Berkeley Haters Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hoopsguy6

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Haters

Post by hoopsguy6 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 am

The Brainalist wrote:I like the city of berkeley.
I like the movie theatre.
I like the restaurants (especially that rib place at the end of university)
I like the mountains.
I like the bay.
I like the bart.
I like that it is close to oakland, which has a place in my heart.

I also like a lot of other places. That doesn't mean I am only going to say nice things about it. I'm just trying to say it is overrated by people on this board. A lot of kool-aid being drunk here.

The school, I can take or leave. I like the gym and the pools. The campus is okay. Main library was okay. Not the best and not the worst I've ever seen. I don't get the urge to be one of about 35,000 students there, about 90% of which piddle around the state and aren't really exceptional.

Yes, I've been pretty consistent in knocking it. Kudos to anyone who gets in and goes to the law school, though. It is a competitive program and has great professional options. No doubt about that.
I don't understand your point here. Because you like the city you get a free pass to troll on a school in the city? I don't even like Berkeley that much (if you paid attention carefully, I didn't actually say a single positive thing about the school or the city in this thread). I just found your constant backhanded "compliments" and straw man attacks to be incredibly annoying. All the schools in the top 10 are pretty amazing to me. I don't understand why you have to single out any one of them to attack constantly, or why you can't just let some people be enthusiastic about a school they love.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 am

crackberry wrote:As someone who has lived for 5+ years in both places, San Francisco > New York. There, I said it.
What is the criteria for this judgement?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 am

hoopsguy6 wrote:
I like the mountains.
I like the bay.
I like the bart.

I also like a lot of other places. That doesn't mean I am only going to say nice things about it. I'm just trying to say it is overrated by people on this board. A lot of kool-aid being drunk here.

The school, I can take or leave. I like the gym and the pools. The campus is okay. Main library was okay. Not the best and not the worst I've ever seen. I don't get the urge to be one of about 35,000 students there, about 90% of which piddle around the state and aren't really exceptional.

Yes, I've been pretty consistent in knocking it. Kudos to anyone who gets in and goes to the law school, though. It is a competitive program and has great professional options. No doubt about that.
I don't understand your point here. Because you like the city you get a free pass to troll on a school in the city? I don't even like Berkeley that much (if you paid attention carefully, I didn't actually say a single positive thing about the school or the city in this thread). I just found your constant backhanded "compliments" and straw man attacks to be incredibly annoying. All the schools in the top 10 are pretty amazing to me. I don't understand why you have to single out any one of them to attack constantly, or why you can't just let some people be enthusiastic about a school they love.
This thread is called "Berkeley Haters." OP asked, I answered. All I am saying is that at best city of Berkeley is a 7 or 8 on a scale of ten, and UC Berkeley doesn't float my boat. People are saying why they think its a ten, I'm saying why it loses three points. Call stating "UCB is not in SF" a straw man if you will, it doesn't make it any less of a negative when comparing to schools that are truly part of a major metropolis. Why that drives you wild I don't know. I don't go posting hate in the Berkeley 2013 thread, or admit threads or whatever, so I don't know why you feel so compelled to chime in this thread.

Berkeley is not in SF!

NU is on par with Berkeley with a better location!

Go ahead and lose it hoopsie. I know you just can't stand it.

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 am

The Brainalist wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:
I like the mountains.
I like the bay.
I like the bart.

This thread is called "Berkeley Haters." OP asked, I answered. All I am saying is that at best city of Berkeley is a 7 or 8 on a scale of ten, and UC Berkeley doesn't float my boat. People are saying why they think its a ten, I'm saying why it loses three points. Call stating "UCB is not in SF" a straw man if you will, it doesn't make it any less of a negative when comparing to schools that are truly part of a major metropolis. Why that drives you wild I don't know. I don't go posting hate in the Berkeley 2013 thread, or admit threads or whatever, so I don't know why you feel so compelled to chime in this thread.

Berkeley is not in SF!

NU is on par with Berkeley with a better location!

