Community College GPA count? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TrainingDaze

New

Community College GPA count?

Post by TrainingDaze » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

First of all thanks everyone for creating and contributing to such an amazing resource, I am grateful....

I complete an Associate's Degree at a Comm College (gpa about 3.0) and then transferred to a University and completed my bachelor's Degree(gpa 3.96). When I apply to law schools, should I just refer to my Comm College as 'AS degree completed', or do I need to show my old gpa? Also will my 3.0 affect my chances of getting into a top law school?

Many thanks to all =o)

bartlet4america

New

Re: Community College GPA count?

Post by bartlet4america » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Unfortunately, you have to report every transcript that counted towards your degree. I did a few community college classes over the summer and had to report those. They were factored into my LSAC GPA in the same way as my other classes.

El Internacional

New

Post by El Internacional » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Along these lines... I have a 3.0 from the CC I went to before transferring to my undergrad school. I already have my B.A., but would it be beneficial for me to go back and do some of my classes over again at the CC? I have a few classes where I had D's, that dragged my GPA down. I know I could easily complete these classes with A's since I'd be taking them seriously now.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm

El Internacional wrote:Along these lines... I have a 3.0 from the CC I went to before transferring to my undergrad school. I already have my B.A., but would it be beneficial for me to go back and do some of my classes over again at the CC? I have a few classes where I had D's, that dragged my GPA down. I know I could easily complete these classes with A's since I'd be taking them seriously now.
Nope-- credits earned after you get your first bachelor's degree do not count towards your GPA calculation

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:56 am

TrainingDaze wrote:First of all thanks everyone for creating and contributing to such an amazing resource, I am grateful....

I complete an Associate's Degree at a Comm College (gpa about 3.0) and then transferred to a University and completed my bachelor's Degree(gpa 3.96). When I apply to law schools, should I just refer to my Comm College as 'AS degree completed', or do I need to show my old gpa? Also will my 3.0 affect my chances of getting into a top law school?

Many thanks to all =o)
All grades will be factored in, so your cumulative GPA will be somewhere around a 3.5.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:04 am

TrainingDaze wrote:First of all thanks everyone for creating and contributing to such an amazing resource, I am grateful....

Many thanks to all =o)
Yeah it counts, and yes it will affect your chances of getting into a top law school. Nonetheless, your GPA average isn't too bad, and a really good LSAT will get you into a top program. I had a ~2.0 across 90 credits when I transferred to the school I graduated from, a 4.0 at my graduation school across my last 75 credits (so around 45 credits didn't count towards anything because I changed my major after I gave up on pre-pharmacy). LSAC blows, I ended with around 3.0 LSAC GPA (I think slightly below), which kept me from getting into any real top schools, but I got into the MIT MBA program (since, like most grad programs, they only look at grades from your degree granting institution).

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:13 am

capitalacq wrote:
El Internacional wrote:Along these lines... I have a 3.0 from the CC I went to before transferring to my undergrad school. I already have my B.A., but would it be beneficial for me to go back and do some of my classes over again at the CC? I have a few classes where I had D's, that dragged my GPA down. I know I could easily complete these classes with A's since I'd be taking them seriously now.
Nope-- credits earned after you get your first bachelor's degree do not count towards your GPA calculation
Oh? Credits after a B.A., even if they're still at the undergraduate level, aren't included?

Hm, we'll that's new for me. Where is this information available?

El Internacional

New

Post by El Internacional » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:07 am

capitalacq wrote:

Even if it is a retake of a credits from you undergrad? I have 3 classes from CC that I want to retake. Those grades would replace my original grades on my transcript from that school. So, you're saying they would discount the new transcript from that school for the old one, though they are a retake of the same classes, and they're not new classes per se.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:07 am

Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 am

capitalacq wrote:
That's a weird way of doing things. So if someone were double majoring, and they had an awesome GPA, they mine as well just graduate with one major, then later finish the other major. But if you were double majoring you could simply set yourself up that you do not graduate until you were done with all the classes from both majors. Or if someone didn't have that great of a GPA, they could take all but one class, retake classes that they did bad on and take additional classes to bump their GPA, and then graduate a semester later. Seems like there's a lot of play to game the system with how LSAC does this (I don't get that one).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:11 pm

rolark wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
Oh? Credits after a B.A., even if they're still at the undergraduate level, aren't included?

Hm, we'll that's new for me. Where is this information available?
Right, only grades earned before your first bachelor's degree is granted will count. This information can be found around Page 32-34 of the LSDAS Information Book that you can get online from LSAC's web page. Since you've already graduated, your GPA is set in stone around a 3.5.

Double majors typically have to finish both majors at the same time, because you're getting one degree with two majors on it. Double degree candidates also often have to finish both degrees at the same time because many requirements are double counted. If you're completing a dual 5-year bachelor's/master's degree program, then all 5 years would count because you get both degrees at the same time. So there really isn't any flexibility in choosing when you can "stop" counting classes.

You're right that one could delay graduation and load up on easy classes, but that's true of any GPA calculation system. In any case, LSAC counts both original and new grades for retaken classes, so your plan would not have worked anyway.

El Internacional

New

Post by El Internacional » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Hmm. That saves me time and money then. Now to focus on what we still can control, the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”