PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lollypotter

New

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Post by lollypotter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

Feel free to take this advice or not but it may help everyone in the What are My Chances (WAMC) thread if you do. I can understand that post LSAT many people's expectations are radically changed and they are seeking reassurance as well as knowledge. However there are some things you can do to help yourself and others in determining your chances at your dream schools.

1. Please check out the information out there already. I understand that it's too cumbersome to run searches for past WAMC so it means many many new posts asking similar questions. Please help yourself and everyone else by checking the numerous other sources out there for a fuller picture of your chances than can be given in a few posts.

- law school calculators -
http://www.hourumd.com/
--LinkRemoved--
http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearc ... SidString=
http://www.chiashu.com

Don't just rely on these calculators though. I have seen a LOT of poor extrapolation coming out of hourumd percentages especially lately. You really want to bring a critical eye to all of the sources you find, not just trumpet one stat in a thread. Chaishu and http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com are gold mines of information. Look on lsn and search for people within your number range and look at their profiles. You can find a lot of EC information or URM information - maybe they had a phD, maybe they were war orphans, maybe they applied on Feb 1. This affects chances and you can't get that information by just punching your numbers into hourumd. And please don't expect other people to do the legwork for you.

Look at the schools on lsn - look at their profiles on lsac.org. Their class size, their matriculant information etc - all useful. It's really an insult to have a 3.9/174 post 'what are my chances at Harvard'. I mean, if you can't even be bothered to check the medians yourself, why should other people do it for you?

Another source of information is the accepted/deferred/rejected board. Look for a school you are interested in and read through the threads - it is gold. People tend to post their numbers, softs/URM etc, when they applied, and their results. You can see likely admittance times/deferral times. People post very detailed analyses there - for example determining (successfully) whether it was high lsats/low gpas or high gpas/low lsats who were likely to come off the Harvard waitlist first. It's a good model for this years admissions so read through it.

2. If you want to post, please post as much useful information as possible. For example, it's probably not necessary to post the name of your high school band counselor. Adcoms lurk these boards - it's been confirmed multiple times, to the point where a Harvard admit was told by an adcom that they 'enjoyed his viewpoints online'. So 'congressional internship' is fine - we don't need the name of your congressman. 'prestigious law firm', 'won international writing awards' - don't need the name and year and how you were the first woman to win X award. You are outing yourself to all the people lurking, some of whom may be adcoms, some of whom may be able to place you irl. Just a thought.

But we DO need all the relevant information. If someone has to post three times to get your GPA/LSAT and URM details, they probably aren't gonna bother to post a fourth time to actually give you your chances. Please don't waste people's time. LSAC GPA/ LSAT (all of them)/ URM / other stuff. As for URMs, please note in your initial post what kind of URM you are. It matters and it is very annoying to have to drag it out of you. If you are half Dominican, then say so in your initial post. Note any difficult socio-econ circumstances. Give a schools range or preferences. If you want California schools, say so... in your initial post.

3. Please be aware that people may not be able to help you. I know nothing about non t14 admissions because I'm not applying there. A lot of people posting have done all of the background work I mentioned earlier for themselves and are passing on what they've found. This is top-law-schools.com and the more specific and non t14 the search (t2 schools in Minnesota who do part time classes), the less people can actually respond. People are not ignoring your post but bad advice is worse than no advice. If you cannot get an answer, spend some time researching yourself and bring your information to the board. The more people who are actively researching, the better board advice is.

On that note, if your question is answered once, stop posting multiple threads and on multiple boards. It's very annoying. I think a lot of people are sick of spending time researching on lsn for someone's chances, and posting, only to see an identical thread 20 min later from the same person. If you want to obsess, spend that time on lsn - don't waste other people's time.

4. And one last thing. You get, at best, one 'hypothetical' thread. For the love of God, nobody needs to see six threads based on your six 'potential' LSAT scores. You are wasting people's time and you make it less likely that people will respond to your real dilemmas in the future. So few TLS regulars are posting on this thread anymore and this is one of the reasons why. Either post one thread with a range, or look it up yourself.