Go ahead and lose it hoopsie. I know you just can't stand it.
Once again, but not surprisingly, you completely miss the point. Good job defending against straw man accusations... by making another straw man argument. Anyways, I'm done arguing in this thread, as this is getting super pointless. You're a pretty blatant anti-UCB troll, and I don't care enough about UCB to keep this going.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 am

The Brainalist wrote:NU is on par with Berkeley
Wrong. Just plain wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:39 am

ccs224 wrote:
crackberry wrote:As someone who has lived for 5+ years in both places, San Francisco > New York. There, I said it.
Weather, attitude (laid back v. high stress) and location (by location I mean quality of outdoor activities nearby).

Listen, I love New York. I grew up there. I lived there until I went to college. There is no question that it is the best city in the US for culture (plays, museums, etc.) and nightlife, but my priorities are a little different. Plus, NYC will be forever changed by the financial crisis. The West Coast (despite California's current budget woes) is the new breadbasket of America.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:39 am

crackberry wrote:
ughOSU wrote:NU's location is pretty much the best in the T10.
Extremely blatant anti-NYU and (a little less blatant) anti-CLS trolling.

NYC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago.
QFT. Hell, Fordham has most of the T14 beat in terms of location.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 am

vanwinkle wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Who is supposed to QFT? Me or Ohio State?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 am

The Brainalist wrote:I double checked, and it wasn't a bunch of people doing it. It was boilercat twice (now 3 times) and someone else once. Boilercat seems like a lot of people.
Berk <3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:42 am

crackberry wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
crackberry wrote:

i'm guessing that he's quoting you for truth, especially since he said that "Fordham has most of the T14 beat in terms of location."

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 am

Tofu wrote:i'm guessing that he's quoting you for truth, especially since he said that "Fordham has most of the T14 beat in terms of location."
Woah, does QFT mean "quote for truth"? I thought it meant "quit fucking talking."

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:46 am

crackberry wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
crackberry wrote:

This is what I think of Ohio State:

So, what do you think?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 am

crackberry wrote:
Tofu wrote:i'm guessing that he's quoting you for truth, especially since he said that "Fordham has most of the T14 beat in terms of location."
Woah, does QFT mean "quote for truth"? I thought it meant "quit fucking talking."
Ahahaha. Yes, it means quoted for truth. That makes the misunderstanding easier to understand. (Wow, there's a sentence.)
Last edited by vanwinkle on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:This is what I think of Ohio State:

So, what do you think?
I hate Ohio State almost as much as I hate Notre Dame. And I REALLY hate Notre Dame.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:49 am

crackberry wrote:I hate Ohio State almost as much as I hate Notre Dame. And I REALLY hate Notre Dame.

+1

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 am

crackberry wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Weather, attitude (laid back v. high stress) and location (by location I mean quality of outdoor activities nearby).

Listen, I love New York. I grew up there. I lived there until I went to college. There is no question that it is the best city in the US for culture (plays, museums, etc.) and nightlife, but my priorities are a little different. Plus, NYC will be forever changed by the financial crisis. The West Coast (despite California's current budget woes) is the new breadbasket of America.
Wasn't judging, just asking. I, personally, prefer NYC's 'high stress' attitude, as SF seems a bit complacent and slightly suburban to me (oddly with the worst, most aggressive homeless population I've ever experienced). Weather is alright, if you like consistency, though not too far from Seattle, not too great if you like seasons. I also wouldn't say that CA is America's new breadbasket - it has literally been America's largest agricultural state for several decades now and, if we're talking money instead of literal bread, it doesn't seem to be doing much better than the East. That said, it certainly is much more beautiful than NYC, and more people have cars, leading to much more access to the natural wonders of the west coast.

