1L Stopping School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
timpriot

New

1L Stopping School

Post by timpriot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 pm

I am currently a 1L, and although I am at a top 15 law school, I have realized that law school is not worth it for me financially or necessary for me given my career aspirations.

I am debating whether or not to take exams. I have not studied, but I feel like I might as well show up if I paid for the semester. Should I take the exams, or could doing poorly have any possible negative impact for me in my future?

Thanks.

gaud

Platinum

Re: 1L Stopping School

Post by gaud » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I would take them

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:27 pm

timpriot wrote:I am currently a 1L, and although I am at a top 15 law school, I have realized that law school is not worth it for me financially or necessary for me given my career aspirations.

I am debating whether or not to take exams. I have not studied, but I feel like I might as well show up if I paid for the semester. Should I take the exams, or could doing poorly have any possible negative impact for me in my future?

Thanks.
If you ever went back, or applied to a new school (of any type) it might be a problem.

Also the exams suck, and if you don't care you'll do fucking terrible.

Take up a collection plate at school. Get people in your section to donate 200 bucks, so you tank the curve a bit.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm

I say take them since there's nothing to be gained by not doing so. If you apply to any other program in the future, you may want to demonstrate that you left while still being in "good standing." But that being said, do not allow good grades to convince you to return to school if you've already decided it's not the right path for you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

cinephile wrote:I say take them since there's nothing to be gained by not doing so. If you apply to any other program in the future, you may want to demonstrate that you left while still being in "good standing." But that being said, do not allow good grades to convince you to return to school if you've already decided it's not the right path for you.
Unless he shits the bed on exams, you know because he doesn't care, and hasn't studied, and leaves with a 1.9 GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:01 pm

You've spend time and money on law school. Presumably, you can't withdraw at this point, anyway. Might as well get the full semester experience before pursuing something else...

timpriot

New

Post by timpriot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:31 pm

If I apply for another program in a few years such as to a different school's MBA program, would they ask if I was ever enrolled in another graduate program or to see my grades? If could see them asking if I was in another MBA program, but would they ask about being in a different grad program such as law? If so, could they / would they ask to see my grades from one semester where I then stopped going to school (but decided even before exams)?

Malcolmwhitwell84

New

Post by Malcolmwhitwell84 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't be too hasty if I were you. These threads often pop up toward the end of the semester. Unless you are 100% certain you're going to drop out, I'd suck it up and do your best.

timpriot

New

Post by timpriot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 pm

I am 100% certain. I have sold my apartment and am leaving in 2 weeks. Am I better off not taking exams, since future graduate programs may ask what graduate programs I've attended and what my grades were?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 pm

A standard MBA application will say something like:
"We require uploaded transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate academic institutions that you have attended (full- or part-time)" (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... rself.aspx)

goaheadualright

New

Post by goaheadualright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 pm

take them! you're getting a W anyway?

timpriot

New

Post by timpriot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Will having been in law school showup if a future school or employer does an educational background check on me? If so and this will be something I must admit when applying for a future MBA program, I do not want it to appear that I left school because of bad grades when it was in reality the opposite.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm

I feel like this is something you should be able to talk to your school administration about, and they should know better than any of us. If I were you and there was a way to drop out without taking the exams, I would personally do that because I agree that you wouldn't want it to appear like it was your grades that made you leave. That's just my guess though. I imagine your school administration has dealt with this before, and so long as you're sincere I'm sure they'll help you out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Can you withdraw at this point, or would not showing up cause you to fail?

If you can withdraw, you probably should withdraw. If you can't withdraw then you should probably take the exams so you don't have uber-shitty transcripts. FWIW we had a girl withdraw last week and exams start Tuesday.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Of course I don't know your school's policies, but I suspect its too late to withdraw, and not taking them will end up as big fat 0.0's on your transcript.

barbaraeliz

Bronze

Post by barbaraeliz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 pm

I am in your same boat, withdrawing after this semester with the plan to pursue a BSN. I am studying and outlining with the intent of taking two of my exams (have a B from one of my classes already), and since the other 2 are year long, not focusing on the those, since I will end up with a W on my transcript for those two. If you can't withdraw now, just study seriously, enjoy watching others panic, and accept what you get. Worse comes to worse, if it is brought up by a future admissions council for a MBA program, or whatever else you pursue that would require your law school transcript, have a frank, honest, but thoughtful explanation of why you left. You're not the first person to leave, and pursue a different means of higher education. I think the number of us will only become more frequent in future years, as people smarten up.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm

talk to your dean of student affairs. take or not take the exams depends on which option would not give you the worst grades.

If you can withdraw, do it. Who gives a shit about Ws when the alternative option is horrible grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”