ABA is looking to remove the LSAT requirement. If LSAT becomes redundant what will happen to those with sub 3? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dolna Ray

New

ABA is looking to remove the LSAT requirement. If LSAT becomes redundant what will happen to those with sub 3?

Post by Dolna Ray » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:44 am

So the news of ABA trying to do away with LSAT requirement made me think

This decision would spell doom for law school hopefulls (including me ) have either a sub 3 ugpa or our transcripts are rated Average or Below Average by LSAC.

For many applicants a 175+ LSAT is literally the highlight of their application. The only thing that makes them competitive.

If LSAT becomes redundant what will become of us?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: ABA is looking to remove the LSAT requirement. If LSAT becomes redundant what will happen to those with sub 3?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:14 am

Dolna Ray wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:44 am
news of ABA trying to do away with LSAT requirement
What news?

Didn't they functionally already get rid of the "LSAT requirement" by allowing GRE?

nixy

Gold

Re: ABA is looking to remove the LSAT requirement. If LSAT becomes redundant what will happen to those with sub 3?

Post by nixy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:58 pm

If it’s not required, could you still submit it? I realize it wouldn’t be as helpful if USNWR isn’t tracking/valuing it, but a high score might still be helpful.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:47 pm

The most extreme thing that would happen is that they go LSAT (and GRE) optional, in which case it will become like undergrad admissions currently are. Which is to say, not much will change. Applications will increase but top schools will continue to overwhelmingly accept only candidates with a solid combination of LSAT scores and UGPAs. So splitters will still have hope.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 am

talons2250 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:47 pm
The most extreme thing that would happen is that they go LSAT (and GRE) optional, in which case it will become like undergrad admissions currently are. Which is to say, not much will change. Applications will increase but top schools will continue to overwhelmingly accept only candidates with a solid combination of LSAT scores and UGPAs. So splitters will still have hope.
This. Candidates with strong LSAT scores will continue to submit them, and schools will continue to accept them. The problem is that the GRE isn't really a better test at a fundamental level than the LSAT (if you don't like the LSAT, there's nothing about the GRE that fixes most of those problems), but without any standardized test at all, it's hard to have any sort of criteria for admissions with totally different undergraduate programs on offer.

TLDR: the death of the LSAT has been greatly exaggerated. I don't see a universe where standardized tests are no longer an important component of law school admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”