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:53 am

crackberry wrote:
ahaha i haven't seen someone use qft to mean "quit fucking talking." now that you brought it up, though, it seems like a shame that qft only means "quoted for truth" and not "quit fucking talking" :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:53 am

crackberry wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

My entire goal is to end up in CA or FL (with CA >>>>>> FL). I'd also be satisfied with GA or TX. I love Chicago and it'll always be home but the weather here seriously sucks year-round - not just during winter, which would be bad enough. No desire to end up anywhere on the East Coast north of DC.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:01 am

ccs224 wrote:Wasn't judging, just asking. I, personally, prefer NYC's 'high stress' attitude, as SF seems a bit complacent and slightly suburban to me (oddly with the worst, most aggressive homeless population I've ever experienced). Weather is alright, if you like consistency, though not too far from Seattle, not too great if you like seasons. I also wouldn't say that CA is America's new breadbasket - it has literally been America's largest agricultural state for several decades now and, if we're talking money instead of literal bread, it doesn't seem to be doing much better than the East. That said, it certainly is much more beautiful than NYC, and more people have cars, leading to much more access to the natural wonders of the west coast.
I was using "breadbasket" to mean money because if America is to retain its place as a global superpower, we are going to have to rely on the tech and science sectors, which are located primarily in California and the West Coast.

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 am

Last edited by Legacy316 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Tofu wrote:
crackberry wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
crackberry wrote:Extremely blatant anti-NYU and (a little less blatant) anti-CLS trolling.

i'm guessing that he's quoting you for truth, especially since he said that "Fordham has most of the T14 beat in terms of location."
lol I had a feeling that comment was going to explode... fair enough on NYU/Columbia, but NU is in a really awesome part of chicago. Very underrated location. and NYC is not that much better than chicago.

Note: "pretty much the best". I realize NYU's location is better. Columbia... meh.

e:
crackberry wrote:I hate Ohio State almost as much as I hate Notre Dame. And I REALLY hate Notre Dame.
I completely agree with you here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I lived in NYC (Manhattan) until I went out to school in Berkeley. I did my undergrad at Berkeley and I can honestly say that it was the 4 most enjoyable years I have ever had in my life. I’m not trying to be a Berkeley “troll” or sell Berkeley for something that it isn’t, but I really do believe that Berkeley/SF is the coolest area out of any school in the T14. True, Berkeley is not actually in SF. If you drive during non-rush hour traffic (rush hour ~4-7pm), it would take you 10-15 minutes to get from the Berkeley campus to Market Street in SF (the Union Square area). If you take BART, you’re looking at about 18-22 mins (depending on the time of day you go).

And re the comment about Berkeley UGs not going to SF—I agree and disagree. Yes, the younger students don’t go to SF all that often because (1) they can’t get into clubs/bars and (2) because, like Crackberry mentioned, the city of Berkeley is just a fun place to be and many students don’t find the need to venture out. But older students (juniors and seniors) most definitely go to SF quite a bit. Among the older UGs that I knew, I would say most went about once a week. Many went twice or even three times a week. Many older UGs also actually live in SF (I would estimate about 10-20%, including myself) and take the BART to school (many also take the Transbay bus, which is free for Berkeley students, but takes about 35-50 mins depending on traffic).

And living in SF is even more common among grad students at Berkeley. Among grad students, I would say at least 1/3 live in SF.

Bottom line: Berkeley is a great place to live, in my opinion, not only because the city itself is awesome, but also because of its close proximity to SF. Having lived in NYC for nearly 20 years, I can honestly say—without hesitation or equivocation—that SF > NYC. Just my $.02.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:32 pm

crackberry wrote:

NYC is full of hippies, bankers, artists, foreigners, and all sorts of other unsavory people.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
crackberry wrote:

NYC is full of hippies, bankers, artists, foreigners, and all sorts of other unsavory people.
And Chicago is full of corrupt politicians and people with biting inferiority complexes over the Second City's place in the world vis-a-vis New York.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 pm

crackberry wrote:
rayiner wrote:
crackberry wrote:

And Chicago is full of corrupt politicians and people with biting inferiority complexes over the Second City's place in the world vis-a-vis New York.
Corrupt politicians I'll give you, but I find the idea of people from other cities being jealous of NYC somewhat amusing. If NY is so great, why is everyone leaving? http://www.city-journal.org/2009/nytom_migration.html

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”