Chance me: NYU Tax LLM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pikapika66666

New

Chance me: NYU Tax LLM

Post by pikapika66666 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:51 pm

Hi there,

I'm curious about my chances at NYU Tax LLM program. I'm posting because I couldn't find anyone who already posted with similar background/stats.

1. Graduated from T14 JD this year, GPA is 3.7+, class rank within 25% (probably around 20%), was on law review (but I don't think this matter much).
2. My biggest worry is whether I'll be able to demonstrate enough interest in tax to the admission officers. I only took one tax class (federal income tax) and got an A-, plus some transactional courses that touch on tax issues.
3. I might be able to get a LoR from my tax professor, but I don't think it will be a really strong one as I didn't establish a strong relationship with my prof while I was doing my JD. I don't have other tax-related internships yet, so other LoRs probably won't speak to my interests in tax.

Thanks in advance!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chance me: NYU Tax LLM

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:46 am

Good chance.

nealric

Re: Chance me: NYU Tax LLM

Post by nealric » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Highly doubt you would have trouble with getting in. LLM admissions really isn't that competitive compared to law school admissions, and you won't be the only applicant who has minimal tax background. I suppose the better question is why you want to do it. Do you have a post-grad job offer? If so, what makes you want to do more school instead. If you already have a Biglaw offer, I'd try to get your way into the tax group (by transfer if necessary) and then do it part time rather than just do the LLM.

Return to “What are my chances?”