This is all settling down anyway but I thought that I would put as much info as possible and hopefully this will be useful for the future.
Last edited by lollypotter on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mallard

Silver

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Post by mallard » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Should be stickied with an additional link to LSN.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:34 pm

This is such a great post!

Feathers

New

Post by Feathers » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Great post. Thx!!

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

lollypotter, all u now need is a tar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:59 pm

I know!

I'm not sure any one picture can capture my overwhelming awesomeness.
Last edited by lollypotter on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWF V

New

Post by CWF V » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Nice overview. Bump.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Worthy of a sticky. bump.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Sticky this
Ban violators
God bless

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 pm

Bump

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Also "3.98, 179, URM - chances at HYS?" threads should be bannable

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:18 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Also "3.98, 179, URM - chances at HYS?" threads should be bannable
please god yes

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Does anyone have an opinion about LSAC probability calculator vs. LSN or the others? The percentages can vary if you're like me and somewhat a splitter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

what are my chances at a full skolly at yale? i have a 2.1 GPA, a 152 LSAT but my softs are REALLY good. like, president of sorority good.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 pm

kiwislug wrote:Does anyone have an opinion about LSAC probability calculator vs. LSN or the others? The percentages can vary if you're like me and somewhat a splitter.
IMO, forget probability calculators. None of them are going to be very accurate. I think there's some evidence that LSN is skews the odds lower because of the non-representative sample of over-achievers. LSAC's would maybe be better, but who knows?

Just look at the median and 25/75 numbers to see if you have a realistic shot. Things like soft factors, class size, etc. skew the odds calculators, which are based only on GPA/LSAT numbers. Your application is not just a pair of numbers.

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 pm

dresq wrote:
kiwislug wrote:Does anyone have an opinion about LSAC probability calculator vs. LSN or the others? The percentages can vary if you're like me and somewhat a splitter.
IMO, forget probability calculators. None of them are going to be very accurate. I think there's some evidence that LSN is skews the odds lower because of the non-representative sample of over-achievers. LSAC's would maybe be better, but who knows?

Just look at the median and 25/75 numbers to see if you have a realistic shot. Things like soft factors, class size, etc. skew the odds calculators, which are based only on GPA/LSAT numbers. Your application is not just a pair of numbers.
agreed. i don't think most of the people plugging their numbers into hourumd even know the school medians. 25/75 tell you much more.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

muddywaters wrote:what are my chances at a full skolly at yale? i have a 2.1 GPA, a 152 LSAT but my softs are REALLY good. like, president of sorority good.
I have a 2.6 and a 159 LSAT, but I am a gay URM. Are my chances of getting into Yale as good as my chances of starting an affirmative action flame bait thread?

Edit: I forgot to mention I went to an Ivy League UG, so you should probably add a full point to my GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Does anyone else think lawschoolcalculator.com might be a little stoned?

It gives me a 51% chance at Notre Dame and a 56% chance at Cornell. It also says that I am more likely to get into Vanderbilt than the University of Washington. While I'd like a 67% shot at Vandy and 56% shot at Cornell notwithstanding Teach For America, I just think this has to arouse some serious suspicion.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Anyone else get the feeling that no one is reading this?

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:57 pm

dresq wrote:Anyone else get the feeling that no one is reading this?
yup, link-em.

ramblinwreck

New

Post by ramblinwreck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:59 pm

kiwislug wrote:
yup, link-em.
Kiwislug has been linking everyone else to this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Squints

New

Post by Squints » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:00 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Sticky this
Ban violators
God bless
Amen.

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:08 pm

ramblinwreck wrote:
kiwislug wrote:
yup, link-em.
Kiwislug has been linking everyone else to this.
i know. so impressed. just gonna start doing it to everyone else

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:09 pm

lollypotter wrote: i know. so impressed. just gonna start doing it to everyone else
I want the regulars to come back to the board

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:12 pm

kiwislug wrote:
lollypotter wrote: i know. so impressed. just gonna start doing it to everyone else
I want the regulars to come back to the board
Your offhand dismissal/link of post after post is oddly attractive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”