driving force behind the Chapter 33 GI Bill which was passed in summer 2008 before Obama was even elected. Feel free to heart Obama for the things he has actually done...like winning the Nobel Peace prize.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:00 pm

As to the OP, what are the requirements to keep you scholarship at Hofstra? What are your career goals? From just the data listed I vote Hofstra for 0$.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:As to the OP, what are the requirements to keep you scholarship at Hofstra? What are your career goals? From just the data listed I vote Hofstra for 0$.
no requirements - it's the Gi Bill - it is very generous for NY. As for career goals....my dream is academia but I understand how unlikely that is by going to the schools I am considering. Other than that, I will be looking into international o business/corporate law.

blaw

New

Post by blaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

OP, In regards to Hofstra- Did you get your scholarship info in a seperate package or with the acceptance package? Did you get before/same time/after you got your acceptance letter.

Also, did you get a handwritten letter from the director of admissions talking about what she especially liked about your application??

Finally my .02-Honestly, I would go to the highest ranked school I was accepted to. However, if money is an issue-stick to hofstra's full ride and avoid the debt (economic outlook is volatile, you don't want to risk overburdening yourself) Also, I would HATE to go through this process again...Now that you have already applied, I wouldn't waste an extra year applying, I would probaly try to top my class and look to transfer to higher ranked school. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 pm

blaw wrote:OP, In regards to Hofstra- Did you get your scholarship info in a seperate package or with the acceptance package? Did you get before/same time/after you got your acceptance letter.

Also, did you get a handwritten letter from the director of admissions talking about what she especially liked about your application??

Finally my .02-Honestly, I would go to the highest ranked school I was accepted to. However, if money is an issue-stick to hofstra's full ride and avoid the debt (economic outlook is volatile, you don't want to risk overburdening yourself) Also, I would HATE to go through this process again...Now that you have already applied, I wouldn't waste an extra year applying, I would probaly try to top my class and look to transfer to higher ranked school. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks
it's the gi bill, not a scholarship. I don't want substantial debt so I understand what you are saying. I will always keep transfering as an option but I don't want to bank on that. From what I've heard, being in the top ten percent of one's class is far from a lock no matter how hard one works. I think I would be comfortable graduating from hofstra, especially if it doesn't cause me to go into debt. I was just curious if others had any interesting insight. Multiple takes > one.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 am

Hofstra. Don't take on debt for any of these schools. Your career prospects are similar coming from any of them. Go to Hofstra, get as much practical experience as you can, network from day one, and graduate debt free.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
+1 Please link to info on the "Obama" revision. Senator Webb was the driving force behind the Chapter 33 GI Bill which was passed in summer 2008 before Obama was even elected. Feel free to heart Obama for the things he has actually done...like winning the Nobel Peace prize.
Yea... you're right. I also hate when people attribute this health care bill to Obama. He didn't propose it. He can't as hes not a legislator. So why do people keep attacking him about it? Obama didn't propose the bill, but after the massive VA cute GW put in place, I'm glad we have someone who supports veterans in the White House. I'm not an Obama supporter, and I have worked in veterans affairs before and am a recipient of educational benefits.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”