175 LSAT, 3.65 CAS GPA, and Complicated History Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
IsaboeL

New

175 LSAT, 3.65 CAS GPA, and Complicated History

Post by IsaboeL » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am

Hi y'all! Thanks in advance for all your help -- just looking for some advice on where I'd get in + how much money I might get. Also, I'm planning on working on apps during the summer and submitting early.

LSAT: 173 (Nov. 2022) and 175 (Jan. 2023), so 174 average.

GPA: Technically 3.65 according to CAS, but I'll end undergrad with a 3.86 at the institution I'm graduating from. I also went to college for a year before high school and earned a 4.0, but then my parents also made me go to college when I dropped out of high school, and that didn't end well. I'll talk more about that in softs too.

Softs: So my parents weren't great (as the understatement of the century), and I ended up moving out when I was 15 years old. That's the same semester I dropped out of high school and went to college for a bit, but I was also actively dealing with Child Protective Services and adapting to a new home, so I'm pretty sure the bad grades are understandable. I plan on writing about my parents for my personal statement, but from the perspective of the meditation retreats I did in the years after leaving my parents -- they really helped me heal, and I still work for that organization as a committee member.

I'm also pretty much exclusively focused on pursuing PI, and my extracurriculars reflect that -- I was part of a group of BIPOC students who demanded the faculty change our curriculum (and it worked), I've done a bunch of stuff with my university's community engagement office, all that jazz. For a job after college and before law school, I'm applying to paralegal jobs in PI firms (e.g. civil rights and criminal defense) as well as theatre administration jobs, which is what my degree's in. Not sure exactly which one I'll do -- depends on who likes me!

Where I'm Applying: I'm gonna sweep T14 (see if I can leverage some scholarship money out of people) -- the ones I'm really interested in are Yale (but not betting on that at all), NYU, UC Berkeley, UMich, and Georgetown. Other than that, also applying to UCLA, UC Irvine, and CUNY -- I'm planning on living and working in NYC post-law school. Definitely open to recs for more places to apply! A diverse student body and a decent group of PI students are important to me, and I'd prefer a city or suburban setting.

Again, thanks for your help -- really appreciate it! :)

Access

New

Re: 175 LSAT, 3.65 CAS GPA, and Complicated History

Post by Access » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 pm

I don't see a complicated background, when you said that I thought you meant you had C&F issues. You just have a mix of grades, which is fine and requires no explanation. 3.65 is a good GPA, even if it's not helpful in context of law school applications. Over explaining risks coming off whiny.

You have an excellent LSAT, just apply broadly and see what happens. You said you were part of a bipoc group, are you urm?

Also, YMMV but I would skip the part where you fought the undergraduate administration over curriculum. Signals to law school administrators that you might pick fights with them. Wait until you get in the door, then do that.

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Re: 175 LSAT, 3.65 CAS GPA, and Complicated History

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm

The high LSAT and overcoming adversity, I see a lot of doors opening for you. I don't think you need a lot of advice.

Return to “What are my chances?”