the lower tiered schools in ny, really any difference? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolftw

Bronze

the lower tiered schools in ny, really any difference?

Post by lawschoolftw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Ok, so I know most of you are going to reply with don't go to any of these schools. But I'm not interested in big law and am seriously considering family and child law or other kinds of public interest law. Therefore I'm not really looking on taking on a ton of debt. I've been accepted to some tier one schools already and am still waiting on a bunch (including a couple of t14's where my acceptance we'll be completely contingent on the boost i get from my URM status). Conceivably living on Long Island my cheapest option is to attend a school here or in the city so I Can commute. I've received a half schol. at St. Johns (contingent on being in the top half) 35k/yr at Hofstra (top 40 percent) and I have not heard from Pace yet but I'm hoping for a and expecting a rather large scholarship. Beyond the these schools aren't worth going to law school responses do you see any difference in them, or should I go with the best offer with the least stipulations for maintaing the scholarship?

Thanks guys!

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Re: the lower tiered schools in ny, really any difference?

Post by sawwaverunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Ok, so I know most of you are going to reply with don't go to any of these schools. But I'm not interested in big law and am seriously considering family and child law or other kinds of public interest law. Therefore I'm not really looking on taking on a ton of debt. I've been accepted to some tier one schools already and am still waiting on a bunch (including a couple of t14's where my acceptance we'll be completely contingent on the boost i get from my URM status). Conceivably living on Long Island my cheapest option is to attend a school here or in the city so I Can commute. I've received a half schol. at St. Johns (contingent on being in the top half) 35k/yr at Hofstra (top 40 percent) and I have not heard from Pace yet but I'm hoping for a and expecting a rather large scholarship. Beyond the these schools aren't worth going to law school responses do you see any difference in them, or should I go with the best offer with the least stipulations for maintaing the scholarship?

Thanks guys!
Usually I'm a not a huge proponent of Hofstra, but my advice would be to take the scholarship there, send in a phenomenal application to become a family and child law fellow at the school (I think it is an additional 10k/ 8 k each summer for employment), and then work hard in school to keep the scholarship. You could conceivably go to school for free (not taking into account living expenses) and have a great shot at getting into the field you think you want as a fellow in that field.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

None of those schools are worth going to.

Did you apply to Rutgers-Newark?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Go the school that you would be most comfortable paying sticker price for should you lose your scholarship.

I feel as though that is the ultimate sorting tool when comparing schools with contingent scholarships.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 pm

See if any of the schools will re-negotiate the scholarship requirements. If any of them are willing to remove the grade-requirement, attend there. The lower-ranked NYC schools are all identical in quality (with very small differences that really are not worth spending more money at one and not the other).

If you are looking for family law, Hofstra is actually fairly well known and you should look into the program they have that allows you a full scholly if you agree to work in public interest family law for a bit after. Not sure if they still have it, but they might.

At the end of the day, Hofstra, SJU, BLS and Dozo are all equal for the most part and neither is worth spending more money on. But see what you can negotiate re: the grade requirement. IF SJU says ok and lets you attend with 25k locked-in, this is better than hofstra with 35K that you might lose. I'm sure you're a smart kid, but anyone can make one or two mistakes that can drop a B to a C... That one C might be enough to hurt you if you rack in a few low Bs along with it. Not a hard thing to do in LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Hmm people change though. I would compromise. Apply to better schools and see if any of them will give you a half scholarship. That way you don't have a lot of debt but you will still have a decent chance at big/midlaw. You also have to be really careful. They might put all the scholarship kids together in one section. Just out of sheer statistics not everyone will be able to keep their scholarship. Some schools play dirty like that.

Friends dont let friends go to HofsTTTra.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Usually I'm a not a huge proponent of Hofstra, but my advice would be to take the scholarship there, send in a phenomenal application to become a family and child law fellow at the school (I think it is an additional 10k/ 8 k each summer for employment), and then work hard in school to keep the scholarship. You could conceivably go to school for free (not taking into account living expenses) and have a great shot at getting into the field you think you want as a fellow in that field.[/quote]

Ok I appreciate this advice. Do you know how difficult it is to get this fellowship? I think I could write a pretty interesting essay but my interest in family law is pretty recent. Besides having worked with children my whole life as a martial arts instructor I dont know if I have any kind of softs or anything like that that would demonstrate my desire to work in the field. I'll throw an app at it anyway, if I manage to get it on top of my merit aid I should be set and atleast come out with having zero debt.
TipTravHoot wrote:None of those schools are worth going to.

I knew this one was coming, I get it its really really really difficult to get a good job coming out of these schools but financially I don't feel comfortable taking oin that kind of debt, plus I'm not sure if I'd even get those kind of loans right now. As far as rutgers-newark no I haven't, I know they place pretty decent in new york as well, better than Sju, Hofstra, Pace, etc?

Does anyone have any experience with leveragin scholarships to get lesser stipulations? I actually think the Hofstra stip. could be pretty steap especially if they section stack.

Thanks guys.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Usually I'm a not a huge proponent of Hofstra, but my advice would be to take the scholarship there, send in a phenomenal application to become a family and child law fellow at the school (I think it is an additional 10k/ 8 k each summer for employment), and then work hard in school to keep the scholarship. You could conceivably go to school for free (not taking into account living expenses) and have a great shot at getting into the field you think you want as a fellow in that field.

Ok I appreciate this advice. Do you know how difficult it is to get this fellowship? I think I could write a pretty interesting essay but my interest in family law is pretty recent. Besides having worked with children my whole life as a martial arts instructor I dont know if I have any kind of softs or anything like that that would demonstrate my desire to work in the field. I'll throw an app at it anyway, if I manage to get it on top of my merit aid I should be set and atleast come out with having zero debt.
TipTravHoot wrote:None of those schools are worth going to.

Hey, I don't know how hard it is to get it, but you never know. I bet a ton of people are really put off by the fact that you have to work at least a couple years in family law after graduation so competition will be less intense. It never hurts to try and you can get practically free schooling and have an improved chance at getting a job as a fellow (Hofstra will push for you so that their fellows (and the school) don't look bad....they post their fellows and their jobs on their website.
I knew this one was coming, I get it its really really really difficult to get a good job coming out of these schools but financially I don't feel comfortable taking oin that kind of debt, plus I'm not sure if I'd even get those kind of loans right now. As far as rutgers-newark no I haven't, I know they place pretty decent in new york as well, better than Sju, Hofstra, Pace, etc?

Does anyone have any experience with leveragin scholarships to get lesser stipulations? I actually think the Hofstra stip. could be pretty steap especially if they section stack.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”