3.43/176 URM Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shortsaiyan

New

3.43/176 URM Chances

Post by shortsaiyan » Wed May 17, 2023 11:36 am

Hello,

Currently a rising senior majoring in Finance that recently scored a 176 on LSAT and will likely end my college career in the mid 3.4s for my GPA. I am a black male if that is helpful for context. My goal is to work in litigation (would love to work within securities or white collar crime) closer to home on the East Coast. So, I have been looking at schools such as UPenn, UVA, Columbia, Georgetown, NYU. However, my safety options would include Howard and Temple. I would love to secure a full or half-ride to any of the above, are these realistic options with my stats?

talons2250

Bronze

Re: 3.43/176 URM Chances

Post by talons2250 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:59 pm

Accepted everywhere except Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Unlikely to receive merit scholarships from any T14 schools. You'll probably receive merit aid from schools like Howard and Temple.

Above is just a prediction. I could be wrong.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed May 17, 2023 12:59 pm

I think your chances are very good. I'd apply to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChi, Penn, NYU, Col, UVA, Duke, Cornell, NW, Mich, Gtown, and Cal. I'd also apply to Vandy or UT or UCLA or WashU depending on what region you'd like to practice in. I think you'll get some good offers and scholarships.

shortsaiyan

New

Post by shortsaiyan » Wed May 17, 2023 5:04 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:59 pm
I think your chances are very good. I'd apply to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChi, Penn, NYU, Col, UVA, Duke, Cornell, NW, Mich, Gtown, and Cal. I'd also apply to Vandy or UT or UCLA or WashU depending on what region you'd like to practice in. I think you'll get some good offers and scholarships.
Do the public state schools, such as Cal or UCLA, typically offer competitive financial aid?

shortsaiyan

New

Post by shortsaiyan » Wed May 17, 2023 5:08 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Accepted everywhere except Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Unlikely to receive merit scholarships from any T14 schools. You'll probably receive merit aid from schools like Howard and Temple.

This may be a poor question, but would a full-ride from Howard or Temple be a better offer than a T14 that offers little to no financial aid? Or would the ROI still make sense to go for prestige in that instance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lynagitat

New

Post by lynagitat » Thu May 18, 2023 4:51 am

Based on your GPA, LSAT score, and background, you have strong chances of being accepted to top law schools. I bet UPenn, UVA, Columbia, Georgetown, and NYU are great options for your interests in litigation :)) Securing a full or half-ride scholarship is competitive but possible with your profile.
Howard and Temple are also good choices and may offer SCHOLARSHIPS!*
So good luck! :D

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:37 am

shortsaiyan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:08 pm
talons2250 wrote:

This may be a poor question, but would a full-ride from Howard or Temple be a better offer than a T14 that offers little to no financial aid? Or would the ROI still make sense to go for prestige in that instance?
No, a full-ride from Howard or Temple would not be a better offer than a T14 that offers little to no financial aid. Yes, return on investment still makes sense to go for prestige in that instance.

The benefit of going to a T14 school is that you can graduate at median and still have multiple decent options. Not so at Howard or Temple.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu May 18, 2023 2:01 pm

shortsaiyan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:08 pm
talons2250 wrote:

Not a poor question at all. I think this largely depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to be a PD in Philly, it would be silly to not take the Temple fullride. If your goal is to practice at a huge firm and make the most money possible, I'd say go to a T14 school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”